Author Topic: Stuttering in FS9: Can it be fixed?  (Read 14396 times)

crunk747

Stuttering in FS9: Can it be fixed?
« on: July 21, 2009, 08:29:32 pm »

Hello all,

Just a week ago I got my new computer that finally handle FSX. It has a Core i7 920 (not OC'd yet), GTX285 Black Edition, 6GB Corsair RAM, EVGA X58 LE mobo, and a Ultra X-Blaster case. This can run FSX pretty good it stuttered at first, but I was able to fix it with a bufferpools tweak from the Orbx forum. However when I use FS9 I get 50-70 fps even at FSDT airports, but it stutters alot which is clearly noticeable when you are having high frames like that. Can stuttering in FS9 be fixed with a tweak or something? I have heard bufferpools don't work in FS9 just X. Any support is good.

Thanks,
Dan

JFKpilot

Re: Stuttering in FS9: Can it be fixed?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 08:47:22 pm »
The texture resizer (available for all airports except KORD I think?) helps a lot against stuttering. It resizes the ground textures from 1024x1024 to 512x512. The loss of quality isn't too bad but there is a noticeable improvement in smoothness.  Just go to the "Products Support" section of the appropriate airport(s) and download, it's pretty self-explanatory.
Flight is the only truly new sensation than men have achieved in modern history.  -James Dickey

crunk747

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 08:56:50 pm »
Ok thank you JFKpilot will give that a try, but it seems to stutter wherever I go and not just FSDT airports.
I'll test it and see what happens  8)

Regards,

Dan

JFKpilot

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 09:29:15 pm »
I thought you were referring to just Fsdt airports, my bad. You said you get 50-70 fps, does that mean you have fps set to unlocked? Maybe you should lock it at 30 or a similar number? 
Flight is the only truly new sensation than men have achieved in modern history.  -James Dickey

crunk747

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 09:59:11 pm »
Yes, I always have the frames to unlimited, but you cant really tell a difference from 50 frames to 30 frames so I will also give that a try along with the texture resizer. Do u know if bufferpools work in FS9?

Regards,
Dan

JFKpilot

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 10:15:46 pm »
No, I don't think there's a bufferpools tweak in fs9. There's some other tweaks you can use, but before we get into tweaking frenzy I'd try the other stuff first.

skimmer

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 10:58:30 pm »
Dont set your frames to unlimited.You cant see difference but your comp does. Same with your sceanery settings,set them lower as well and like all else you got to try all settings and make sacrifice. You got a good comp but even the best dont handle all settings when set high. Read FS insider articles on all setting matters. There is a wealth of info on your question.

crunk747

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 12:23:21 am »
OK I have tried the texture resizer for JFK and limited my frames to 30, but I still see stuttering   :(
Another problem I have with my FS9 is that when I'm flying and on the ground the textures are blurry and only seem to render within a certain radius of my aircraft. Like when Im taxiing at JFK the taxiways are blurry so are the runways when they are far away. They are only clear when I get closer to them. The same thing happens in the air the terrain directly below me and within a small radius of aircraft is crisp and clear, but off in the distance its a blurred mess. ??? ??? Any help is appreciated.  ;D

Regards,
Dan

JFKpilot

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 12:59:45 am »
Hmmm...sorry to hear about the stuttering. Do you have all settings maxed out? Running other programs in the background? But your system is obviously good, so idk...

Regarding the blurriness, I think it's a filtering issue. You'll notice fsx had an option for anisotropic filtering, but fs9 does not -- only bilinear or trilinear. So you'll have to force it from your videocard. And while you're at it I would do the same for antialiasing as well, because fs9 antialiasing sucks. There's other settings you can change on the fs9.cfg but google is your best friend for that... 

Maybe virtuali can shed some light on your problem, but there's obviously a problem at the root fs9 level, perhaps even the system level, unrelated to Fsdt sceneries.

crunk747

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 01:24:58 am »
Oh ok ya the bluriness doesnt happen in FSX thats only an FS9 problem. I'll have open up nHancer play with the settings for FS9. FS9 is so old and I only use it for my PMDG 737 ( FSX version taking forever) and for scenery like SFO and LAX. Whenever I play FS I close out all programs and yes all settings are maxxed out on FS9 including anti aliasing ( should I disable FS9 anti aliasing and use the nHancer setting instead??). Ya I dont have a clue what problem is on why it stutters I guess I'll have to a look on google.  :-\

Regards,
Dan

JFKpilot

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 01:37:35 am »
I'm only holding on to fs9 for my favorite addons as well. Fsx isn't quite as diverse addons-wise, at least not yet.
Antialiasing is up to you, it won't change the stuttering situation.

Well, at least you've got fsx. Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

crunk747

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 01:52:47 am »
Thats ok well at least you gave me some useful tips like with the texture
resizer and stuff ;)

Regards,

Dan

wideloadwhitford

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 06:37:38 am »
Dude, lock your frames at 40, and yes FS9 stutters alot with FSDT. FS9.exe runs on one core, not 4 like FSX.

But FS9 still rules 8)
Windows 10 64bit
16GB DDR3
512SSD
nVidia 970GTX 4GB

skydriver

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 08:10:33 am »
i guess that Ultra X-Blaster case may be the problem :P

Core i7 860 @2.8Ghz, 4GB DDR3 2000mhz, EVGA GTX 280 1GB, ASUS P7P55D MB, Win 7 64bit, 22" @ 1600x1200

Frank Lindberg

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 06:20:53 pm »

Hello all,

Just a week ago I got my new computer that finally handle FSX. It has a Core i7 920 (not OC'd yet), GTX285 Black Edition, 6GB Corsair RAM, EVGA X58 LE mobo, and a Ultra X-Blaster case. This can run FSX pretty good it stuttered at first, but I was able to fix it with a bufferpools tweak from the Orbx forum. However when I use FS9 I get 50-70 fps even at FSDT airports, but it stutters alot which is clearly noticeable when you are having high frames like that. Can stuttering in FS9 be fixed with a tweak or something? I have heard bufferpools don't work in FS9 just X. Any support is good.

Thanks,
Dan

Hey Dude, Why don't U use Nhancer? (www.nhancer.com)

And use this profile from http://forum.nhancer.com/showthread.php?t=406 I'm sure this whould help you.  ;) Let me know...

VA. Senior Captain Frank Lindberg
"United we stand and divided we fall"
My PC spec: MS Win10 pro 64 bit - Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ OC to 5.0 GHz - 16GB Ram - Geforce 2080TI 11GBVRAM - P3Dv5.1