Author Topic: can't restart couatl  (Read 3634 times)

draci

can't restart couatl
« on: October 16, 2018, 03:31:14 pm »
Everytime I restart couatl from the FSX menu, the couatl and GSX menu vanish from the menu without couatl being restarted, even restarting couatl directly from the .exe in the addonmanager/couatl folder does not work anymore. This is really annoying, reinstalling several times didn't help.

The error.log is strange, it says simply:

connecting to SimConnect...
connected to SimConnect...
bglmanx busy, waiting.

So somehow it seems, that when sending the restart command bglmanx is not stopped such that when trying to start up after closing the handle is already occupied.
What else can I try?

Any help appreciated
draci

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: can't restart couatl
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 10:01:54 am »
I cannot reproduce the problem. Please indicate all the following:

- the other addons you have installed in the "Addons" menu

- the airplane you use.

draci

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 02:24:05 pm »
Thank you for trying to help,

It's the old PMDG 747-8i (not the freshly relased fancy one, this I use in P3Dv4, where everything works just fine),
I just have a PMDG, a couatl, a GSX, and a RAAS entry in the Add-Ons Menu.

I have to tell that to save VAS I usually disable all add-on scenery which wiill not be used for a certain flight in the scenery.cfg, so it's possible that a scenery is active in the Addon-Manager but is not currently installed in the Scenery library, but also disactivating everything does not help. Of course, GSX and GSX2 expansion always stay active)

Is there a way to manually stop the bglman module?

Best regards
draci
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 02:28:23 pm by draci »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 02:39:52 pm »
Thank you for trying to help, have to tell that to save VAS I usually disable all add-on scenery which wiill not be used for a certain flight in the scenery.cfg, so it's possible that a scenery is active in the Addon-Manager but is not currently installed in the Scenery library, but also disactivating everything does not help.

Doing this for FSDT sceneries is a complete waste of effort, since we do custom memory management so, you can be sure that, if you don't fly over a scenery, it won't be loaded.

Is there a way to manually stop the bglman module?

No, you can't stop a .dll without restarting the sim.

draci

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 12:15:08 pm »
So what else can I try? I can't live with this, because once in a while for various reasons I restart couatl during a flight sim session and this would mean that GSX is no longer available until I restart the sim? I have no idea what could have happened but I definitely know that this occurs since installation of GSX2.

Can it be due to the fact that I uninstalled the Addon Manager recently which was under Program Files and installed it in the FSX folder, is there something I could have forgotten to clean?

Best regards
draci

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 10:09:32 am »
Since I cannot reproduce the problem ( I can restart 20 times in a row with no issues... ), a possible reason might be some kind of conflict with another addon.

Could you try disabling all the other addon modules, momentarily, and see if you can restart normally ?

draci

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 05:45:43 pm »
Unfortunately, disabling add-ons did not help. I provide the logs before and after trying to restart, perhaps you can find something unusual,
it seems that simconnect connects and immediately disconnects again.

best regards
draci

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 09:18:47 pm »
it seems that simconnect connects and immediately disconnects again.

Which is very strange.  You might try enabling the Simconnect diagnostic mode, and see if there's some other information:

Open notepad, and copy the following text:

[SimConnect]
level=errors
console=1
RedirectStdOutToConsole=1
OutputDebugString=1

file=c:\simconnect%03u.txt
file_next_index=0
file_max_index=9

Save the file as SIMCONNECT.INI in this folder:

Documents And Settings\YOUR LOGIN NAME\Documents\Prepar3d v4 Files

At the next P3D launch, you should see a text window with diagnostic message, and a file named simconnect000.txt will be created on C:\

Note that, you might not be able to have access to C:\ so, change the destination folder to your liking by changing the file= line.

draci

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 10:37:04 pm »
I did as you said but unfortunately the simconnect logfile generated is empty which seems very strange as initially couatl starts with FSX (which should produce a first simconnect logfile, isn't it?). Additionally I would expect a second logfile for the unsuccessful attempt to reconnect. Or does the second log overwrite the previous one?

Best regards
draci

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 10:45:45 pm »
unfortunately the simconnect logfile generated is empty

My example created the simconnect log file in C:\, which might be or not available for writing, depending on your system/permission settings. Try changing it to a folder you surely have permission to write into, like C:\Users\YOURNAME\Desktop, for example.

And, you should have seen at leas the Simconnect diagnostic window on screen too, the file is made so you can read it easily after quitting the sim.

And no, the files won't overwrite each other, the first will be called simconnect000.txt, the 2nd simconnect001.txt  and so on.