Author Topic: Icing conditions above 10c  (Read 1744 times)

p3dx3

Icing conditions above 10c
« on: April 02, 2019, 08:52:47 am »
I might have found the problem for telling me icing conditions even though temp is far above 10c
Requested deboarding after landing. Then requested pushback. Given icing conditions warning by marshaller. I have the beta dll for p3d 4.4
Plus the marshaller is moonwalking and frozen having no animations after I landed.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Icing conditions above 10c
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 12:00:01 pm »
We already know the reason of the problem, which is caused by Metar data arriving incomplete or not arriving at all, or just being outdated, and GSX needs to read the full Metar report instead of the temperature, because only the full Metar provides with the Dew point, since GSX is correctly using the Dew point instead of "just" the temperature to detect icing.

And, as explained several times, it was a conscious design decision to always ALLOW deicing (which you can always refuse), when the Metar data is missing/corrupted/outdated, rather than PREVENT deicing, which on some airplanes that simulate icing effect could be dangerous because, of course, incomplete data might very well happen when the temperature IS below zero, but then you wouldn't notice it as a "bug".

That's why, for the next update, we already changed the method to detect icing, by checking BOTH temperature for the Metar AND the temperature from the standard temperature variable and, if they disagree, we'll trust the temperature.

Plus the marshaller is moonwalking and frozen having no animations after I landed.

Is this fixed if you restart Couatl before landing or soon after landing ?

p3dx3

Re: Icing conditions above 10c
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 03:12:55 am »
We already know the reason of the problem, which is caused by Metar data arriving incomplete or not arriving at all, or just being outdated, and GSX needs to read the full Metar report instead of the temperature, because only the full Metar provides with the Dew point, since GSX is correctly using the Dew point instead of "just" the temperature to detect icing.

And, as explained several times, it was a conscious design decision to always ALLOW deicing (which you can always refuse), when the Metar data is missing/corrupted/outdated, rather than PREVENT deicing, which on some airplanes that simulate icing effect could be dangerous because, of course, incomplete data might very well happen when the temperature IS below zero, but then you wouldn't notice it as a "bug".

That's why, for the next update, we already changed the method to detect icing, by checking BOTH temperature for the Metar AND the temperature from the standard temperature variable and, if they disagree, we'll trust the temperature.

Is this fixed if you restart Couatl before landing or soon after landing ?

Thanks for the update and yes restarting fixes the animations. I thought the icing message I only get on temps above 10c if I skip the boarding process but I might be wrong