Author Topic: Duel Jetway Configuration idea  (Read 4293 times)

crauds

Duel Jetway Configuration idea
« on: October 29, 2018, 01:35:50 am »
First off, I am using FSX SP2 with Windows 10 v1709 so I can only assume that what I am about to share will work equally well with P3D v4--.  I purchased GSX2 for the main reason that it offered the ability to configure multiple jetways at my default airports.  I previewed several videos on Youtube depicting third party dual configurations but they were not realistic.  In RW, the dual jetways usually divide at the fulcrum.  So why not configure GSX2 to do the same thing?  I am including two images:  the first shows the configuration before attachment and the second shows them attached to PMDG B744 v3.  The jetways swing toward the aircraft without touching one another and can even be activated simultaneously.  I configured the default as the shorter for attachment to door #1 (or in the case of the B767, the only passenger door in that simulation) and the user jetway #2 as the longer one that can swing to Door #2.  I have tested with the Level-D 767, the PMDG MD11 (2 doors) and of course the PMDG 747-400.  I do not own B777 or the new B747-8 but I think the configuration is flexible enough to accommodate them also.  

The only problem I notice is when I switched from my default 737 to a complex aircraft while already parked at one of these complex gates, GSX2 reverted the configuration back to its default and I could no longer recover without restarting FSX.  It also seems that a saved flight with a complex aircraft parked at one of these gates can not be reloaded in position without destroying the configuration.  My workaround is to allow the aircraft to spawn at a position away from the gate and then move it to the gate.  Not ideal but....?  I will try to pin this issue down a bit and present it to Umberto.  I am sure he will know what might be causing this.

Craig
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 01:38:07 am by crauds »
Craig Williams
I7 7700K OC to 4.8Ghz 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz SD RAM GTX1060 6GB LIQ Cooled Win10 Home 64

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Duel Jetway Configuration idea
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 03:38:04 pm »
In RW, the dual jetways usually divide at the fulcrum.

Sometimes they are, but many times they aren't. There are many airports that have double or triple jetway configurations with each jetway having its own separate bridge, see KLAX TBIT, for example, none of the double jetways are joined at their root.

The only problem I notice is when I switched from my default 737 to a complex aircraft while already parked at one of these complex gates, GSX2 reverted the configuration back to its default and I could no longer recover without restarting FSX.

GSX restart Couatl when switching the airplane so, they only thing you must be careful, is not switching airplane when you are still editing the parking.

When you press the Y key to exit from the 3d editor and go back to the parking customization page, all the changes to the current parking are saved in the .INI file. Only then it's safe to switch the airplane. The settings are also saved when cycling between different parkings while in the 3d editor, with the NumPad 7/9 keys.

crauds

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 06:30:27 pm »
Hi Umerto!

I did discover that the changes were saved even if they appeared to have been reset.  I also found that if I reset COUATI it would bring back the configuration but sometimes it took a couple of reset attempts.  I think it possible to even have a third jetway connecting to the upper deck door.  Seems I have seen that somewhere.  But the B744 does not have a listing in GSX even though it works perfectly for doors L1, L2, (and it offers L3)  I remember somewhere that I could use the editor to determine the coordinates of the upper door but don't know where to put them since the GSX editor doesn't show that third door in its diagram.  Any suggestions?

Craig
Craig Williams
I7 7700K OC to 4.8Ghz 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz SD RAM GTX1060 6GB LIQ Cooled Win10 Home 64

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 09:31:41 pm »
I remember somewhere that I could use the editor to determine the coordinates of the upper door but don't know where to put them since the GSX editor doesn't show that third door in its diagram.  Any suggestions?

The diagram doesn't mean anything. You can use the any free Pax door on the left, it doesn't *have* to be in the same position as in the diagram.

crauds

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 06:24:19 pm »
OK.  But adding a third jetway in the editor does not offer me an option to attach to the upper level door, only door 3 which is over the wing.  How would I get the jetway to attach to a door that isn't offered?  I was trying to find a way to make GSX recognize that upper door but right now it seems not to do so.

Craig
Craig Williams

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 02:32:22 pm »
You still don't understand.

