Author Topic: Simviation Updated F/A-18 Hud  (Read 23431 times)

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
Re: Simviation Updated F/A-18 Hud
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 07:28:22 am »
WOW!!  Just had a hell-a-time trying to record 30secs in Fraps.  I was all over the place in the plane.

Any quick and dirty tutorials on how to make a decent .wmv video thats only about 22 mb's or whatever Spaz's video is?  Its a pain in the rear to switch on the f9 hotkey while holding a tab backpressure on the stick and keeping the throttle tended to, as needed.

Well, any ideas or any other good recording programs, give me a holler.

Laterz
Sludge

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 07:50:20 am »
Sludge (I guess I should call you that rather that fgrimley32), Yep I scares meself. What you see in the video is one of my first attempts to use the new HUD at that zoomed level. Believe me if you were scared - I was scared - but that is the nature of flight ops.   ;D   Download my PDFs from suggested sites earlier or see me and me mates doing A4G ops on HMAS Melbourne at: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=bengello&view=videos
my favourite clip is:
(these greyscale videos are RAN Official, taken to record any problems as required, otherwise the film was not developed if flight ops were OK).  ::)  Of course that was 35 years ago in a galaxy far far away....

What I have been doing is not much in the way of carrier landings in flightsims because up until now they were extremely disappointing for various reasons (described in other threads). However I'm realising that this 'new' method (for me) is satisfactory as I have been describing. I'm not used to all the Hornet doodads so I try to ignore them but get distracted (at this early stage) by the new learning curve required in FSX with the new HUD. So my video as shown was not an attempt to show how things should be done but HOW THINGS SHOULD NOT BE DONE.  ::)  Yeah it was poor through and through but instructive to me at least.

IF FSX users want to master all the Hornet features then that will be good. However 'flying on instruments' is not what I want to get out of the sim. I would prefer to fly visually and monitor the AoA indexer and altitude as required but otherwise fly visually. This is more difficult with only the HUD and small horizon for reference although I think I will get used to it. Now I need to practice and practice and practice. Most of my FSX flying has been this testing of the KAHU Skyhawk under the same conditions at NAS Nowra Runway 26. Sadly that development has stopped - not sure when it will continue now.

BTW I'm not rejecting your advice about how to fly the Hornet in a carrier circuit. My knowledge for the Hornet would come only from diagrams - online stories and or the Super Hornet NATOPS (which is different). My actual carrier day flying was done at 300 feet for a very short finals where we picked up the ball half way around. This is a nice feature of an actual mirror - rather than the Fresnel Lens systems. The downside is the accuracy especially at night where I know how to scare myself (and others - the LSOs hit the net). See this online PDF: http://www.filefront.com/12844254/RampStrike01Sept71storyA4G.pdf/  (7.5Mb)

Your advice is specific and well explained so I will give your suggestions a try. Yes carrier flying needs to be as simple as possible so that any variables are minimised. However there are a few drawbacks to the sim that cannot be overcome with only computer monitors. I would like to see an actual up to date Hornet simulator to have a go but I guess not in our RAAF part of the world. My first carrier landing was in an A4G Skyhawk on HMS Eagle. Most RAN pilots train with the RAAF for basic/advanced then go back to the RAN FAA. HMAS Melbourne was in refit when our front line squadron had the chance to use HMS Eagle (visiting) for deck ops. I thought that deck was small but then later saw the MELBOURNE deck for the first time.  :o

Because it is a sim I would recommend that users try 40 knot Wind over the deck (is the carrier actually moving in those missions? I have not figured that out yet). Anyway I'm guessing that that wind includes carrier movement to be a proper WOD. Having a stronger wind does help with more time in the groove and more power. I like to have the speedbrake out anyway (even though that is not real but this is a sim after all) for the same reason to have a bit more power on during the approach. I guess it is early days for me now because (to answer your question) I fly with the zoom view you see in the video. That video is recorded by FRAPS as I'm flying - seeing the same view. Otherwise the other videos are recorded playbacks (at Nowra). I have not looked to see if I can play back the mission now that I can save it. As I say early days for me in this 'new' version of the sim.

