Author Topic: Why is this software so difficult to install/run? **SOLVED**  (Read 3010 times)

Rusty Gunz

Why is this software so difficult to install/run? **SOLVED**
« on: February 13, 2018, 01:21:59 am »
I have searched this forum and have been unsuccessful, so far, in finding an answer to my problem.  Hopefully I will get a response here that will provide the assistance I need.

I installed GSX four times before I finally had the Addon Manager appear in my FSX Add-ons menu selections.  I am using FSX - not FSX-SE.  The first three installations failed miserably.  I am downloading the software without purchasing the registration simply because I wanted to "try before I buy".  Thus far, I'm not impressed with the installation process.  I have downloaded and installed literally hundreds of software packages and 95%+ of them install without a hitch.  Not so with GSX!

And (before I get flamed), yes, I am very interested in purchasing the software, but I can't purchase something that won't install.  I could have gone the route that others use - find and install a cracked/pirated version, but that's not the way I roll.  If you've gone to the effort to create a quality product, I have no problem compensating you for that effort - which leads to my subject question, "Why is this software so difficult to install/run?".

I added "run" to the question because I still cannot activate the GSX menu with Ctrl-F12.  Something's not right here and finding an answer is not an easy task.

When I was programming applications (yes, I did that for close to 40 years), it was a point of pride for me to make the software extremely user friendly.

I have "money in hand" if I can get GSX to work for me.

I am hoping for enlightenment here (and I may get it, in spades).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 11:16:08 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Why is this software so difficult to install/run?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 10:31:37 am »
GSX couldn't be easier to install and run: just install and run.

Since you don't say why your first install failed, it's difficult to know what was the real cause. 99% of the times, the issue it's caused by faulty antivirus that mistakenly block the software because they have a false positive bug, so this it's easily fixed by disabling the antivirus and configuring it to exclude the whole Addon Manager folder from scanning after the installation.

A less common case of issues, are missing/corrupted system libraries, either the Simconnect library or the VC++ libraries that we (and Simconnect itself) depends on. Fact that under FSX, there are 3 different versions of Simconnect and that many FSX addons insists using outdated ones that, due to the finicky nature of the Windows Side-by-Side loading method, sometimes (when something goes wrong) results in the sim being stuck with one version of the library because there's an addon that use an outdated version of it, to the expense of a more proper add-on like GSX, which obviously use the most updated one for FSX, so users like you are mislead thinking GSX is the problem, when in fact it's the victim of another addon, which has forced the sim to use an outdated version of the base Simconnect library, which is used by all addons to interface with the sim.

When I was programming applications (yes, I did that for close to 40 years), it was a point of pride for me to make the software extremely user friendly.

Then you must have learn that, the first step of a successful troubleshooting, starts with the user providing a report as complete as possible.

I added "run" to the question because I still cannot activate the GSX menu with Ctrl-F12.  Something's not right here and finding an answer is not an easy task.

The first obvious step would be checking if the software has started. Do you have BOTH the Addon Manager and the GSX menu under the "Addons" menu of the sim ? If you are missing a menu, which one is missing ? Are you missing both ?

Rusty Gunz

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 07:27:53 pm »
Thank you for the interesting response and my apologies for the lateness of my reply but I have been very busy with other issues.

First, let me say that I have purchased GSX for use with FSX (my registration number ends in E399).  However, I still would not characterize GSX as "just install and run" based on my experience.  If that were the case, my original post would not have existed.

You've requested additional information which I am happy to supply.

My initial attempt resulted only in the installation of the folders & files associated with GSX.  I had nothing in my FSX Add-ons tab besides FSUIPC.  I then visited the FSDT website in search of answers.  Naturally, I found my way to the Forums page.

There I saw 275 pages of posts concerning GXS.  I did not want to look through all 275 pages for help, so I tried to search the forum for an answer.  Nope, I have to register before I can use the search feature.  No problem, I registered - but I wasn't activated.  Since this took place on a Friday night, I assumed I would not be "activated" until Monday.  Such was the case.  This is not a complaint, I have registered on many forums and understand the delay between registration and being accepted on the forum.

I was anxious to get the software working, so not wanting to wait for forum activation, I began internet searches for possible help.  One of the search "hits" discussed the role of antivirus programs in relation to GSX.  Next step - uninstall GSX, turn off antivirus, reinstall GSX, restart PC.  Results - same as before.

Back to the internet - this time I found information about excluding files from antivirus scanning.  Next step - uninstall GSX, open antivirus program and enter excluded file names, turn off antivirus, reinstall GSX, restart PC.  Results - same as before.

Now very frustrated  :-\, but unwilling to quit, I went back to the internet to search again.  This time I found a suggestion to exclude the entire FSX folder from virus scanning.  I decided to try one more time (my 4th attempt to install).  So - uninstall GSX, open antivirus program and exclude FSX folder, turn off antivirus, reinstall GSX, restart PC.  Results - different but still no GSX operations.  I had the Couatl settings, Couatl Live Update and Addon Manager... appearing in the Addons tab in FSX - no GSX option.