As I've said, the diagram it's just an indication, doesn't have any relationship to the door's actual position. So, if you want to have a jetway that docks on the upper deck, just decide which one of the 4 possible pax doors will play that role AND move it there with the editor.

crauds

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 02:51:38 pm »
That is the problem.  The upper door does not exist in the editor.  I searched the GSX folder, found the aircraft directory but there was no listing for the B747.  How do I get this door to be selectable as an option? 

Craig
Craig Williams

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 02:53:57 pm »
Re-read my reply again:

As I've said, the diagram it's just an indication, doesn't have any relationship to the door's actual position. So, if you want to have a jetway that docks on the upper deck, just decide which one of the 4 possible pax doors will play that role AND move it there with the editor.

crauds

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 10:58:35 pm »
B747-400v3:  Your internal database does not have the upper door only a fictitious cargo door on the left side and when I click on it the message "door does not exist" appears.  The other 2 doors are in the rear of the aircraft.  You say to set the door in the editor but I have to go through the diagram to select the door and it doesn't appear

According to the manual the only way I can access the "customize aircraft" editor is through that diagram.  I can't "click" on a door that isn't there.  Unless I can access that upper door and designate it as "passenger" the jetways won't attach to it.  I miss the aircraft.cfg files you used to have.  Unfortunately, even though some of the other aircraft cfg files from GSX1 are in the "aircraft" directory, the PMDG 747 v3 is not.  How do I make the UPPER passenger door appear to GSX?  I have no means to edit your "internal database".  Can I make some minor change to the aircraft to cause it to create a config file that will override your internal dataase?  That is the only roundabout solution I can think of until I can get more specific guidance from you.

Craig
Craig Williams

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 09:47:11 am »
I'm sorry but, I don't really know how I could have explained it any better...

Yes, of course the default configuration we made for the PMDG 747 doesn't have any of the 4 possible passenger doors to play the role of the upper deck door. YOU must edit the default configuration that comes with GSX, and set one!

Yes, it MUST be one of the 4 passengers doors. GSX doesn't handle more than 4 passengers doors in total so, if you want to use one of them as the upper deck door, you must edit one of them, and move it on the proper location IN THE 3D EDITOR. The one that would be more suitable for this would probably be the Passenger door 3.

Just edit the Passenger door 3 with the 3D editor, and move the arrow on the upper deck place. The diagram won't change, of course, but it's not a problem. As long as you use a passenger door (you cannot have a cargo door to play the role of a passenger door), it can be everywhere on the left side of the airplane.

In addition to that, you will probably have to edit the custom XML expression to change the name of the variable that controls the door, which will have to match the one that controls the upper deck door. Or, just set the door to have no open/close checks, so GSX will ignore if it's opened or closed.

crauds

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 05:56:30 pm »
Thank you.  That was the step by step my old feeble brain needed.  I shall try as you instructed.

Craig
Craig Williams

crauds

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 02:56:32 pm »
OK,Umberto.  I followed your instructions and now have Door #3 renamed as "Upper Door" and positioned to the center of the lower threshold of that upper door per the editor.  But no jetway will attach to it.  The upper door option is not offered when I request jetwasy.  Could it be that it is out of range because of its height?  So I enabled one of the "high" position jetways but even that just may not be high enough.  I really don't need to have a jetway to that upper door but the challenge to do so has me intrigued.  Is there a way to get one of the jetways to attach to that upper door on the PMDG B747 v3 model using the correct choices of jetways you have provided in GSX2?

Craig
Craig Williams

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 03:51:11 pm »
The upper door option is not offered when I request jetwasy.  Could it be that it is out of range because of its height?

Most likely.

So I enabled one of the "high" position jetways but even that just may not be high enough.

They are modeled with the real-world height on the A380 specific model so, if they are good for an A380, they should work with a 747.

Is there a way to get one of the jetways to attach to that upper door on the PMDG B747 v3 model using the correct choices of jetways you have provided in GSX2?

Try to find if moving the jetway and/or the Stop Position will result in the jetway resolving.

Craig
[/quote]