Author Topic: GSX is using the wrong .bgl file... **SOLVED**  (Read 7709 times)

MELKOR

GSX is using the wrong .bgl file... **SOLVED**
« on: March 26, 2017, 12:06:32 am »
P3D version 3.4

I have some custom scenery for CYYZ that is not being recognized by GSX. The scenery is certainly being used by P3D, but GSX is using stock P3D .bgl at $P3D\Scenery\0302\scenery\APX26160.bgl (confirmed in the airport customization dialog).

Hence, I'm not getting all the new and renumbered parking positions in the custom scenery.

I tried to force GSX to use the custom .bgl by creating a file "cyyz.ini" in %APPDATA%\Virtuali\GSX with the following lines:
Code: [Select]
[general]
afcad_path = <path-to-my-bgl>
but, that didn't help.

Any advice?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 08:06:04 am by virtuali »

wsmeier

Re: GSX is using the wrong .bgl file...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 10:10:11 pm »
I see this a lot with afcads I've downloaded from Avsim. My inelegant solution has been to create my own afcad with ADE and place it in an addon scenery folder at the highest level of the library. GSX recognizes those afcads.

MELKOR

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 05:27:09 am »
The .bgl I have was created by myself, but I don't know what folder you're referring to. If you mean the FSX "Addon Scenery" folder, that does not exist in P3D. But, I don't know why GSX would be looking specifically there, anyway...

Thanks.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 10:04:58 pm »
Hence, I'm not getting all the new and renumbered parking positions in the custom scenery

As discussed several times on the forum, for example here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,15383.msg111276.html#msg111276

GSX won't work with "partial" AFCAD, which means AFCADs that only enhance on top of the default scenery, but rely on it to have the complete airport. For example, if the original AFCAD included just a runway and some parkings, if the add-on AFCAD only includes taxiways that are designed to integrate the default data, this is not supported by GSX, which expect the one AFCAD in use to be self-contained.

MELKOR

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 05:31:16 am »
This AFCAD sure looks like a complete replacement of the stock airport to me...

How does GSX determine what .bgl file it's going to use? Is there any way to force it to use a different .bgl?

Thanks.

wsmeier

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 06:25:20 pm »
The .bgl I have was created by myself, but I don't know what folder you're referring to. If you mean the FSX "Addon Scenery" folder, that does not exist in P3D. But, I don't know why GSX would be looking specifically there, anyway...

Thanks.

I created an addon scenery folder myself containing a subfolder named "scenery." I place all the afcads I make there. This new addon scenery folder then needs to be added to the top of the Scenery Library in P3d. GSX will then see these afcads just fine.

MELKOR

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 06:59:34 pm »
Yes, it's in the scenery library,  in the correct place. As I said originally:
The scenery is certainly being used by P3D

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 10:22:06 am »
As I said originally:
 The scenery is certainly being used by P3D

Which, as I've said, doesn't say anything about it. Again: the sim DOES support partial AFCADs, but GSX doesn't. If you are absolutely sure the AFCAD is complete, there are other reasons why GSX won't use it, discussed here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,15417.msg111427.html#msg111427

MELKOR

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 08:39:25 pm »
I am still not able to get GSX to recognize my airport BGL, I am now using Prepar3D V4.1.

I've confirmed that the airport .xml contains the DeleteAirport tag. What do you need from me in order to determine the root cause here? The .xml file? The .bgl file?

Thanks.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 12:22:40 am »
I've confirmed that the airport .xml contains the DeleteAirport tag. What do you need from me in order to determine the root cause here? The .xml file? The .bgl file?

- Enable Logging in the Troubleshooting section of the GSX Settings page

- Choose the "Restart and Rebuild the airport cache" option from the Couatl menu

- Exit from the sim and check your Couatl.LOG file in the %APPDATA%\Virtuali folder. It should tell you why you .BGL has been rejected, assuming it WAS rejected, and it wasn't, for example, a simple case of another scenery in conflict.

MELKOR

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 12:47:07 am »
Here's what I found in the couatl.log file:

File D:\Profile\WCRuppel\Documents\Aviation\Sims\P3D Scenery\General\scenery\CYYZ_ADEP3_WR.bgl skipped, likely too big to be an airport

I see similar messages for several other airport files.

Based on this http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,12525.msg94976.html#msg94976, I set airportCacheMaxBGLSizeBytes and now my .bgl loads as expected.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!