Author Topic: FSW Steam 64bit to replace FSX  (Read 11978 times)

Scorpio47

Re: FSW Steam 64bit to replace FSX
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2017, 12:56:04 pm »
Quote from: Lude2Envy

I moved from FSX to X-Plane 11. The closest thing to GSX, still lack important features. So I would repurchase GSX for X-Plane.

The same is true for me, so you already have 2 customers in the blink of an eye!

ywg256

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2017, 06:41:50 pm »
what I am very interested in as I will be moving from P3D v3.4 to P3D v4 this week is when approaching any FSDT airport there is that little pause on approach for when the scenery loads.  It drives me crazy!!! will we see this disappear in V4? I've read somewhere that you are working on some tweaks that may eliminate this?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2017, 12:18:59 pm »
when approaching any FSDT airport there is that little pause on approach for when the scenery loads.  It drives me crazy!!!will we see this disappear in V4? I've read somewhere that you are working on some tweaks that may eliminate this?

There's no way to remove the initial pause that happens at about 10-15 NM out ( depending on the scenery ), because at some point the scenery MUST be loaded.

It would be wrong, not very honest, and a WASTE of resources, even with more RAM available on 64 bit, if we loaded it, let's say, 300 NM out, so you wouldn't even *think* it wan an FSDT scenery loading, as if we loaded KLAX as soon as you start your flight at KSFO...

What 64 bit will allow, is to remove ANY of the small pauses *after* the initial one, because nothing else will unloaded/reloaded: the whole scenery will be loaded only once, and will stay that way until you go away from it.

Of course, there IS some price to pay for this (there's no free lunch, as they say) because this HAS an impact on frame rate, but at least you can probably buy better hardware to fix this, while on 32 bit, there were no way to fix the memory problems regardless how much money you spent on hardware.

So, the setting will be user-controllable. If you find the fps impact too much for your liking, you will be able to adjust it with the Anti-pop slider in the Addon Manager, which will control now every single object created in an FSDT scenery, not just the ones made by the Addon Manager, which are very few today, as explained here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,15592.0.html

ywg256

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2017, 06:56:22 pm »
I should have watched your video of KCLT in P3D v4 first.  I am at ease with what I saw and thank you for the explanation.  I just upgraded my CPU and put in a ton of ram so I am prepar3d for V4.  Looking forward to buying KCLT.

kdfw

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2017, 07:06:26 am »
what I am very interested in as I will be moving from P3D v3.4 to P3D v4 this week is when approaching any FSDT airport there is that little pause on approach for when the scenery loads.  It drives me crazy!!! will we see this disappear in V4? I've read somewhere that you are working on some tweaks that may eliminate this?

just did a short hop from ktki to fsdt kdfw.  didn't experience the dreaded pregnant pause when approaching kdfw from northeast on the f16.  rendering may take some few seconds but smooth.  p3dv4 is looking good so far.   only thing is autogen still pops on/off instead of using alpha fade. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 07:20:51 am by kdfw »

gmargodt

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2018, 07:41:26 am »
Quote from: Lude2Envy

I moved from FSX to X-Plane 11. The closest thing to GSX, still lack important features. So I would repurchase GSX for X-Plane.

The same is true for me, so you already have 2 customers in the blink of an eye!

I moved to X-Plane 11 too however I still miss the fantastic GSX