Author Topic: reinstalling fsx sp1/sp2  (Read 3433 times)

SCARTER

reinstalling fsx sp1/sp2
« on: August 22, 2018, 12:22:02 pm »
I am having trouble reinstalling FSX. Years ago after a reinstall, I was able to find the web site to download FSX sp1 and sp2 by Microsoft, but now thru Google I can't find it. In fact on one web sight, it said that download is no longer available.  Does any one know what the web sight is? If I can't get FSX installed correctly, then I guess my hobby of flight sim is over with.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: reinstalling fsx sp1/sp2
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 01:21:28 pm »
Does any one know what the web sight is? If I can't get FSX installed correctly, then I guess my hobby of flight sim is over with.

FSX:Steam Edition is currently on sale with a 65% discount, so it's only 8.74$.

I suggest getting it, so you not only have the very latest version of FSX (SP2 HAS some bugs that FSX:SE fixed and FSX:SE comes with the Acceleration Pack) but, the way Steam works, when you need to reinstall it, you are sure that you will never find yourself in the situation of having to download patches, or risk getting your original FSX DVD scratched, with nobody ever able to replace it.

SCARTER

reinstalling fsx sp1/sp2
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 07:54:19 pm »
Thanks for the idea of FSX Steam..but will my FSX addons work with Steam such as the ORBIX scenery or the A2A aircraft such as the A2A Comanche...and the same question for the PREPARED flight sim.. and what version of PREPARED is most often purchased to upgrade from FSX?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: reinstalling fsx sp1/sp2
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 05:21:20 pm »
As far as I know, everything from the two developers you mentioned works in FSX:Steam.

If you install FSX:SE stand-alone, on a system that doesn't have FSX installed (so if you already installed FSX, you must Uninstall it first), the FSX:SE registry keys will be identical to the regular FSX ones, and this usually fix all the possible issues that some older installers might have, not recognizing FSX:SE. And this is usually an issue with old installers of products that have been abandoned by the developers long ago.

With FSX:SE, I gave you the absolute cheapest solution right now, which would give you also an online "backup" of FSX.

About P3D, it's clearly the most sensible choice and it's a far better sim, and one which has a future, while FSX is rapidly declining. However, you'll have to check with all your addon vendors, if they support P3D and how you can update (there might be some upgrade fees, or not, depending on the product)

Don't even bother with older P3D versions, after P3D4 came out, which is a 64 bit sim, it doesn't make any sense to consider an old version.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 05:24:29 pm by virtuali »