My screen is 1600x1200 (old cathode tube - can't stand the flat screens) at a no flicker refresh rate. Scenery and all frills set to zero with now the realism slider all the way to the right. Before it was set for the KAHU testing.

My suggestion for those who master all the tricks would be to fly more without looking at the HUD except for altitude and concentrate on the view during approach (when sometimes all the green stuff gets in the way) to fly 'meatball line up and airspeed' (ad nauseam). And have fun of course.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 10:24:26 am by SpazSinbad »
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

SpazSinbad

• A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 08:03:37 am »
Sludge, I have been typing a lot so have not had a chance to get back to FSX. My suggestion would be to use the latest version of FRAPS (if you don't have it already). I use the '`' (last key top left lower case) to start a FRAPS video recording. In FSX this key will bring up a check list or something which can be stopped easily enough. I start the video on the deck then do a free takeoff (GASP) because I can't be bothered messing about with the catapult. I would rather be flying. Anyway because that is out of the way I try to get setup quickly and then do the shortest circuits (you see that in the Nowra videos) just for the heck of it. Carrier circuits by their nature are usually short and sweet. Long in the groove is a no no for the LSO because he knows that more mistakes will be made etc. Also it is a hassle for others if they are in the circuit.

My computer can handle FRAPS recording at the max of 60 frames per second at max resolution (full screen). I have a lot of free space on the disk for FRAPS to record the large .AVI files. Then because I'm using either Vista or Win7RC the Windows Movie Maker will 'publish' the video into a suitable .WMV format. Accept the standard format for best results but you can vary it in Movie Maker. This is where I add music. I never fly with sound.

To end the video I hit 'cntrl + break/pause' and then stop FRAPS. Movie Maker will crunch the VERY LARGE .AVI file down to a reasonable size OK. For example the 22Mb .WMV 'bad carrier HUD demo landing' came from a 1.8GB FRAPS .AVI (recorded at max speed / resolution for best result at standard .WMV publish).

SpazSinbad

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 10:23:24 am »
Just to clarify why I posted the 'how not to carrier land video': it was only to show the new clear HUD at that zoom level to show how I was using it and to demonstrate that I found it useful. Whereas any other HUD / method of zoom or view was totally unsatisfactory as far as I was concerned. Of course other people will have their own opinions and that is fine with me.

What I think some do not understand about my methods is that I'm looking at only a few cues - nothing else. Hence the need to see clearly OUTSIDE the aircraft and through the HUD (because it is in the way!) to see the 'meatball, line up and airspeed (Optimum Angle of Attack)'. Now I'm not dense enough to not understand that things are done a little differently today because of the convenience of the HUD. Never mind - I'm not trying to fly an instrument approach but a visual one to the carrier. This 'method' will always be difficult due to the nature of the sim, with small computer monitors. Probably a combination of initial instrument approach, switching to a visual landing will be required. Whatever. What I will stress is that it is doable - both methods - with the Clear HUD zoomed to fill the screen with the AoA indexer in view. I'm open to people using other methods and doing their approach by the numbers. No problem. However I'm trying to describe is: how I go about it.

What needs to be remembered about the 'bad landing video' is that is was done at full fuel weight so I got 'underpowered' during the approach to be low and flat at the ramp etc. Before that my circuit height went haywire because I was looking at the non-essential stuff in the HUD. Silly me. Personally I don't see the point of putting a perfect carrier landing video anywhere; because these videos are online already (most would be edited - unlike mine which is the 'full monty' - unedited with all the errors). Showing error is instructive in itself because despite them I recover to land in what would only be described as 'adverse circumstances'. However this was not - nor is - my point. My point only was to provide some humour (albeit self-deprecating) to show the HUD and how I had come to grips with it (almost).  ;D

I have an amazing video clip to show my method of 'flying the aircraft' and not allow the 'aircraft to fly me' method - which some people mistakenly use but I'm loathe to show that video now. Don't despair - I will work on making the perfect carrier landing video but it will take time because it will be done in one take.... I was hoping that it would be done in a KAHU Skyhawk but that is only a dream right now.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 10:26:58 am by SpazSinbad »

Doum76

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 03:28:36 pm »
WOW!!  Just had a hell-a-time trying to record 30secs in Fraps.  I was all over the place in the plane.

