Author Topic: P3D GSX jetways/utility broken  (Read 2733 times)

LukeK

P3D GSX jetways/utility broken
« on: December 20, 2018, 10:34:20 pm »
Interesting problem with a new P3D install. GSX1 and GSX2 activated.

In P3Dv3 _and_ P3Dv4, there are SODE jetways but GSX gives me a warning that the scenery has been updated and to run the GSX Level 2 Control Panel to disable the default jetways. When I run it and click on the button to disable default jetways, after ~2 seconds the default jetways are being enabled again and I cannot disable them. Needless to say I continue to get that error. :( For P3Dv4 in the Control Panel I have the same problem, but I do not for FSX.

Why is the Control Panel refusing to delete the default jetways? Is there a permissions issue, or is a file/directory missing? I would not be surprised if some installer had misbehaved.

Thanks!

Luke

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: P3D GSX jetways/utility broken
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 03:53:47 pm »
It's likely a permission issue. The utility needs to patch this file under the main simulator installation folder:

\Scenery\Global\Scenery\airport_objects.BGL

So, be sure your user account has permission to write there, and the file is not missing.

LukeK

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 04:09:14 pm »
Thanks for the note. The file exists for all three sims (FSX, P3Dv3 and P3Dv4). I'm running the utility as admin, and all three sims are under D:\Program files. I've noticed there's a airport_objects.gsx file in the folder. Can I delete it and run the utility again to see if things are working?

Cheers!

Luke

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 04:58:58 pm »
I've noticed there's a airport_objects.gsx file in the folder. Can I delete it and run the utility again to see if things are working?

That's the backup of the original file GSX made.

Instead of removing, try to remove the airport_objects.bgl (with the simulator closed!!)  instead, and rename the airport_objects.gsx into airport_objects.bgl.

LukeK

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 06:54:16 pm »
Interesting... I did what you suggested for P3Dv3. I deleted the BGL and then renamed the GSX copy to BGL. Ran the control panel utility which did the same thing, flipped back. It created the GSX file. I then ran a hash on both files, and got the following:

Name: airport_objects.bgl
Size: 8840592 bytes (8633 KiB)
SHA256: 81D8E8EA42F9E44DF83A492F6A06B07110D40455D52CAE364D5A80BD1B8C67C9

Name: airport_objects.gsx
Size: 8840592 bytes (8633 KiB)
SHA256: 81D8E8EA42F9E44DF83A492F6A06B07110D40455D52CAE364D5A80BD1B8C67C9

It looks like the file isn't getting modified, hence the utility "flipping back".

Cheers!

Luke

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 10:38:28 pm »
It looks like the file isn't getting modified, hence the utility "flipping back".

Yes, this is surely what's happening, which seems to be caused by either:

- file permission problems on the P3D folder, as if your user account doesn't have access to it.

OR

- antivirus blocking the program from accessing that folder.

LukeK

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 05:10:52 pm »
Yes, this is surely what's happening, which seems to be caused by either:
- file permission problems on the P3D folder, as if your user account doesn't have access to it.

OR

- antivirus blocking the program from accessing that folder.

Interestingly, that's NOT likely. I have my old installs kicking around on another drive, so for fun I copied over the airport_objects.bgl and .gsx from that installer. The installer ran perfectly. What's neat is that the hashes of the older versions don't match the newer ones. I am around 90% certain that the problem is related to the contents of the BGL file. Do you want me to send them over?

Cheers!

Luke

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 11:16:33 am »
I am around 90% certain that the problem is related to the contents of the BGL file. Do you want me to send them over?

The GSX installer should be able to patch any airports_objects.bgl, regardless of its content (unless it was entirely missing the jetway object). But yes, send me the file that cannot be patched by email anyway.