Author Topic: Addon Manager Settings  (Read 8797 times)

rdg43

Addon Manager Settings
« on: April 26, 2009, 06:56:55 pm »
Hi,sorry if this has been covered before but I can't find anywhere where it explains what each of the settings do in control manager. I would like to bring things down a bit so i can fly the "memory hog planes" into the airport without getting an OOM just before landing or shortly after.

I'm not accusing JFK as the culprit as the default airport is not much better in terms of framerates.

Thanks, Ron Gautreau

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Addon Manager Settings
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 07:22:34 pm »
You might want to have a look at this post on flightsim.com

http://forums.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?t=195815

Made by an user that initially though our JFK might have been the cause of OOM, but in the end he found it wasn't, and might be interesting to read it anyway, to see how he found that.

About the settings, almost all of them are not FSDT or Addon Manager settings, they are well known FSX generic settings, the Addon Manager is offering you just an interface to change them without having to edit FSX.CFG, but the end result would be just the same, and they don't affect just our sceneries: the effect is global

Basically, that page is just a freeware generic FSX tweaker included in the Addon Manager...

Some of those tweaks were explained by former MS PM Phil Taylor on his blog:

http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007/05/15/new-tweaks-in-sp1.aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007/06/01/fsx-tweak-of-the-week-or-2.aspx

The only ones that are really FSDT Addon Manager tweaks, meaning they only affect our sceneries are:

- The "Anti PopUp" slider.

This has been just introduced after following an user suggestion that, with a *very* powerful system (like i7 with 1GB or more video cards), it might be more effective to load more scenery at once, for a smoother flight. So, with the slider, you *multiply* by that factor the visual range of any of our 3d objects. Meaning, if you had an object that, by default, had a 1 nm range in our scenery, by setting the slider to 5, its range would be 5 instead.

It's best to use this setting if you have plenty of power to spare. On my machine ( CD2 2.66 4GB, nVidia 8800 GTX ), going from 1 to 10 at KORD, for example, lowers the fps from about 30 to 22 fps. BUT, it might be smoother on faster machines. The default is 1, if you left it as 1, it's just as if there were no tweak applied.

- The "View optimization" checkbox

This is somewhat an experimental feature: if checked, it discard from memory those objects that are not in the forward view angle, like objects behind you. It might offer some advantadge on lower end systems, at the cost of possibly more stuttering. It's disabled by default, and it might be worth to experiment it on different machines...

rdg43

Re: Addon Manager Settings
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 07:31:11 pm »
Thanks Virtuali for the detailed explaination. This helped alot. If I could make a suggestion, this would be of benifit to be put into the manual I think. :)

Thanks for the great products and keep them coming.

Regards, Ron