Author Topic: FSW Steam 64bit to replace FSX  (Read 11976 times)

fls

FSW Steam 64bit to replace FSX
« on: May 05, 2017, 05:22:27 pm »
Do you have plans to support IT? ::) ::)
Thanks Frank

PhantomTweak

Re: FSW Steam 64bit to replace FSX
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 07:16:57 am »
Steam is making a 64 bit version of FSX??
I hadn't heard about that. Cool!

Pat☺

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 01:58:50 am »
Steam is making a 64 bit version of FSX??
I hadn't heard about that. Cool!

Pat☺

No, Dovetail Games is making a new sim called Flight Sim World that will be 64bit, based off of FSX. See link.

https://flightsimworld.com

Steam doesn't make anything.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 09:00:06 am »

That depends mainly by DTG, how the SDK will be and how their relationship with 3rd parties will work.

fls

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 04:26:23 pm »
Thanks I hope it works out. Really like my airports and GTX.

Thank you Frank

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 08:14:31 am »

That depends mainly by DTG, how the SDK will be and how their relationship with 3rd parties will work.

That's the part that has a lot of devs, namely PMDG concerned if you read their topic on Avsim about it. Of course they DTG said that 3rd party developers can sell their products from their own store as long as its available from their store as well, but as it has been mentioned, selling it via Steam and their store, FSDT could have to give as much as a 60% cut of the profits. If this happens, we won't be able to expect this Sim to go far if none of the top tier developers go for that. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 09:49:09 am »
That's the part that has a lot of devs, namely PMDG concerned if you read their topic on Avsim about it. Of course they DTG said that 3rd party developers can sell their products from their own store as long as its available from their store as well

I'm not too worried about this. The key sentence that everybody seems to be referring to, is this one, posted by DTG on the Avsim forum.

"In order to market as an official FSW add-on, you will be able to sell your add-ons on your own store as long as it is made available on the Dovetail channels as well."

I believe the most important part of the sentence is the "In order to market as an official FSW add-on", which I read to be some kind of DTG-sanctioned add-on, possibly advertised/published either on Steam, or as a DLC from within the sim user interface.

Nowhere it says this will be the ONLY way to market an add-on. DTG Train Simulator has both "official" and "unofficial" add-ons with their own installer, the product is not "locked" to 1st or 2nd party only products.

Now, I might be wrong, of course, and they might just do the same mistake Microsoft made with MS Flight, which happened to them as well with Flight School, so FSW will go the way of the Dodo just like all previous civilians flight sims that tried to lock-out independent 3rd party development but, really, why should they do this ? They have far worse to lose then we do, if the products fails. We'll always have P3D, and even X-Plane, both (soon) 64 bit...

Now, assuming they will allow free 3rd party development, the only thing that's really needed for us, is to have the Simconnect API, or a reasonable/similar replacement. With all these new platforms coming out, I think people will finally realize the advantage of our approach to software development, which will really payoff in the next months, when the two major sim platforms will be updated.

Consider how GSX it's made, for example:

It's an external program, written in Python language, with a custom interpreter (Couatl) we wrote ourselves, which doesn't interface directly with the sim and not even with Simconnect. As far as GSX code goes, it might just run on any simulator, because it's doing only Python calls we designed.

It's Couatl.exe which translates the Python commands made by GSX and then interfaces with the sim using Simconnect, but it might just as well interface with another API, provided it's at least conceptually similar. To GSX itself, it won't make any difference, even if Simconnect were to be replaced by a different API, GSX will still work the same. It doesn't interface with the sim in any way, not even for audio, since it uses its own sound engine.

The Addon Manager, it's the only .DLL that needs to be converted to 64 bit (already done...), but it's now only used as an user interface to the product registration, and it does a *few* things that Simconnect doesn't do but, assuming an eventual different API will offer the same capabilities, we might just update to use it and, again, it won't make any difference to GSX, which will continue to work running its own Python code, totally unaware that it might run under an entirely new sim.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 09:51:11 am by virtuali »

fls

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 05:02:21 pm »
If Prepar3D would go 64bit It would a no brainer!!!
Frank :'( :'( :'(

JSilva

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 08:30:18 pm »
Now, assuming they will allow free 3rd party development, the only thing that's really needed for us, is to have the Simconnect API, or a reasonable/similar replacement. With all these new platforms coming out, I think people will finally realize the advantage of our approach to software development, which will really payoff in the next months, when the two major sim platforms will be updated.

It's an external program, written in Python language, with a custom interpreter (Couatl) we wrote ourselves, which doesn't interface directly with the sim and not even with Simconnect. As far as GSX code goes, it might just run on any simulator, because it's doing only Python calls we designed.

It's Couatl.exe which translates the Python commands made by GSX and then interfaces with the sim using Simconnect, but it might just as well interface with another API, provided it's at least conceptually similar. To GSX itself, it won't make any difference, even if Simconnect were to be replaced by a different API, GSX will still work the same. It doesn't interface with the sim in any way, not even for audio, since it uses its own sound engine.
I heard they're keeping Simconnect in FSW in today's livestream.
PC Specs: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Z97 PRO Wi-Fi AC, G.Skill Trident X 2x8GB RAM DDR3 2400MHz CL10, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11GB EVGA SC2, Corsair RM750

fls

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 05:19:12 pm »
I love all of yours and flight beam  airports. As far as 64bit sim I go where FSDT and FLIGHT BEAM GOES!!!!! Just want to know which to buy or wait for??

Frank
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 05:21:46 pm by fls »

nippa

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 01:35:44 pm »
Just tried FSW  :(

Slow , shockingly slow for a 64 bit program.
I'll try again in 6 months.

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 08:11:01 pm »
Slow , shockingly slow for a 64 bit program.

Just because it's 64bit doesn't mean it's going to be faster, it just isn't going to have the VAS issues that have plagued FSX and P3d.

Lude2Envy

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 04:45:59 pm »

If it's this simple, any plans for GSX for X-Plane? It sure could use it.
Ian

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz
16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4
ASUS Z170-Deluxe
Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
Samsung 950 Pro SSD x2, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 12:44:24 am »

Well, theoretically it would be possible but, it will be a big project so, we are not really sure if the time spent there would pay-back as just doing a whole new version for FSX/P3D because, whole FSX, P3D and FSW all share some commonality in the SDK, X-Plane is quite different.

757 Captain

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2017, 08:20:03 am »

Well, theoretically it would be possible but, it will be a big project so, we are not really sure if the time spent there would pay-back as just doing a whole new version for FSX/P3D because, whole FSX, P3D and FSW all share some commonality in the SDK, X-Plane is quite different.

I moved from FSX to X-Plane 11. The closest thing to GSX, still lack important features. So I would repurchase GSX for X-Plane.