Author Topic: Steam Catapult Effects for default carrier  (Read 13849 times)

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
Steam Catapult Effects for default carrier
« on: July 27, 2009, 01:16:03 am »
Whilst poking around, I discovered some unused attachpoints in the default aircraft carrier model that comes with the FSX AccPack.

The attachpoints looked like they were originally being developed for some steam catapult effects that never came to fruition. So being the tinkerer that I am, I decided to have a go at putting them to their originally intended use.

There is a new carrier model file and associated effects files that can be downloaded from:
http://voodoo.wikispaces.com/Steam+Catapult

The following stills don't show the animation too well, it looks better in the flesh, but you get the idea. All 4 cats are wired up for it and the effect triggers as aircraft launch from each catapult.
FSX Community Tweaks and Fixes at Voodoo's Hangar - voodoo.wikispaces.com

JamesChams

Re: Steam Catapult Effects for default carrier
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 01:26:21 am »
Nice Work!  8)

PS: Is one able to tweak the vapor plumes; making them larger or smaller, etc.?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 01:41:24 am by JamesChams »
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

skimmer

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 01:37:54 am »
Hi VooDoo,its been a while but I remember when you first setup your site. Anyway Im giving the cat steam a try and thankyou. ;D

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 02:10:40 am »
@James,

Hi, James. Yes, if your happy messing around with fx files then you can alter the X and Y Scale Goals in the files...catapul1, catapul2 and catapul3 to alter the overall size of the plumes. They are set to 8 currently, but feel free to try other values out to suit.

The effect looks best when the carrier is moving, looks a little odd when the carrier is stationary (like if you are using aicarriers and command the ship to stop). But that's just down to the way the attachpoints were presented in the model.

@Skimmer,

Hi mate, nice to hear from you again. I hope the steam adds a wee bit more to an otherwise empty default carrier deck, but if turns out you prefer it without, it's easy enough to remove (just remember to make a copy of your original carrier model file before you start).

- Voo

JamesChams

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 04:10:38 am »
... Yes, if your happy messing around with fx files then you can alter the X and Y Scale Goals in the files...catapul1, catapul2 and catapul3 to alter the overall size of the plumes. They are set to 8 currently, but feel free to try other values out to suit.

The effect looks best when the carrier is moving, looks a little odd when the carrier is stationary (like if you are using aicarriers and command the ship to stop). But that's just down to the way the attachpoints were presented in the model.
Mr. Voodoo,
Thank you, I will try and do something with it later.  But, you need to get intouch with Javier and talk to him about adding these to the next update of his package(s).

Also, I though that I'd do a demo video for you so that users can see what it actually looks like in FSX.  My way of saying thanks for the freebee.  ;)  Here it is just use the Youtube plug-in code and add it to your post if you want to.
Code: [Select]
[youtube]c4sgSepTazQ[/youtube]

Thanks again!  8)
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

vuong

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 08:20:57 am »
Hi Woodoo,

I've been searching the Internet for the last few days regarding how to add catapult steam on carriers.
Thank you very much

Jimmy

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 09:14:53 am »
@James

Hey, James, thanks for doing that. Your video clip is much better than pics to demonstrate something like this. And thanks for the code to embed, that's real useful to know.

Can we just leave your post up with the video embedded as is for folks to see?

What software do you find the best for making clips like that?

Cheers, James! :)

@Jimmy,
Thanks Jimmy, hope this is something like what you were looking for. If you find something else out there, come back and let us know about it.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 12:00:29 pm by Voodoo »

JamesChams

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 05:39:26 pm »
... Can we just leave your post up with the video embedded as is for folks to see? What software do you find the best for making clips like that?
Mr. Voodoo,
Yes, I'll leave the clip up for users to see.  I made it using FRAPS (FSX in-game Capture) and Windows Movie Maker (for the Credits Title and final publishing).  :)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

wilycoyote4

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 10:34:52 pm »
I'm having a problem, see screeny, please.  I'll double check my installation.  The steam vapor in the cat shuttle track only appears as pictured.

I've tried both the default and Javier's carriers in both the AICarriers and an AIBoat route.  I must guess I'm doing something wrong.  Can anyone offer help?  Has anyone found a similiar problem?

JamesChams

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 01:16:16 am »
Mr. wilycoyote4,

The effect has limitations on Javier's Carriers.  It ONLY shows at that one spot because Javier needs to modify the model to include the effect into it.  However, on the AICarriers is does show up and will look just like Mr. Voodoo's pics, if the carrier is at rest (NOT in motion), and like the video I posted, if it is moving forward (in motion).

Hope that explains things.  :)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

Intrepid

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 02:46:36 am »
VooDoo: James ;
Incredible..
You guys work well together
Randy

skimmer

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 05:40:22 pm »
Hoo Ya! The modes on the cat steam work and look much better,I went with 9 on the X and Y scale and Thanks much. (mate) :D :D ;D

« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 12:12:03 am by skimmer »

Orion

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 07:31:33 am »
Looks great - about to test it out :)!

Does anyone else recall hearing (around/before the release of Acceleration) that the carrier cables were originally going to be animated in a similar method used for the EH101 sling, but the feature was cut to make the release on time?  Does anyone know if it would be possible to make that feature work again?

wilycoyote4

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 08:20:48 pm »
Hoo Ya! The modes on the cat steam work and look much better,I went with 9 on the X and Y scale and Thanks much. (mate) :D :D ;D

Sorry, not sure what you mean, could you post the data so I, or others, can us it?

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 11:51:14 pm »
Hi Wilycoyote,

If you go back to the top of the thread, you'll find the links to the files you need, and in the fourth post down, the instructions on what to alter if you want to tinker with the effect.