Any quick and dirty tutorials on how to make a decent .wmv video thats only about 22 mb's or whatever Spaz's video is?  Its a pain in the rear to switch on the f9 hotkey while holding a tab backpressure on the stick and keeping the throttle tended to, as needed.

Well, any ideas or any other good recording programs, give me a holler.

Laterz
Sludge

When i record with Fraps i, afterward compress it using http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/#

A Fraps 1-2 gig video ends up about 100 megs video. i use on the right hand option in the main window:
Video Option:
Codec: mpeg4
Size: Original
Bitrate: 4000 (The highest, the bigest, better quality movies)
FrameRate: 25

The movies i updated on youtube are compressed with those settings

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 03:56:24 pm »
Thanks fellas...

Yeah, I will try that converter and see how it works, Doum.

Spaz, I hear ya on your video and also, your HUD zoom.  Me, I'm at the opposite end, if my rig can get me the frame rates, Ill unzoom to .50 til I get lined up, then zoom into .80 for a good HUD picture that still lets me see whats going on.  But, I think what youre saying is that each has his own way, and I agree.  I just was replying cause I wasnt sure how good you were with the fsx hornet doing usn style landings.  But now that youve said what you said, I'm pretty sure you know the deal and the numbers and where to hit points in the racetrack.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, Ill try to get some decent 30 seconder's in (im not buying the full fraps), and then get them uploaded to Youtube.  Ill probly do an "abeam" position, and then the "start" when Im just crossing the wake to a good line up when I zoom in for flying the meatball.  Youll also have to bear with me as my Hornet has the gear compression mod, which I really like compared to the tail high, nose gear always fully compressed default Hornet, which is WAYYYY OFF!  The only bad thing is that I have to turn off some realism settings so I can land without it registering a crash.  Oh well, what we do for good looks, right?

Well, Im off to work... when I get home tonite, Ill start working the Fraps to see what I can come up with.
Laterz
Sludge

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2009, 08:56:29 am »
OK fellas...

Just put my video up on Youtube...  check it out here, or with the imbed, if I did that right and it imbeds properly.

Tell me what you think.

Again, much thanks to Doum and Spaz for their k-nowledge, especially the quick tidbits about posting videos.
Laterz
Sludge

SpazSinbad

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2009, 10:44:09 am »
Sludge! Do you want an LSO debrief?  ;D I presume on your monitor you can see the AoA indexer - however in your video it is difficult to see. I have remade the video with brightness turned up to see the indexer clearly.

One question: was the video recorded in real time or later from a replay?

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2009, 04:49:15 pm »
Spaz...

Sure, fire away.  I know I have to nose down a bit and power up, but I was mostly concerned with making a decent video and hitting the F9 button in time, then settling in for a decent landing.  It was recorded real time.  And, I only have the 30 sec fraps as Im not buying the whole package for 40 bucks.  I love flight simming and now that I can show the vids, but no way Im laying down those bones just to show videos.

BTW, yeah I can see the indexer clearly.  Ive been messing around with the zoom, mostly self-debating about where/when I can see the meatball and when Ill lose sight of it and what gives me the most landing SA (situational awareness) vs. playability.  Toss up between .80 and .70 zoom for that.  Either way, shoot, your comments are always good to hear.

