Author Topic: GSX 2 Jetways causes massive studder at approach.  (Read 2717 times)

Artox67

GSX 2 Jetways causes massive studder at approach.
« on: December 16, 2018, 08:35:18 pm »
HI,

since a couple of days I'm not able to use GSX2 jetways.

at every airport where this jetways installed I get 3-2NM before threshold a massive studder for 1 - 1,5sec.

It seems to be this is the moment where the jetways are loaded. Before this point and after this point my sim is running like a charme.

A complete new install of GSX didn't solve the issue. All necessary files are excluded from antivir and defender.

Any ideas?

cartayna

• Beta tester
Re: GSX 2 Jetways causes massive studder at approach.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 09:01:29 pm »
did not notice anything similar.  I was helping someone on his computer which has a similar pc configuration as i do, except that i have 32mb and he has 8.  I was shocked to see the impact on the pc that this had, while loading configurations on landing on an airport, it took him for ever to upload the .ini.  What RAM do you have?
Also, I have discovered 2 things.  The couatl (being such a slow and old program) struggles a lot in sceneries with plenty of jetways such as EDDM, EGLL, LEMD, EDDF, ect.. i think it was never design to work with such large files or configurations.. I notice that in smaller sceneries it works fine, while in larger, i have to the damm restart every time you enter the scenery. I am sorry if this does not help you, but RAM might be an issue?

Artox67

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 09:25:59 pm »
I've 32Gig of 3000MhZ RAM. So this should not the issue.

cartayna

• Beta tester
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 12:53:53 am »
I've 32Gig of 3000MhZ RAM. So this should not the issue.
Did you try with Umberto?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 08:36:10 am »
The couatl (being such a slow and old program) struggles a lot in sceneries with plenty of jetways such as EDDM, EGLL, LEMD, EDDF, ect.. i think it was never design to work with such large files or configurations..

Couatl being "old" and "slow" doesn't obviously have anything to do with this, since it doesn't do anything other than sending to the sim the commands to create the jetways using Simconnect, using the one and only standard way to create objects, which is used by every other product that does similar things.

Exactly the same happens, for example, with UT2/UT Live, a massive pause when it injects new AI airplanes.

This because the simulator itself, is not able to create objects using multi-threading, like it does for terrain texture.

We might reduce the stutter, by creating jetways in sequence, waiting for each one to be created before creating the next one, but instead of a long pause, you'll see many micro pauses and, of course, instead of having all jetways available in less than 2 seconds, like the OP reported, they would appear progressively in a much longer time and the annoying micro-stutter would last longer so, I think it's probably best having a single pause that last 2 seconds, rather than 1 minute of micro-stuttering.

The loading happens at exact 3 NM, because that's the default loading range of an airport. Increasing this would cause issues when there are several airports closer to each other (think NYC, with JFK, LGA and EWR in close proximity), resulting in jetways for more than one airport loaded at the same time or, if we only loaded the closest one, in jetways unloaded/reloaded from memory while you are doing the approach, since you might pass through closer to the airport you are not landing on.

And these will be only stop-gap fixes. The real solution would be the simulator would be updated to load Simobjects in multi-threading, which might be possible, now there are MANY other addons that relies heavily on dynamic creation of Simobject while flying (sceneries made with SODE, UT2/UT Live, GSX, etc.), so it might be worth for LM to look into it.

Artox67

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 10:12:57 am »
Umberto,

thank you for your reply and I understand where you coming from.

What I didn't understand is, the issue starts from one day to the other without any changing on my system or at the sim.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 10:34:09 am »
What I didn't understand is, the issue starts from one day to the other without any changing on my system or at the sim.

Well, of course in this case it depends on factors not related to GSX, like the area used, the airport used, the scenery density in that area, the AI density at that time/date (which even changes depending on how many *different* AI models AND textures are called).

And, this to take into account only the actual impact of objects/scenery created around you. To this, you must add the different load on Simconnect *itself*. For example, if while GSX was creating jetways, Active Sky was ALSO requesting weather, or FSUIPC was also getting lots of data to pass to its own addons, and UT Live was also creating some AI, since all these events cannot obviously be coordinated between themselves, they can easily happen all at the same time in one sessions, or in entirely different times in another one, giving you the impression that GSX "randomly" created jetways very efficiently once, and much worse the other. GSX, of course, always creates jetways in the same way.

And of course, of the .INI file is made might have an effect on this.

If each parking calls for a different jetway model, and each one use a different texture set, and each one calls for a different logo (unlikely, but still possible), it will take more time to load than if all jetways were the same, since the simulator won't try to re-load the same texture over and over, if it's already in memory.

That's why I said even the AI schedule might effect this, since it's faster to load AI for an airport that is under the monopoly of a single airline (maybe at specific times/dates), all flying with similar models, compared to an airport that has a different AI livery and a different model at each parking.

As explained so many times already, the cause of performance loss it's always a combination of everything, even the less obvious things.