Author Topic: Ground vehicles on taxiways  (Read 4287 times)

MD-82

Ground vehicles on taxiways
« on: July 31, 2017, 12:42:06 pm »
Hello,

I just started to mess around with ADE and just modiefied my home airport's AFCAD. Changing the naming convention, parking radii and such. Out of curiosity I found an option to add vehicle driving lanes. So I added them accoring to the airport's main service road. When I opened P3D, the vehicles still used the main taxiway.
My question is, is it worthwhile trying to work on this or does GSX not look at these types of AFCAD lines anyways? If it does what is the requirement for GSX to look at these lines as a possible alternative to the main taxi line?

Thanks,

Xander

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Ground vehicles on taxiways
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 12:57:59 pm »
My question is, is it worthwhile trying to work on this or does GSX not look at these types of AFCAD lines anyways?

Of course it uses them and, in fact, it will use them by preference, giving more weight to vehicle paths.

If it does what is the requirement for GSX to look at these lines as a possible alternative to the main taxi line?

They must connect to the parking in some way, either directly, or through other apron links or taxiways. If a parking cannot be reached by a path, the whole path will not be used.

MD-82

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 01:51:14 pm »
Amazing !!

Thanks. Will start cranking away at it.

MD-82

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 03:53:12 pm »
Umberto,

after some extensive modification I have made improvements in the way the service vehicles drive around my home airport. However I still see that sometimes the trucks, even though there is a direct vehicle link (with intersections at preceding parking positions) to the parking spot, choose to drive via an apron link to the main taxiway, then rejoin the original vehicle link before reaching the parking spot. Does it have something to do with the difference between the apron and vehicle links? Does GSX regards these two types as being equal?

Thanks,

Xander

MD-82

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 08:30:54 pm »
Fixed. I found the "vehicle parking" option.

Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 01:31:03 pm »
Does GSX regards these two types as being equal?

Surely not. As I've said, the links flagged as vehicles, will be given an higher weight in the pathfinding algorithm. Same for parkings, which will affect the *starting* position of vehicles that comes from far away ( Catering, FollowMe, De-icers ).

- If there's a vehicle parking, GSX will use that by preference

- If there's no vehicle parking, but there's a Fuel parking, GSX will use that.

- If there's no vehicle parking and no Fuel parking, the vehicle will start on a random parking of any kind.

MD-82

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 02:10:21 pm »
Hi Umberto,

I am back to see if maybe you can help me out. I am updating PWAK - Wake Island, and as my last step before finishing it, I am trying to allow service vehicles to us proper roads instead of taxiways. Refer to the picture attached. I do notice that of the 2 services requested, both arrive via the taxi links that connect all 8 parking spots. However, I can not get them to spawn on anything other than a parking spot 2 parking spots away from when I currently am parked. I have added not only 2 vehicles parkings, but also a fuel parking to make sure GSX has both primary and secondary options. Still they spawn only 2 aircraft parking spots away.....

Do you maybe see where I can improve upon to let the vehicles spawn from their 1st and 2nd preferences?

Xander

MD-82

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 02:39:05 pm »
Hello again,

as is customary I need to ask a question on the forums before I can fix the problem. I have found the solution in that linking a parking with a vehicle link does not link the parking. Instead, an apron link has to be created. That problem is solved.

Just one last thing. I have seen from old posts, you wanted to implement a feature, allowing passengers to board while walking over the apron the the passenger door. You mentioned it was dependent on implementation of certain features first. Has this feature been implemented? Or is it still in planning?

Thank You ...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2020, 08:20:30 pm »
I have found the solution in that linking a parking with a vehicle link does not link the parking. Instead, an apron link has to be created. That problem is solved.

Yes, I think that is known, usually the last link before a parking is always an apron link.

Just one last thing. I have seen from old posts, you wanted to implement a feature, allowing passengers to board while walking over the apron the the passenger door. You mentioned it was dependent on implementation of certain features first. Has this feature been implemented? Or is it still in planning?

Everything is planned, right now the two main things we are working on for GSX are:

- Porting the Couatl engine to 64 bit, to have a native version for P34 and MSFS

- Working with MSFS