Author Topic: Sonic boom effect  (Read 12828 times)

skimmer

Sonic boom effect
« on: May 03, 2009, 08:34:17 pm »
Long ago I started a topic on how to achive a sonic boom with the effect in the F-18,the one with FSX,acc. Someone answerd with a great result by modifying the panel and aircraft configuration also useing F-14 gauges. I dont want to give all details because I may have done something wrong. Which brings me to the reason for this topic.

I have a great sonic boom sound and effect but I cannot turn on the cockpit light. It will however turn on by itself after the sonic effect and stay on untill I reduce below the effect speed. All else works fine but that. If someone wants to see all the data that I used and what my panel and aircraft configuration files now look like I can copy the instructions here in another post .

Thankyou for any reply ; ??? ;D

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
Re: Sonic boom effect
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 06:20:39 pm »
Hi Skimmer,

I think the original F14 sonic boom effect that was discussed on the forum used light type 10, which is the cabin light. The problem may be soluble by associating the effect with a light that isn't used on your aircraft (i.e. by moving it to something like a "logo" light, which is light type 9).

However, it may then need the gauge that controls it amended. But don't worry, that can be done (because I think it's an XML one, which is relatively easy to manually edit) .

If you wish, let me see your aircraft.cfg and your panel.cfg files I'll try and help further.

- Voodoo
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 07:04:25 pm by Voodoo »
FSX Community Tweaks and Fixes at Voodoo's Hangar - voodoo.wikispaces.com

skimmer

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 10:54:43 pm »
Ok Voodoo and thanks for the attention. here are the instructions,my panel and aircraft  configurations. I appreciate this very much!       You might note that I also have banking and hud glass updated. Thay work grrreat. ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 10:58:44 pm by skimmer2 »

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 11:04:48 pm »
Hi Skimmer,

The problem is simpler than I said.

In your aircraft.cfg file, go to the [lights] section and change the line that says:
light.5 = 10,  -14.00,  0.00,   2.00, fx_vclight,
to
light.5 = 4,  -14.00,  0.00,   2.00, fx_vclight,

That should be the problem fixed. All that was happening was your cockpit light effect (fx_vclight) was associated with the same effect as the sonic boom. Your vclight should really be light type 4.

Regards,
Voodoo

skimmer

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 03:30:16 am »
Nuts! I got a no joy on that approch. Here are F-18 config with the correction,a pic from inside showing that the switch will return to off position when clicked on and a pic from outside showing that the sonic cloud is activated when switch is clicked on. The switch,when clicked on, will go on and off each time clicked on. I dont want to take up your time on this but if you want to try more I THANKYOU ;D ;D.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 11:24:14 pm »
 :D Ok, Skimmer, I see exactly what you mean. I forgot that when I first put this effect on to my F18 about a year back, in order to get round the same problem I moved my Cabin lights (type 10) over to my Instrument Lights (type 4). That meant I could switch both my Cabin and Instrument lights on using the Shift + L keypress. But that of course isn't the default lights arrangement...silly me!  LOL...my memory ain't what it used to be :)

OK. Now that you've jogged my memory, the following solution should be a good one.

Assuming you don't have any other additional configurations of your own in the [lights] section of your aircraft.cfg file, make it read as follows:

[lights]
light.0 = 3,  -26.70,  -4.00,   1.40, fx_navredm ,
light.1 = 3,  -26.70,   4.00,   1.40, fx_navgrem ,
light.2 = 3,  -49.40,   5.80,   8.50, fx_navwhi ,
light.3 = 1,  -46.20,   5.90,   7.50, fx_beaconb ,
light.4 = 1,  -46.10,  -5.90,   7.50, fx_beaconb ,
light.5 = 10,  -14.00,  0.00,   2.00, fx_vclight,
light.6 = 9, -40.0,  0.0,  0.0, fx_RCB_machenvlop,1

Now go to your Gauges folder. You should find a COP3 folder in there. And in that COP3 folder you should find a file called SonicBoomControl.xml.

Edit that file...

Wherever you see "LIGHT CABIN" and "TOGGLE_CABIN_LIGHTS" mentioned,
change these to say "LIGHT LOGO" and "TOGGLE_LOGO_LIGHTS".

Once you've saved those changes, start up your FSX and you should now have a working sonic boom effect, and your Cabin Lights switch should be working normally in the cockpit once again. (keyboard Shift + L will switch on your Instrument lights, but there's normally no keyboard shortcut for the Cabin lights unless you've made a key mapping yourself).

I've tested this fix and it works AOK for me and hopefully will for you too. But let me know if it doesn't and I'll try and help further.

Good hunting, sir.
- Voodoo

skimmer

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 12:21:55 am »
Rodger that. I'll get back to you as soon possible. Thankyou!!!!!!!! :) :)

skimmer

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 11:12:22 pm »
 ;D ;D 1600 hrs on the 8th of May 2009 I followed the instuctions of a very smart and helpful pilot and had complete success.I would buy  him a dinner if possible. Thankyou,thankyou ,thankyou!!!!!!!!! Voodoo its okay if you want to fold your hands and hold your head while leaning back and say,Mr.fantastic Ahhhh. I hope I can help someone like this someday. I look foward to it. ::) ::)

Do you think I should leave this post here for a couple weeks?
       May all your landings be squeekers

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 12:18:18 am »
 :D LOL...you're more than welcome, Skimmer!!

And just a quick P.S. before I get too drunk on that virtual beer I'm sharing with ya right now...if you're using the sonic boom effect on any of your other aircraft, remember you'll have to amend your aircraft.cfg file for these planes too because of the change you've made to the SonicBoomControl.xml file.

Catch ya later,
- Voodoo

Intrepid

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 01:22:12 am »
;D ;D 1600 hrs on the 8th of May 2009 I followed the instuctions of a very smart and helpful pilot and had complete success.I would buy  him a dinner if possible. Thankyou,thankyou ,thankyou!!!!!!!!! Voodoo its okay if you want to fold your hands and hold your head while leaning back and say,Mr.fantastic Ahhhh. I hope I can help someone like this someday. I look foward to it. ::) ::)

Do you think I should leave this post here for a couple weeks?
       May all your landings be squeekers

Congratulations Skimmer ;)

skimmer

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 11:03:28 pm »
Thanks Intrepid.