Author Topic: Drive times during boarding  (Read 3190 times)

Tobus

Drive times during boarding
« on: July 03, 2019, 07:44:24 pm »
Hello,

i just upgraded from GSX to GSX2 and updated.
I now see, in particular with the MJ Dash8-q400 (no other ac tested yet) that boarding takes a very long time, specifically because the luggage boys only start driving towards the aircraft after all pax are loaded.
I would expect boaring of pax and loading of bags to be simultaneous. I see no entry in the config window to play with this. Can you assist in order to get boarding of pax and bags more simultaneous?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Drive times during boarding
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 01:32:41 pm »
Boarding time for passengers is controlled by the Passenger Density, the higher the density, the shorter is the boarding, with of course a bigger impact on fps.

The loaders carts will take a bit more to drive around the airplane, because its cargo door is on the left side, but that's shouldn't add more than 10-15 seconds so, I'm sure this is not the problem.

pilot3033

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 07:13:51 pm »
Boarding time for passengers is controlled by the Passenger Density, the higher the density, the shorter is the boarding, with of course a bigger impact on fps.

The loaders carts will take a bit more to drive around the airplane, because its cargo door is on the left side, but that's shouldn't add more than 10-15 seconds so, I'm sure this is not the problem.

For what it's worth I noticed an increase in time, too, for the fuel and catering trucks as well. I thought at first it was just some add-on airports with a small number of "fuel truck depot" positions, but I wonder if the logic changed about where the vehicles can start from.

Likewise, it would be nice if the baggage carts could start driving during the boarding when the crew boards, instead of waiting for passenger boarding to start.

If I could make a request, it would be to have a custom baggage cart point similar to how custom pushback is now done.

robcorp

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 08:12:41 pm »
I've also noticed that everything takes a long time - although I put it down to operator error by me.

But it did make me wonder if there couldn't be more functions operating in parallel: refuelling while bags are being loaded, and/or passengers embarking.

IRL I've been on aircraft where the cabin crew have told us not to fasten seatbelts because refuelling was under way. Can GSX do more than one operation at a time?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 08:19:16 pm »
I've also noticed that everything takes a long time

Nothing has changed compared with the previous version. The passenger boarding time is controlled by the passenger density, when there are visible passengers.

But it did make me wonder if there couldn't be more functions operating in parallel: refuelling while bags are being loaded, and/or passengers embarking.

It's already doing like this, since several months.

IRL I've been on aircraft where the cabin crew have told us not to fasten seatbelts because refuelling was under way. Can GSX do more than one operation at a time?

That's why, when you call refueling after Boarding, GSX will print this message:

"WARNING: Refueling with passengers onboard. Fasten Seat Belts OFF"

robcorp

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 09:03:08 pm »
Ah-ha! I shall have to look more carefully at the sequencing in future!

Tobus

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 10:30:17 pm »

Hi Umberto,

let me elaborate as it's not the driving to the other side of aircraft thing.
On the Dash8 I notice that pax are boarded, and when they are boarded and the bus has left, only then do the cargo pullers appear in the distance, drive towards me and when they get to me load the bags on the aircraft. All the while the belt car is already in place. This easily takes 3-4 minutes with pax (and me  ;) )  waiting it out.

I just tested on the milviz 737-200: when I (de)board there, pax and bags are (off)loaded simulataneously, so not like on the Dash8.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 03:37:34 pm »
let me elaborate as it's not the driving to the other side of aircraft thing.

It's likely the loaders wait to start precisely because of that. I don't remember, since it has been like this for years, but I'll check.

Tobus

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 04:14:46 pm »
It's likely the loaders wait to start precisely because of that. I don't remember, since it has been like this for years, but I'll check.

Ok thanks. I see same sort of behaviour on the Milviz 737-200 configured as combi (cargo or pax no problem). The pax and bags go at the same time, the loader waiting for cargo pallets. Pallets start to drive when pax and bags are loaded and bus/cars are completely away. Only then will the car with pallets appear in the distance and drive in.