Author Topic: Performance Issue with KLAX Ground Poly  (Read 2903 times)

davegavronsky

Performance Issue with KLAX Ground Poly
« on: February 23, 2017, 11:36:54 pm »
Hi Support,

I have an issue where I'm getting FPS drops and stuttering at FSX FSDT KLAX. It seems to be only apparent when I have a large amount of the ground poly (or taxiways/runways) in view in spot view. I'm not sure why the screenshot didn't capture the AA in FSX:

See screenshot attached (LAX_AfterInstall.JPG)

The strange thing is I'm not getting any performance drop at FSDT KJFK whatsoever. It's smooth as silk:

See screenshot attached (JFK.JPG)

As a test to isolate the problem (and confirm that it's in fact the ground textures and not AI or other scenery) I removed the concrete textures associated with the KLAX runway/taxiways from the FSX\fsdreamteam\KLAX_V2\texture folder and FPS shot up to 30FPS like and stutters are gone...

See screenshot attached (LAX_NoTextures.JPG)

But my question is why does KLAX suffer this problem and not KJFK? What difference would there be in the texture or ground polygons between the two?

Tried reinstalling KLAX and no change. Any help insight would be appreciated!

David
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 11:41:23 pm by davegavronsky »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Performance Issue with KLAX Ground Poly
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 06:56:20 pm »
Nobody ever reported a problem before. However, KLAX is surely more heavy on textures memory usage than KJFK, which was designed with the 2008 PCs in mind.

It's not very easy to understand the issue, with no details about your system. And, even if you have a good system, if you use a very demanding addon airplane, which is eating away all your texture memory on the video card, the video driver, in order to save your system from crashing, will start to swap in/out VRAM and normal RAM, which result in a very large performance loss, especially under DirectX 9.

Try to:

- Switch to DirectX 10 and see if there's an improvement.

- Try different resolutions in the Addon Manager (like 2048x2048 instead of 4096x4096).