Author Topic: GSX pushback wrong way  (Read 2826 times)

Driver170

GSX pushback wrong way
« on: July 02, 2019, 08:03:05 pm »
Just done a pushback at EGSS UK2000 airport. Only nose LEFT was available in the options because of EGSS terminal but GSX pushback my nose to the right direction facing the dead end to the terminal. Not sure what caused this?

P3D V4.5

GSX newest update

Prosim 737

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX pushback wrong way
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 09:48:18 pm »
As explained on the manual and as discussed many times already in the forum, Left/Right shouldn't be taken literally, they only have a meaning if GSX can find two alternative nodes, so Left and Right will instruct it which one to prefer. But if there are no alternatives, Left or Right really means "push to the only point I found".

Also, you said there's only Left available, and GSX pushed with your nose to the Right. That's EXACTLY what it's supposed to do: Left really means "Nose Right/Tail Left", which is consistent with the default pushback standard.

So, if that "Left" direction (which really means "Nose Right") resulted in your nose in front of the terminal, then the problem is the original scenery developer, who should have set "Right" instead, because Right is with the nose to the Left. Sure, this would likely result in your airplane tail INTO the terminal, but that's precisely why you need GSX, because this situation is NOT solvable with the default Left/Right strategy.

This is of course explained with a similar situation at Page 36, which explains why you need a Custom Pushback.

One that, with the new Custom Pushback option in the latest update, should be much easier to do than before.

Driver170

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 12:14:29 am »
Hi,

Ok makes sense but then all scenery developers have got it wrong because it’s always been LEFT for nose left and RIGHT for nose right

torsten

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 12:26:30 am »
Hi,

Ok makes sense but then all scenery developers have got it wrong because it’s always been LEFT for nose left and RIGHT for nose right

For sure you are right.
I have written this to him a long time ago, but he dont beleave me.
As i learnt to do a pushback in EDDP for DHL we learnt to say something like...

"Nose to the left/right" and never ever Tail to the left/right.
That makes also no sense for the pilots, it is just confusing all.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 02:03:02 am »
I have written this to him a long time ago, but he dont beleave me.

Oh, not again this...

It's not that I don't "believe" you, it's that we INTENTIONALLY decided to conform to the simulator standard, which has been there for years, and use two keystrokes, with their official definition, which are:

Shift P and then 1, is called by Microsoft "Pushback Left"

Shift P and then 2, is called by Microsoft "Pushback Right"

And guess what, when you press Shift P and then 1, the airplane TAIL will go to the Left, and the airplane NOSE will go to the Right.

Now, you can say everything you want about what's used in real world but the fact is, this is how THE SIMULATOR works, this is how the SDK works, this is how all default AFCAD file are made, and this is how 3rd party AFCAD files are *supposed* to be made for, even long before GSX, when the default Pushback was used.

So, obviously (and I think I already explained this to you so many times), we couldn't reverse the standard, both because it would cause a whole big mess with default AFCADs, which were *surely* made by Microsoft following THEIR own convention of what Left/Right means, but also because we assumed 3rd party developers would follow the SDK standard as well, otherwise the default pushback wouldn't work as expected.

But again, if this really disturbs you so much, it's an easy fix to change the Pushback labels as you see fit, since GSX being the incredibly flexible program that it is, allows to change the Pushback labels with any string, and this feature has been there for years.

And again, as explained so many times already, when a Custom Pusback is created, Left/Right don't really have any meaning anymore, since their only use was to drive the *search* strategy of existing points in the AFCAD, following the aforementioned MS standard, but when a Pushback is Custom, there's no search for points anymore, it will go where you want and you can call it as you like.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 02:05:31 am by virtuali »