(Please note that after each installation of GSX it was necessary to delete GSX generated entries in the fsx.cfg file to which caused "duplicate name” notifications for all installed aircraft when starting FSX.)

Around this time (Monday), I received an email stating I had been "manually activated" for the FSDT forums.  That's when I made my post to the GSX forum.  While waiting for a response, I continued to work on FSX/GSX.  During this period I got this error message:

couatl v3.2 (build 3894)
panic log started on Tue Feb 13 09:48:10 2018

problem raised by engine or unspecified addon
{'Airport': 'EDDM', 'User Pos': (48.35629722305157, 11.78211667741998, 455.733 m, 2.49581 m, 83.17020852774529)}
User collision geometries reloaded

Also about this time, I found information recommending a download and install of the Standalone Addon Manager.  I went to the FSDT website, downloaded and installed that software.

BINGO!  I can now see all the Couatl selections as well as the GSX option in the FSX Add-ons tab.  So, holding my breath, I press CTRL-F12 – SUCCESS!  GSX loads and responds to my choices.  ;D

Next step – perform an hour’s worth of tests, then, satisfied that all is working properly, I purchase and register the software.

Note that after the 4th installation, I was able to find the FSDT Installation Guide in the Addon Manager folder.  There I discovered the suggestion to exclude the FSX folder in my antivirus program.  There is no mention of this in the GSX User Guide.  It does, however, reference the FSDT Installation Guide.  Remember, though, I don’t know about the FSDT Installation Guide until Addon Manager is available to me as an Add-ons choice unless I start searching my PC for any kind of documentation related to the GSX installation.  That’s something I should not have to do.

I would respectfully suggest that information about the antivirus exclusions and a reference pointing to the FSDT installation guide be included as a part of the installation procedure windows, as well as mentioning the Standalone Addon Manager.  If that is already there, then I apologize sincerely for my inattention to detail and you may disregard this entire post.

I hope this is the information you wanted and that it will be of some use to you.

One additional question on my part – is there a way to increase the time the GSX menu window is displayed in FSX?  I look forward to using your product for added realism in my FSX flights.   :)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 07:31:56 pm by Rusty Gunz »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 11:15:57 pm »
This time I found a suggestion to exclude the entire FSX folder from virus scanning.  I decided to try one more time (my 4th attempt to install).  So - uninstall GSX, open antivirus program and exclude FSX folder, turn off antivirus, reinstall GSX, restart PC.  Results - different but still no GSX operations.  I had the Couatl settings, Couatl Live Update and Addon Manager... appearing in the Addons tab in FSX - no GSX option.

So, it was the antivirus all along.

So, the question about our software supposedly "difficult" to install/run, should have been directed to the developers of the antivirus software, which mistakenly blocked the program from running in your first tries because IT got a false positive, which IS a bug.

Because, of course, we digitally sign all our executables, and we also use a 2nd digital signature called "Taggant", which is an IEEE standard that antivirus developers are supposed to follow, in order to prevent false positives. But not all of them support this, and some trust their bugged heuristics more than a proper standard digital signature.

(Please note that after each installation of GSX it was necessary to delete GSX generated entries in the fsx.cfg file to which caused "duplicate name” notifications for all installed aircraft when starting FSX.)

I'm not sure what you are referring to here. GSX doesn't generate any entry that would cause a duplicate name notification for installed aircraft. At least normally.

If this happened to you, it means your FSX.CFG ALREADY contained a wrong/incorrect/missing/out-of-sequence line in the SimobjectPaths commands so, the issue wasn't caused by GSX, but your pre-existing incorrect configuration. It's not really possible to be able to fix every errors in the sim .CFG file, and it would be wrong if we even tried, because it would risk making the file unusable.

problem raised by engine or unspecified addon
{'Airport': 'EDDM', 'User Pos': (48.35629722305157, 11.78211667741998, 455.733 m, 2.49581 m, 83.17020852774529)}
User collision geometries reloaded[/i]

This because you "fixed" what you assumed was a problem caused by GSX, and removed too much, including the line that was required for GSX to run.

Also about this time, I found information recommending a download and install of the Standalone Addon Manager.  I went to the FSDT website, downloaded and installed that software.

Another GSX reinstall would be the same. There IS some *basic* fixing we try to do to your hand-edited FSX.CFG file, so maybe this was one of the cases we we could fix pre-existing errors (not obviously caused by our installer).

Next step – perform an hour’s worth of tests, then, satisfied that all is working properly

Of course it does.

Note that after the 4th installation, I was able to find the FSDT Installation Guide in the Addon Manager folder.

It was there from the first installation.

It does, however, reference the FSDT Installation Guide.  Remember, though, I don’t know about the FSDT Installation Guide until Addon Manager is available to me as an Add-ons choice unless I start searching my PC for any kind of documentation related to the GSX installation.  That’s something I should not have to do.

You know about the FSDT Installation guide by reading the GSX guide...that's what you said. The FSDT Installation guide was always there, since it's installed by every FSDT installer, including of course the GSX manual which, as you said yourself, refers to it.

One additional question on my part – is there a way to increase the time the GSX menu window is displayed in FSX?  

