Author Topic: GSX no longer recognises that I'm at a gate!  (Read 6795 times)

garymccl

GSX no longer recognises that I'm at a gate!
« on: August 22, 2018, 07:18:58 pm »
Hi I'm sorry to bring this subject up again, because I have searched for it on your forums and found other people raising it as a problem.

Before today, I have had no problems, but for some reason, now I have loaded up my aircraft in the same position as yesterday, at the same airport, and from CTRL+SHIFT+F12, I - for some reason get the SELECT PARKING FACILITY screen...?

I told P3D what gate I want - the same as yesterday (when GSX didn't bring this screen up - yesterday it gave me the proper loading options, etc...).   But for some reasons, today, GSX doesn't think I'm at a gate - and the only thing I can therefore think, is that it's getting it's data from a different place to P3D for gate positions.  I have checked out the Scenery Library and it looks no different.  I have also rebuilt the airport cache.

What has changed for this airport today? https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nwf4g5ciHE9ZCtRG7

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX no longer recognises that I'm at a gate!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 05:07:53 pm »
the only thing I can therefore think, is that it's getting it's data from a different place to P3D for gate positions. 

That's why the GSX parking customization page will TELL YOU from which file GSX is taking its data from and, if you read the other similar threads when users said GSX doesn't recognize the parkings, the first reply is always check from which file GSX is taking its data from.

Then, depending on what that page says, we can discuss the reason and the solution.

garymccl

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 06:48:51 pm »
Sorry - but this is rubbish. I have seen plenty of messages on this forum where it looks like the Administrator is getting frustrated over this question, and generally comes back with 'we've already answered your question'...

Because I had a slow reply from you, I went to another forum to try and get help. I did, but it wasn't great. I have sorted the problem, and what I did is what I quoted below. It describes how I fixed it and how annoyed at this software I still am. (Just to note, I have spent most of my life as a software developer, and I would NEVER write a piece of software that relies on the end-user being able to go into the file-system and have to make changes to file names, etc.) If you want your software to use another BGL file - write that into the front end!!!  From the other forum:
  • I now have this fixed, but I will go into the forum for the GSX software and let them know because I haven't heard from them, despite logging the problem yesterday, and also the fact that I think their software sucks!

I have changed NOTHING on my system. I was using ORBX before, which gave me two files: ADE_FTX_ENG_EGNT_CVX.bgl and ADE_FTX_ENG_EGNT.BGL.  I have renamed them with the '.old' file extension, and it has fixed it after I regenerated the airports in P3D.

WHY have I had to use a rubbish piece of software that does not even give me a front-end to do this? I have to go through the back-end of the Windows file system to fix something, and I don't know caused the problem!  If it gives you a front end to change the docking/gate positions, I can understand it will want to override the setting in the Scenery Objects library, but surely someone can say why this becomes a read-only area of the airport manager in GSX...?  Why can't you browse for another BGL file, or revert to the original???

By the way - I HAD read all of the documentation, and it didn't help...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 10:44:41 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 10:50:55 pm »
Sorry - but this is rubbish.

It's not.

I have seen plenty of messages on this forum where it looks like the Administrator is getting frustrated over this question, and generally comes back with 'we've already answered your question'...

I usually always include a link to previous messages that discussed and answered the same thing.

Because I had a slow reply from you, I went to another forum to try and get help.

You went on Avsim forum a few *hours* after you posted here, without even realizing it was in the middle of the night HERE! Are you trying to say that, unless we work 24/7, our support can only be flagged as "slow" ?

It describes how I fixed it and how annoyed at this software I still am. (Just to note, I have spent most of my life as a software developer, and I would NEVER write a piece of software that relies on the end-user being able to go into the file-system and have to make changes to file names, etc.) If you want your software to use another BGL file - write that into the front end!!!?

Sorry, but you are so wrong in this reply, that I don't even know where to start.

I'm not sure what kind of software you write but, I would NEVER write a piece of software that would touch any files belonging to OTHER 3RD PARTY PRODUCTS installed alongside the same host.

Because, if you haven't realized it, the simulator is a host, and what you are installing are, essentially, 3rd party plug-ins that CAN have conflicts between each other but, if would be WRONG, WRONG and WRONG AGAIN, if one of them tried to fix conflicts in OTHER files not belonging to itself!