Later
Sludge

« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 04:56:16 pm by fgrimley32 »

SpazSinbad

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2009, 09:52:18 pm »
Sludge, OK - thanks for info about the video and how it was made etc. Perhaps when you remake the .AVI file from FRAPS you can 'brighten' the video so that the AoA indexer is visible? And bear in mind that an LSO has an outside view of the approach (only later can he perhaps see a HUD video of an approach). So we are privileged to see such a thing. However an LSO has the training and experience to really 'know' what is happening during the approach. Bear in mind I don't have any LSO training nor experience on the Hornet but I have suffered through many an LSO debrief flying an A4G. Please take my comments with a 'grain of salt' as I realise the conditions in the sim are not ideal and the other issues about making a video (pressing buttons right when you want to be concentrating on the landing). BTW the many online LSO NATOPS clearly explain the jargon used to describe an approach - this jargon is recorded in a logbook, so that the LSO debrief as soon as possible after the landing is accurate and fresh in both the pilot and LSO mind, for good recall. Debriefing much later is not much good at all; especially if another approach has been made. During FCLP sometimes a pilot will conduct two sorties - with perhaps 7 approaches each - so the debrief can only be about the trends seen in the number of approaches, with perhaps an individual bad approach being minutely debriefed. So I'll get to it....

The entire approach is at 'upper green chevron and doughnut lit' which indicates a 'little slow'. All the way the approach is slightly low, with 'at the ramp' a flattening so that just before touch down (watching the mirror) the aircraft is starting to go 'over the top' with the ball rising. I guess this is the effect of adding power (LSO calls for power earlier). However because the aircraft is 'cocked up' "nose too high" (slightly slow - meaning higher angle of attack - meaning the hook is lower) the aircraft catches a two wire (ideal is three wire). To have a steady 'slightly slow' AoA means extra power is required to maintain that less than optimum producing a 'nose too high' attitude. Hope that makes sense. Best to have the doughnut all the way.

[Without being in the aircraft with you at the time to know, I can only generalise about the correction required for the 'slightly low/slow' condition you were in. One thing to do is follow what you see. Green chevron pointing down (above orange doughnut) indicates 'put the nose down' to get back to the doughnut (Optimum Angle of Attack). If nothing else is needed then the aircraft will accelerate to a fast if the power is kept at the same level (to maintain the 'cocked up' or 'slightly slow/nose high' attitude) and if for example you were accurately on glideslope and maintaining it (albeit incorrectly - remember power controls glideslope - not the nose position / AoA). However in this instance you are slightly low so keeping the power on will get you back to glideslope. However I'm not suggesting you be smooth; or try to do two things at once. Any second guessing headwork is not required. All of the approach is real time rapid response to what you are seeing during the approach. Respond rapidly to maintain the ideal - make adequately large corrections to get back to ideal - do it in such a way that no thinking is required - as the mantra says "just do it".] (I have seen many stories written in such a way that the pilot is conveying 'what they are thinking' during the approach such that they anticipate the burble effect or something. This is not what is happening but only a literary device for the reader to try to understand what a carrier pilot is doing. The pilot is responding ideally to what he is seeing only - all the rest about anticipation and foresight is only for the briefing room and a novel. Which brings me to another point perhaps overlooked. Anticipating when a correction needs to be made and then the correction corrected is important. When the ball starts to move - correct it. Don't wait until more correction is needed because the ball has moved more. Don't anticipate except in the sense that any correction requires another correction the other way - but a smaller one. So it goes. A carrier approach is a series of corrections that get smaller and smaller around the ideal approach - which is never smooth from pilot perspective. Yet it may look smooth from an outside perspective. However the LSO sees all and knows from this knowledge / experience what the pilot is doing. No point in arguing with the LSO.  :o  )  ]

Because both conditions of 'slightly slow' and 'slightly low' were seen all the time it would indicate that perhaps you are trying to be too smooth. That is, not making enough correction to get back to ideal. Yes one can be making adjustments that only result in the same 'not ideal' condition; but that is it. One needs to get back to ideal and not accept anything less. Being smooth gets no extra marks in the LSO critique; or makes for a better landing.

For example in the LSO criteria an ideal OK pass (the mythical 'greenie') can be gained with slight deviations and good corrections to get back to ideal. No mention of 'smooth'. Smooth is not good. Carrier pilots work hard to be at the ideal all the time. Any video of a real approach (there is a classic Hoover approach) have the engines cycling up and down with things otherwise looking good. This is the way of it. Trying to be smooth is a big mistake.