Sorry, no. Most user want it to be less intrusive as possible, so it goes away fairly quickly, and once you learned the commands, it won't be a problem anymore.

Rusty Gunz

Re: Why is this software so difficult to install/run? **SOLVED**
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 03:39:56 am »
I am afraid I have to address a few items in your last response.

1.  I wrote "I would respectfully suggest that information about the antivirus exclusions and a reference pointing to the FSDT installation guide be included as a part of the installation procedure windows, as well as mentioning the Standalone Addon Manager.  If that is already there, then I apologize sincerely for my inattention to detail and you may disregard this entire post.".  You did not respond.  Wouldn't it be easier for the customers who have paid for your software and for yourself in terms of support, to address known issues in an obvious and upfront manner?  Better yet would be to provide notice on the web page for your product.

2.  I mention that I was able to find the FSDT Installation Guide in the Addon Manager folder after the 4th installation.  You made two comments about that, so let's look at the entire paragraph addressing that issue.  I wrote "Note that after the 4th installation, I was able to find the FSDT Installation Guide in the Addon Manager folder.  There I discovered the suggestion to exclude the FSX folder in my antivirus program.  There is no mention of this in the GSX User Guide.  It does, however, reference the FSDT Installation Guide.  Remember, though, I don’t know about the FSDT Installation Guide until Addon Manager is available to me as an Add-ons choice unless I start searching my PC for any kind of documentation related to the GSX installation.  That’s something I should not have to do.".  Your response concerning the first sentence in the quote was "It was there from the first installation".  That may be true but how was I to know that?  The remainder of the quote details that I had no knowledge of the installation guide until after the 4th installation.

I indicate that the existance of the installation guide is mentioned in the GSX User Guide which I was unable to access until my 4th installation.  You reply that "You know about the FSDT Installation guide by reading the GSX guide...that's what you said. The FSDT Installation guide was always there, since it's installed by every FSDT installer, including of course the GSX manual which, as you said yourself, refers to it.".  Yes, I did read the GSX guide AFTER it was available to me following the 4th installation.  You seem to have lost sight of the fact that all this happens after the 4th installation when the Addon Manager finally shows up in FSX.  And that is my whole point, which you ignore - the installation issues I had most likely could have been avoided had the antivirus requirements been brought to my attention before the first installation per item #1.

3.  I wrote "This time I found a suggestion to exclude the entire FSX folder from virus scanning.  I decided to try one more time (my 4th attempt to install).  So - uninstall GSX, open antivirus program and exclude FSX folder, turn off antivirus, reinstall GSX, restart PC.  Results - different but still no GSX operations.  I had the Couatl settings, Couatl Live Update and Addon Manager... appearing in the Addons tab in FSX - no GSX option.".  Your response "So, it was the antivirus all along.".  Most likely yes, but it could very easily have been avoided per item #1.

4.  Concerning the final successful installation, I wrote "Next step – perform an hour’s worth of tests, then, satisfied that all is working properly, I purchase and register the software.".  Your response "Of course it does.".

That last reply is, in large measure, the reason I posted this response.  I find that somewhat flippant and lacking respect for your clients.  Perhaps, even in those cases where your software is not the issue, it would help if you showed some empathy for those who have purchased your product and are having difficulty with it.  Even if you are right about a point it is not necessary to be smug.  A little humility goes a long way in building customer relationships.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Why is this software so difficult to install/run? **SOLVED**
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 11:36:00 pm »
Your response concerning the first sentence in the quote was "It was there from the first installation".  That may be true but how was I to know that? 

By reading the GSX manual, which says to check that guide for anything related to installation, activation, etc. It's always the same thing for all our products so, it wouldn't make much sense to repeat the same pages over and over in each product, when we simply refer to that separate file, shared by all our installers.

Yes, I did read the GSX guide AFTER it was available to me following the 4th installation.  You seem to have lost sight of the fact that all this happens after the 4th installation when the Addon Manager finally shows up in FSX. 

I don't see how the late appearance of the Addon Manager would have anything to do with your failure to notice the GSX user guide told to check the installation guide. The GSX manual was surely there already, and you could have read it even after the 1st installation, especially considering it didn't go too well.

And yes, the GSX guide is also installed (like any other Windows program out there), with an icon named "Fsdreamteam GSX Documentation", in the Fsdreamteam group of Windows start button.

And that is my whole point, which you ignore - the installation issues I had most likely could have been avoided had the antivirus requirements been brought to my attention before the first installation per item #1.

There are a lot of software out there, which always says to turn off every antivirus before continuing. It's so common, that I guess people won't read it anymore, and would just skip it.

That last reply is, in large measure, the reason I posted this response.  I find that somewhat flippant and lacking respect for your clients.  Perhaps, even in those cases where your software is not the issue, it would help if you showed some empathy for those who have purchased your product and are having difficulty with it.  Even if you are right about a point it is not necessary to be smug.  A little humility goes a long way in building customer relationships.

You are certainly right here. But not being a marketing guy, just a developer that enjoys writing C++ code late in the night, you can only expect honest and correct replies from me, even if they might look too direct sometimes.