In any case, I can see plenty of replies on Avsim too to the same message you posted here and, guess what, they are all saying the same thing so, maybe, it would be best if you reconsidered what you said.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 10:56:17 pm by virtuali »

garymccl

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 11:34:49 pm »
Quote from: virtuali
I'm not sure what kind of software you write but, I would NEVER write a piece of software that would touch any files belonging to OTHER 3RD PARTY PRODUCTS installed alongside the same host.
I write software for lawyers! Not that it matters  - but it is more than one piece of 3rd party stuff needs to talk to another, and I have to be in the middle. Anyway - not important.

Because, if you haven't realized it, the simulator is a host, and what you are installing are, essentially, 3rd party plug-ins that CAN have conflicts between each other but, if would be WRONG, WRONG and WRONG AGAIN, if one of them tried to fix conflicts in OTHER files not belonging to itself!
Well, I would certainly agree that all pieces of software should say (if applicable) that they are compatible with each other as well as the host.  As I said, I've made no changes to the system to have it change the way it is talking to me when I'm at EGNT gate 9... I can't explain the change, which is why I came here.

As far as I'm concerned, for me at least, it's fixed.  My only suggestion would be that the software area where you can modify the gates (and make that a higher priority than other 3rd party party) should have an option to say "Returning to using Scenery Library Raw data for this airport"...?

You went on Avsim forum a few *hours* after you posted here, without even realizing it was in the middle of the night HERE! Are you trying to say that, unless we work 24/7, our support can only be flagged as "slow" ?

For that, I'm very sorry - you are very right, I was impatient, and that is completely my fault to go and do that.  :-[

Gary

garymccl

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 11:45:57 pm »
BTW, I think you have a fantastic piece of software that has made P3D look so much better from my point of view...

It's true - and I just wanted to let you know!

Gaz

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 12:22:09 am »
I'm not sure what kind of software you write but, I would NEVER wri should have an option to say "Returning to using Scenery Library Raw data for this airport"...?

I don't know what you are referring to "Scenery Library Raw data". The scenery library is, of course, precisely the place where GSX takes its data from, and it obviously respects its layer priority.

It cannot prevent conflicts, it cannot prevent fault AFCADs, and cannot prevent conflict data coming from two airports.  No software can, unless it was explicitly sold as a troubleshooting utility, and fact that nobody even tried to do such utility, is quite telling.

FlyingAce

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 07:29:59 pm »
the only thing I can therefore think, is that it's getting it's data from a different place to P3D for gate positions.  

That's why the GSX parking customization page will TELL YOU from which file GSX is taking its data from and, if you read the other similar threads when users said GSX doesn't recognize the parkings, the first reply is always check from which file GSX is taking its data from.

Then, depending on what that page says, we can discuss the reason and the solution.

Ok Umberto, I did what you suggested. First some background information:

I started P3D, selected the PMDG 777 and chose CYVR gate 73. Here's a pic showing the 777 parked at gate 73 at CYVR:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkjJbty_NdPA3lwXpnt0OfvomSTA

Next, when I select CTRL+SHIFT+F12, I got the "Select parking facility" menu, but what I wanted is ground services menu to select the boarding option. Here's a pic of that:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkjJbty_NdPA3l3A4nsaLcDeczlp

Next, as per your quote above, I opened the GSX parking customization page and here's a pic of what came up for your troubleshooting pleasure:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkjJbty_NdPA3l4uCetB1UzS_Yec

Now, as you said, let's discuss the reason and the solution.

As an added note, I hit CTRL+SHIFT+F12 again and selected the same gate 73, followed by "Just warp me there". I thought since I chose the exact same gate that my aircraft would remain in the exact spot. But no such luck. The aircraft was re-positioned at gate 73 with the nose inside the terminal building (see two pics below). However, the good news is that now when I select CTRL+SHIFT+F12, I get the "Activate ground servises" menu. Yayyyyy lucky me! NOT.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkjJbty_NdPA3l-DLjR7X3LEeTfN
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkjJbty_NdPA3mC_npD5nY-dFyug

So Umberto, I did what you suggested. What's your solution?

Tony
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 07:35:45 pm by FlyingAce »
Tony B.

i7 4770K 3.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, ASUS GTX1070 GPU with 8GB VRAM, 500GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD, 2 ASUS 24" monitors and 1 Samsung 19" monitor.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 11:42:35 pm »
Next, as per your quote above, I opened the GSX parking customization page and here's a pic of what came up for your troubleshooting pleasure:

As clearly indicated in that screenshot, the culrprit (as usual) is...

ORBX!!

