Author Topic: KBUR to KJFK crashes FS9  (Read 5687 times)

Dillon

KBUR to KJFK crashes FS9
« on: April 18, 2009, 06:27:36 pm »
Just writing to see if anyone has noticed a flight from the west coast say KLAX, KBUR, or KSJC cause FS9 to crash after landing at KJFK.  I've tried everything but can't figure this one out...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: KBUR to KJFK crashes FS9
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 06:33:34 pm »
Nobody noticed it in the 7 months JFK has been released.

Have you tried to do a similar long flight into any other big airport ? Anything that happens only after making a long flight, is usually a memory leak, and this can be caused for any reason, with aiport scenery being the less likely, considering they don't have actual executable code in it (and in FS9, we don't draw objects in C++, like in FSX)

Dillon

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 10:35:49 pm »
I never tried this flight before the last few days (or flying from the west coast of the US to KJFK).  All my other flights into KJFK were uneventful.  Flying anywhere else is a none issue.  It's just west coast to KJFK that seems to cause a problem...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 11:17:14 pm »
Perhaps, is the age old terrain memory leakage problem so, depending on what areas you pass over (=landclasses, different terrain), you might arrive at JFK in different memory situation and that, since New York is a big scenery, not just the airport, but the whole area, it just crashed because it exhausted all the memory available.

It might be worth to check by keeping an eye with Task Manager on the memory usage.

Also, the memory might not be exhausted, but it might just be fragmented, meaning there is memory, but not a big enough contiguous chunk, when requested. There are utilities around that allows to defrag RAM in real-time, without interrupting your flight (they do it automatically or after pressing a key), it might be worth trying one of those, when making a long flight, perhaps before landing in a big airport.

Dillon

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 04:07:13 pm »
Thanks for the great suggestion...  ;)

Dillon

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 08:54:30 pm »
Virtuali for what it's worth your texture resizer solved the problem.  Turns out the large textures in the release version was too much for my Duo Core 2.66 machine to handle after long flights which ended at KJFK.  Resizing the textures made long flights into KJFK possible again on my machine.

Thanks for the patch...   ;)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 09:13:35 pm »
Dimon,

have you checked this thread here ?

http://forums.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?t=195815

It's FSX related but, who knows, maybe it can be applied to FS9 as well.