This is where making large corrections early is good so that any deviations later in the approach can be smaller, ie. with smaller corrections. Smooth it ain't.  ;D Accept nothing less than being at the ideal 'meatball lineup and airspeed'. And I accept you were trying to be there.

Yes I agree about NOT being able to see the mirror right 'at the ramp' close to touchdown is a problem. That is why my zoom level tries to not have that problem (introducing other issues). No one wants to be messing with the zoom at that point, so I suggest that you have a zoom level for finals that allows you to see the mirror all the way. Carrier pilots watch the mirror even to touchdown (you can see their head move to the left as they touchdown) so that the arrest can be a surprise. They are never 'deck spotting', that is judging their approach by just looking at the deck (rather than the mirror for glideslope indication). Yes they look at lineup but only that. Cycle quickly through the mantra of 'meatball, lineup & airspeed' without dwelling on any single thing. It all fits together. All must be as perfect as they can be made all the time. And yes it is hard work. But satisfying.  :D

As I have mentioned - take my comments as intended. This is a simulator with many issues about making it really difficult to see details to the accuracy required - and it is meant to be fun. Certainly I'm impressed that finally carrier landings are realistic (for a desktop computer sim) in FSX Accelerator with the Hornet. This situation can only improve over time especially with a wall sized monitor!  8)

Also please bear in mind that my comments for an individual approach expand to try to explain general issues about carrier landings. So for example the 'lined up slightly left' needs to be corrected early also. LSOs are your friend - sort of - because they are very 'picky' (critical/criticising all the time) friends.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 10:21:55 pm by SpazSinbad »

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2009, 10:58:12 pm »
Hey Spaz...

Dont worry, I dont take your comments in bad way at all.  Thats why I said fire away, cause I have very thick skin, but even so, your comments are good not bad.  Dont know if you are saying that because there are people that dont take your comments for what they are??... I take it as good criticism to get better.  I do like to hear what youre saying, cause you have a great deal of FSX F-18/Carrier Ops ka-nowledge.  Also, if you got time, I wouldnt mind a good VIDEO crititique or suggestions (ie, started recording too late, maybe use fsx recorder and then playback and record what I want using Fraps from the replay...), things along those lines.  So I can make some better videos using the free 30 seconds version of Fraps.

My biggest problem is the zoom.  Lately, instead of the full HUD (.90 or greater minimum) zoom, ive been doing the opposite.  Im gonna start trying to land at .60 zoom.  This way I can see my HUD/in-plane data as well as boat/meatball viz while landing.  If this zoom works out I will keep it, as I fly the racetrack 600 ft pattern in .40 zoom, so I can see the wake crossing without turning my head, then once on proper line-up, I just have to hit the plus bar TWICE and Im all set.  No swiveling, no offcenter head positioning, just two plusses and I'm ready to work on actually landing.  The less keyboard to slow me up and get me off kilter, the better.

Another problem, and you alluded to this, is once I do get setup, my problem is my throttle.  I have a saitek x52 setup, but swear my throttle is wayy too touchy.  I mean, dont worry, I know what you mean when you say "best to have the doughnut all the way", but with my throttle it seems that when I correct, I overcorrect and chase.  I dont mind being not smooth and getting on the ball as needed, but when I chase, I bolter.  I did that twice before saving this video, but when I just settled for a slightly low/slow, I get a two wire when needed, plus it was done at 3am local.  Will continue to work with my throttle settings and see if that can be rectified.  I know about goosing the power, then once back on glideslope, power back and keep the doughnut, but my throttle gets really touchy, so we will see what happens with that situation after playing with the sensitivity settings.