You have a conflicting AFCAD for CYVR coming with Orbx FTX PNW which you should:

1) Ensure it stays on a LOWER layer than FSDT CYVR, exit the sim and enter it again. GSX should recreate the airport cache and hopefully read the correct AFCAD.

OR

2) Just remove that file. Hopefully, there aren't any *other* conflicting AFCADs for CYVR and/or no installer for OrbX will try to restore it.

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 12:25:33 am »
 The idea here to note is that you will have conflicting afcads/airport files at ANY and ALL airports that you have payware scenery in the same areas as any ORBX FTX regions that you will need to fix or address to display correctly.

FlyingAce

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 12:46:48 am »

ORBX!!

You have a conflicting AFCAD for CYVR coming with Orbx FTX PNW which you should:

1) Ensure it stays on a LOWER layer than FSDT CYVR, exit the sim and enter it again. GSX should recreate the airport cache and hopefully read the correct AFCAD.

OR

2) Just remove that file. Hopefully, there aren't any *other* conflicting AFCADs for CYVR and/or no installer for OrbX will try to restore it.

It's already at a lower level than CYVR. Unless I'm reading it wrong. Here is a pic of the scenery library:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkjJbty_NdPA3mG2Z8WV-0J95eae

Also, I renamed the conflicting Orbx file .old and when I restarted P3D and CTRL+SHIFT+F12 I got an error saying it can't find it. I guess your suggestion didn't work. Any other ideas?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 01:00:18 am by FlyingAce »
Tony B.

i7 4770K 3.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, ASUS GTX1070 GPU with 8GB VRAM, 500GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD, 2 ASUS 24" monitors and 1 Samsung 19" monitor.

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2018, 01:06:20 am »

Also, I renamed the conflicting Orbx file .old and when I restarted P3D and CTRL+SHIFT+F12 I got an error saying it can't find it. I guess your suggestion didn't work. Any other ideas?

There are 4 CYVR files to disable in FTX PNW, but you can get away with leaving FTX_PNW_objects_CYVR_Delta_PLC.bgl intact if you want.

FlyingAce

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2018, 03:42:09 am »

ORBX!!

Really? LOL You're hilarious Umberto!!!

ORBX is a high-end scenery developer. One of the best. Are you really that arrogant that you're going to blame ORBX as being the culprit for the problems that your software creates? You really are a piece of work!

I have purchased many airport sceneries from Aerosoft, Fly Tampa, ImagineSim, LatinVFR, Taxi2Gate, TropicalSim and of course ORBX and not one of their airports has any issues with ORBX. Furthermore, I find it strange that we, the end user, have to manually disable some files in order for your software not to conflict with them. ORBX PNW was the first thing I installed. Way before FSDT CYVR or GSX. I would have agreed with you if your software was installed first and then ORBX created the conflict when it was installed. But you expect us to believe ORBX is the culprit when it was installed first before your software? Now, that's hilarious to say the least. If your software was truly as superior as you claim, and especially since you've been aware of the problem for quite sometime now, it would have identified the conflict on its own and renamed the conflicting files, the same way Chase Plane or EzDok automatically rename two files in TrackIR. Other well-written software do the same also. But not yours. Every time I have experienced a problem with any of your products, you always blamed others without exception.

I sincerely hope someone develops a GSX and CYVR alternatives very soon. But for now, I guess I'm stuck with yours.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 03:47:36 am by FlyingAce »
Tony B.

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2018, 04:25:49 am »
 Wow.... lol are you even close to semi-serious FlyingAce? Have you even looked on the ORBX compatibility forum about making their sceneries compatible with other addons? It's fairly clear from your reply that you have little understanding of how it all works, but you really really should go and have a look.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 04:27:58 am by Dave_YVR »

Psybear

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2018, 04:39:44 am »

ORBX is a high-end scenery developer. One of the best. Are you really that arrogant that you're going to blame ORBX as being the culprit for the problems that your software creates? You really are a piece of work!

I sincerely hope someone develops a GSX and CYVR alternatives very soon. But for now, I guess I'm stuck with yours.

And apparently we with you. ;D  ORBX is indeed high end but also rather arrogant in messing with other developers scenery. ::)

Clayton
Win10 Pro x64v2004 -256GB M.2 600p | Prepar3D v5.0 hf2-512GB M.2 960 Pro | Storage-1TB 850 Pro
Z270 XPower Titanium / i7-7700K @4.7GHz-H115i / 32GB TridentZ @3200MHz 14-14-14-34
GTX1070/8GB Quicksilver (451.48) |34W 2560x1080 | Crystal 460X-AX860i