Author Topic: Unable to install SODE with new installers for P3D v4 help  (Read 17232 times)

flightwatch

Re: Unable to install SODE with new installers for P3D v4 help
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 07:17:27 am »
SODE 1.4.2 is NOT the latest version of SODE so, GSX is correct saying your 1.4.2 is outdated, because it is.

The latest version of SODE is 1.5.0, and it's included with the new GSX installer so, if you do as the installer says, and Uninstall SODE 1.4.2, it will install the 1.5.0 version without having to download it separately.

The GSX installer checks the SODE version in the registry so, if you have Uninstalled it properly, the registry should have been cleared so, if you are still seeing that message, it seems something went wrong Uninstalling SODE, so the old registry key for 1.4.2 is still there.

The SODE registry keys might be located here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\12bPilot\SimObject Display Engine\Version
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\12bPilot\SimObject Display Engine\Version

Be sure that both of them are empty, after Uninstalling the existing SODE. If not, remove the Version key.

Oh ok.  I must have misread the website.  I did indeed have left over registry entries...which I subsequently deleted.  GSX installed without issue.

Thank you for your help

starseed

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 07:25:34 am »
I,m sorry but where might I find the SODE yo uninstall having the same issue?? :-X

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 07:28:30 am »
I,m sorry but where might I find the SODE yo uninstall having the same issue?? :-X

Like any other Windows program, SODE can be Uninstalled from the Windows Control Panel, under Programs and Features entry, of (if you have the big icons view) the "Programs/Uninstall program" entry.

dornier

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 08:01:10 am »
I tried uninstalling just 1.3.0, but SODE 1.5.0 wouldn't install.  After uninstalling both 1.3.0 and 1.5.0, GSX installed correctly.  During the SODE registration process I almost missed the extra tab for P3D tab.  Registered both and they both appear to be working correctly now, thanks.

swiesma

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2017, 09:29:11 pm »
Just for my information - is the GSX download on the websitre the "V4 compatible" one?
I did not find that info anywhere and the date stated on the homepage under the download is rather old....

Thanks in advance :-)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2017, 09:32:36 pm »
Just for my information - is the GSX download on the websitre the "V4 compatible" one? I did not find that info anywhere and the date stated on the homepage under the download is rather old....

Yes, it's updated, we just have to update those buttons too...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 01:03:27 am »
Checked Registry as you suggested and all are empty

I'm sorry but, it's not possible that, if the registry keys are empty, you would see that message. So, the only possible explanation is that you haven't checked the registry correctly.

Here's the two affected keys that GSX checks for:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\12bPilot\SimObject Display Engine\Version

And yes, before posting, I tried it again, just to be sure, by manually emptying both keys and, sure enough, GSX proceeds.

Note that, the registry editing will work only to fool GSX into proceeding with the installation but if SODE is not *really* uninstalled and these are not just leftovers, the SODE installer launched by GSX WILL fail just the same, irregardless how what you did to the registry.

I cannot find any mention of SODE on my computer. Why the new GSX installer can not just overwrite and update the registry and save me this headache is beyond me. Bob

That would be totally useless. If GSX didn't care of the registry, the SODE installer would have told you exactly the same, because it is the SODE installer *itself* that doesn't allow to be installed, if it finds an outdated version.

The obvious reason why the GSX installer check first, is that the SODE installation step is done towards the end of the GSX installation, so it wouldn't have much sense to install 90% of GSX, then having you stuck at the SODE step. So, of course, GSX correctly check this as the first thing it does, so you won't have to lose your time waiting for the GSX installation to almost end, only to discover you cannot install SODE, so GSX won't work with jetways anyway, so you'll be back to square one.

You must uninstall SODE, there are no shortcuts around this.

Caribflyer

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2017, 01:27:48 am »
For some reason the new SODE isn't working with my FSX SE. I uninstalled v1.4.2 and I installed the newest GSX installer with SODE 1.5.0. The installation went by just fine with the only exception of Windows Defender being triggered but it didn't say what the problem was. It only said that it was disinfecting a file but the installation continued. After loading up FSX, there was no SODE option in the Add-ons menu and at FSDT airports the jetways didn't work.
Marlon Carter

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2017, 01:37:11 am »
It only said that it was disinfecting a file but the installation continued. After loading up FSX, there was no SODE option in the Add-ons menu and at FSDT airports the jetways didn't work.

It's likely the antivirus has killed SODE so, of course, the proper solution would be uninstalling it again, and reinstalling it with the antivirus disabled. Then, configure the whole SODE folder (usually Program Files (x86)\12bPilot) to exclude it from antivirus scanning.

Caribflyer

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2017, 01:49:27 am »
Thanks, my only problem is that I'm unable to make any changes to Windows Defender even though my profile is Administrator. I'm guessing i'll have to totally disable it.
Marlon Carter

mlgerson

Proper way to uninstall SODE 1.4.2
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2017, 09:02:36 pm »
Could some kindly advise me how to properly uninstall SODE 1.4.2 do I just delete the files

thanks

dfreemanfso

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2017, 11:31:28 pm »
Sir,

I deleted SODE, but am not sure where the two keys are located so I can delete them.  Can you tell me the path to the two keys so I can ensure they are deleted?  I am on Windows 7 64bit.

Thanks,

Dave

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2017, 09:44:01 am »
The installer checks both keys, so you must delete both.

However, doing that, you will only allow the GSX installer to continue up to the point it will run the SODE installer so, if the previous SODE installation wasn't made properly, it will be the SODE installed *itself* which will not work. And, it will fail silently, because we start it in "Silent" mode so, you might assume it worked, because the installation completed with no errors, but it hasn't, so if you would be stuck with the previous version, GSX won't work with it, since it *requires* 1.5

The GSX installer obviously checked this at the start, so you wouldn't have to wait for the whole GSX installation to complete, only to find that SODE would fail to install at the end...

There are no shortcuts: you MUST Uninstall SODE properly.

carl42

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2017, 06:23:13 pm »
I have a similar problem that some of the folks with installing GSX to  fsx-steam with GSX not installing because of SODE 1.4..  Since I am not a computer expert I am assuming SimObject Display Engine is SODE.  The control panel shows two "Simobject display engines" one at 34mb and one 26.0kb. No version numbers given. Are these the ones that must be uninstall and then install GSX.  There are two blocks checked in the initial install shoiuld both be checked.  (1)FSX steam edition stand alone mode and (2) FSX steam alone mode. FSX-Steam is the only flight sim installed on computer. I have almost all your scenery installed prior to installing KCLT with no problems. After installing KCLT all updates appeared to execute and moved to addon manager under Program files(86)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2017, 07:10:15 pm »
Uninstall every version of SODE, then install GSX.