Author Topic: Is there a way to install to P3Dv4 without "touching" P3Dv3.4?  (Read 3011 times)

edwardpat

I have currently P3Dv3.4 installed on my sim PC and plan to install (out of town now and away from my PC) the new P3Dv4 by the end of next week. I've been reading lots of comments about the new install path of all FSDT and FB products taking advantage of the method proposed by LM (outside the sim) since P3Dv3.3. I think this is an excellent move.
I have a question though, is there any way to install the new GSX, KCLT and all the rest of the old FSDT airports to the new P3Dv4 with the new installers without modifying in any way the current P3Dv3.4 installation?. I see no point in applying the "new" method to my current P3Dv3.4 setup, mainly because it will be uninstalled sometime in the following weeks, and all that I would want is it to be as stable as it is now. I've noticed some complaints from the community about the limitations to move up/down the priorities in your scenery layers after been modifyed using the the new path method, and I have a lot of Hawaii scenery manually installed with precise priorities of certain layers above FSDT hawaiian airports and I'm afraid I'll loose that good performing setup.
Thanks in advance for your clarifications.
Ed

edwardpat

Re: Is there a way to install to P3Dv4 without "touching" P3Dv3.4?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 03:37:34 am »
The lack of response makes me understand the answer is "NO". For me no FSDT installs (nor new purchases) until I completely uninstall P3Dv3.4 in some weeks.
Thanks, Ed

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 11:10:46 am »
The lack of response only meant there are only 24 hours in a day, and I (sometimes, but not much), must get a *couple* of hours of sleep...

The answer is VERY simple: when the installer starts, simply deselect P3D V3, and the installer won't touch that installation.

edwardpat

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 05:45:43 pm »
Ok, I see, thanks, will do that way!.
Don't understand then why other users are complaining about the modifications made by the installer to their concurrent P3Dv3 setup.
Ed

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 03:21:05 am »
Don't understand then why other users are complaining about the modifications made by the installer to their concurrent P3Dv3 setup.

Because they just accepted the default (obvious) choice, to reconfigure the sceneries in all the sim which are found to be installed. I guess that, if we defaulted with all the checkmarks disabled, users would complain that we haven't installed anything...