Author Topic: GSX powering system off **SOLVED**  (Read 2504 times)

FredKrake

GSX powering system off **SOLVED**
« on: January 02, 2019, 07:13:20 pm »
Dear Dreamteamers,

I got a severe problem using gsx/gsx level 2.

When I'm taxiing after using gsx the whole system powers off immediately. That means no CTD, no shutdown. The system just goes black and starts again thus performing a hard reset. The problem is repreducable.

I first encountered the problem using gsx/gsx level 2 the first time. My system was running P3D 4.2 then and after some tries I decided to shelf gsx for the time being until I setup a new system.

Now I'm running P3D v4.4 on a entirely new Win10 installation on the same hardware.

After using gsx/gsx level 2 and taxiing to the runway the system powered off again. When I taxi/fly without using gsx/gsx Level 2 beforehand, the system runs smoother than ever and rock stable.

Here are my system specs:

Powersupply: Seasonic SSR650RM (650W)
CPU: i7-8700K@5.00
MB: Asrock Z370 Extreme 4
RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX DDR4 3200MHz CL 18
GPU:Palit 980 Super Jet Stream
System SSD: Samsung 840 Pro
P3D SSD: Samsung 960 Pro
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS
MFG Crosswind Pedals

Win10 Home 64Bit
P3D v4.4
FS Pilots Ultimate NG
FTX Global/Vector
PMDG 737 NGX
ASN P3D
ENVTEX
EZCA2

Any thoughts on this?

Best regards

Fred
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 06:46:38 pm by virtuali »

Pirateinparadise

Re: GSX powering system off
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 02:35:33 pm »
Did you check your system and application event logs to see if there was anything in there? Windows 10 usually leaves a clue behind in there.
The drinking rum on the beach kind. Not the software stealing kind.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 11:27:48 am »
GSX doesn't obviously have anything to do with it, since there's NO WAY a standard application ( =not a driver ) can cause a shut down of your system.

You are mislead thinking "it's GSX" ( because it seems not happening if you don't use it ) but that's just because, for some reason which can only be caused by either a driver problem or an hardware problem, which is only trigger because some of the objects/textures created by GSX, which of course are 100% correct, fine and proper, for some reason are showing a problem in your system, most likely related to video drivers, which are the most common cause of such hard crashes, even if they are surely not the only ones.

Also, I see you use overclocking, with a very powerful CPU with just 650W PSU, which I'd say it's a bit on the low side to do overclocking. Just the additional load caused by using an add-on like GSX, even if it's not much, might have been enough to trigger a power supply problem.

So, the first thing to try is:

- Stop overclocking.

- Download the latest version of your video drivers and do a clean installation of them, to remove any possible tweaks.

- If the system is more stable with no overclocking, consider getting a more powerful PSU and/or a better cooling system.

FredKrake

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 04:34:57 pm »
Thank you guys for the reply.

@Pirate: Windows log only reads Kernel-Power 41-Event. P3D log shows no related error.

@Umberto: I reduced load on the PSU and voila! no shutdown so far. Seems to me you were right and GSX was just the straw that broke the camels back. Guess I need bigger psu.

Fred

sw34669

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 09:51:39 pm »

@Pirate: Windows log only reads Kernel-Power 41-Event. P3D log shows no related error.

@Umberto: I reduced load on the PSU and voila! no shutdown so far. Seems to me you were right and GSX was just the straw that broke the camels back. Guess I need bigger psu.

Fred

This is a power or heat issue. As you are overclocking to 5Ghz, a 650 is not enough and you see this with the kernel power event. This error usually stems from vcore droop. Imagine 500 hair dryers plugged in to a 4 way strip all together. When your system runs p3d it has a heavy if not the most heavy workout on CPU/Memory/GPU/IO etc. The issue is more around peaks and how much those 32A rails can take. A high quality at least 1KW power supply should be in your system. Have a look here : http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/
and see how near the edge you are.

I only OC my 5960X to 4.6 but I have 2 x SLI 980ti's . I have a 1.2Kw with 6 32A rails. It was £160 and is 4 years old and still going strong.

LukeK

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 01:17:22 am »
A high quality at least 1KW power supply should be in your system.

Quality and capacity are unrelated. I like Seasonic - I have around 650W and things run fine with a similar setup.

Cheers!

Luke

sw34669

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 04:42:54 am »
A high quality at least 1KW power supply should be in your system.

Quality and capacity are unrelated. I like Seasonic - I have around 650W and things run fine with a similar setup.

Cheers!

Luke

what utter crap, you make me laugh, this is of course why his system was crashing.
regards
a systems guy of 35 years

Pirateinparadise

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 12:15:29 am »

Fred

That's great, Fred. Those two logs are first place to go when anything strange happens in Windows.
The drinking rum on the beach kind. Not the software stealing kind.