Finally, I do have a LOT of fun landing with this jet.  I personally love the new HUD and that was my main reason for posting this video, to show that thing off to others that are wanting a HUD that is far superior and realistic to the default HUD.  Landing on LAND is not even a task anymore.  Ive landed in the dead on night, full thunderstorm, med-hi winds, minimal visual cues and this HUD/ILS came thru like a champ.  If that doesnt tell you, nothing will.  I guess thats why I cant get enough of carrier landings.  They are the hardest challenge, could always be done better, and once you land carrier style, everything else has the volume turned down really low.

Laterz
Sludge

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2009, 11:11:38 pm »
Also Spaz...

In my future videos, Ill try to increase the brightness, as I didnt know the indexer was coming across as hard to see?  Was it hard to see even on the HD version of the video?  If so, let me know...

For me, on the first page of this thread, my dusk landing picture, thats how clear the indexer is to me when playing.  When I get home, Ill check on my monitor and see how bad it is in the youtube HD.

Thanks
Sludge

SpazSinbad

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2009, 11:47:13 pm »
Sludge, thanks for understanding.  :D If I post a video I'm happy to be criticised as was done with the sad bad approach seen earlier of mine. However I always keep in mind and I hope any potential viewers that Fsim carrier landings are very difficult for all the reasons highlighted in this and other threads. It is a very artificial environment made more difficult due to the size of the screen we look at during the approach. The real world is much bigger with required detail much easier to see.

A big issue for fixing problems with the KAHU A4K Skyhawk is exactly the throttle response issues. I'm using the standard setup but when we get closer to ideal I'll then mess with the 'realism' settings and do the same with the Hornet but for now I leave settings at default because that is the way most users will use the sim and I'm testing for that situation. Back to the Hornet....

Each will find their own way 'how to deck land'. All I can describe is an "ideal" that not even I can achieve with my setup so I'm hoping this is clear. Carrier aviation is exhilarating and nothing else will do. Complancency about runway landings can be a problem though.  :o  That is why some of my runway landings are also not ideal but then again there is no mirror to guide me. sigh icon.

Sludge because you restrict yourself to the 30 seconds or whatever it is then you yourself will have to judge how best to use that 30 seconds. I would suggest trying to get only the LSO call of the arrest wire and then end. You can edit the .AVI movie in Windows Movie Maker to cut out any bits at the end that are irrelevant. I try to save with the highest quality settings and add brightness if required. Only you can judge that and hope that is OK. If you do add brightness then this is a worthwhile comment to add about the video. Dusk / Dawn is good but remember really dark approaches are not done via a normal circuit but from straight in instrument approaches.

Having tried an actual wind of 45 knots I decided that it was too much (still not sure if the ship is moving?) so going back to 25 knots seemed more realistic for the sim. Yeah throttle sensitivity is an issue but you will adjust to whatever is needed in time. I would suggest get the throttle settings adjusted early to what they might be and then take time to adjust to that and leave the settings as they are. Throttle to keep on the glideslope is what make carrier landings different. Nose keeps angle of attack at optimum but transitory movements in both throttle and nose will produce 'unwanted' effects that require further adjustment. This is why a carrier approach is one 'one armed paper hanger' constant activity. Nothing stays the same - everything is in motion - without over doing it of course. Practice will get the good middle way between being too smooth and not enough control movement to get back to ideal glidepath etc. Hey think of it this way. There is no cross wind. Lack of practice at crosswind landings makes runway landings a hazard. OK?  ::)

For example a Skyhawk had troubles in crosswind hence spoilers developed for it. Also carrier landings required twice the tyre pressure compared to land, then landings with carrier tyre pressures on runways initially were hazardous until tyre pressures reduced for land ops. Many a Skyhawk pilot after long carrier deployment might forget firstly to arm the spoilers and adjust braking on the runway for reduced effect due to the higher tyre pressure initially - the result? Frantic braking with a blown tire at end of runway etc. - or at least hot brakes. Complacency kills.  :-\  I think I read somewhere that Hornet tyre pressures are also different for ship/shore ops but I have not checked on that fact (not relevant for the sim though).

Sludge quote: "...when I just settled for a slightly low/slow..." You may achieve this 'slightly low/slow' but if the LSO does not see you trying to correct (but result is 'slightly low/slow') the LSO will send you back home. There is no substitute for NOT getting back to the ideal - all the time. Nothing else will do - there is no substitute. Why?

Being 'slightly low/slow' leaves NO margin for error. Maintain low slow and you will have a ramp strike if at the last there is not enough power and margin for error just before the ramp when 'the burble' (turbulence created over the ramp or just before by the island/wind effect). On some carriers it is less than others I have read but nevertheless another factor that can grab the unwary who are accepting less than ideal. Another factor becoming a hazard in a steady state approach is that the engine is not cycling to be responsive, even if only a little bit. No one can start an ideal carrier approach and expect everything to remain the same for an ideal approach and arrest. Ain't gonna happen.  ;D  Work hard at starting with and maintaining the ideal approach as described. This aspect of carrier landings cannot be emphasised enough. With practice it makes more sense and does get easier for you to then notice more detailed errors etc. Chasing perfection for a carrier approach never stops. That is what makes them (apart from being difficult) the most interesting. Even FCLP is difficult. A carrier pilot uses the mirror on land for every approach also. Carrier pilots like to practice landings under all conditions.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 12:00:52 am by SpazSinbad »

SpazSinbad

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2009, 12:17:38 am »
Sludge, about the video situation. Usually my land runway videos are made from the sim playback. The video is then remade into an .WMV. Because mostly my testing is a quick circuit then that makes for a short video but sometimes the testing is for non-circuit flying. Notice there is no testing at a carrier for the KAHU yet so that aspect of FSX Hornet flying is not practiced much. However having had some practice lately I can see the benefit of a dawn / dusk setup where perhaps the sun is behind the aircraft during the approach so that there is some better daylight visibility not only of the carrier but of the AoA indexer while keeping the nice bright mirror and nightlighting of the carrier deck.

Having a view setup where the mirror is not obscured (mentioned earlier) is the best IMHO. What is important is what the LSO comments on (except if your circuit is really silly and then he will send you home or at least waveoff) is the final approach. So having the video include during base turn to arrest is all that is required. Anything beforehand becomes boring.  8)  If your heartrate does not increase during the FSX carrier landings you are not trying hard enough.   ;D

Back to video. I have never used the 'Recorder' app to know what it will do. If a 'playback' is not available in the sim as it seems not to be in a carrier mission environment then I'll use the real time recording function in FRAPS. The '`' key suggested is perhaps a problem when you have to start a short video. Certainly start the video/ fix the view during base turn so that you can concentrate on nothing else but the approach. Always the 'in close' to arrest portion is the most important, that is where the action counts and where adjustments need to be proportional because anyway at that stage you are on the ideal approach.

For a new carrier pilot it can be surprising how 'bad' their approaches will be for the LSO (which is perplexing for the nugget). To the new pilot things look OK but that is an aspect of their inexperience and inability to notice details etc. As their experience increases the new pilot (nugget) approaches will get much better, for all the reasons described. They will notice that the ball is starting to move and they adjust sooner, rather than wait for the ball to be obviously out of ideal, and then make an adjustment. Also things can go badly wrong 'at the ramp' if the pilot over corrects at the end. Wave off to try again if things go wrong at the end rather than do some crazy dive for the deck or after burner to climb over the ramp for an arrest. At least you can walk away from your crashes - in FSX.

SpazSinbad

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2009, 12:48:38 am »
Another reason why 'low/slow' is not an option. Carriers move, particularly up and down - often at the wrong time. Carriers move a lot and no one can anticipate accurately when this movement may be more than usual at any given moment. That is why precision at all times during a carrier approach is important.

Be on glideslope so that if the carrier moves (even though glideslope is stabilised) there is room for that - for a safe arrest. Be on speed in case of a waveoff so that (amongst other things) there is a proper wave off environment. Also there is the 'hook to ramp' clearance issue when not at correct Angle of Attack.

A carrier is not a fixed 12,000 foot runway.  ;D  There is no margin for error.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 09:36:00 pm by SpazSinbad »