Author Topic: Can I install the latest version of Hawaiian Airports to P3D V3.0 and ...  (Read 3526 times)

Noel

...not have GSX automatically updated?

Hello, I did install the airports a week ago or so and some problems ensued that had either to do w/ airports installation, or that GSX was updated during the airports install.   As far as 'some problems', firstly, there was a conflict or something w/ the PMDG 777 such that when I changed views in the VC, or even hit specific buttons, there would be a 1-2 second latency or pause in the video display, and also I happened to be at the gate at CYVR and it was snowing, and every time I changed views or hit another controller button the snowfall would stop for that 1-2 second pause.  The second problem has to do with how FSCaptain worked w/ GSX in the new GSX de-icing entries.   Anyway, I tried several things to restore the perfection I had the simulator and its myriad addons at since 9/2015 when I upgraded to P3D 3.0, but to no avail, so I ended up restoring from a cloned disk done about a month ago and all's well again, though w/o the Hawaiian Airports nor the 1.9 upgrade to GSX I guess is what happened.

So again if you will:  if I reinstall the Hawaiian Airports is it possible to not touch GSX at all?  I don't see a way to revert back to the former version of GSX, and I'm never sure how I should respond when prompted 'Are you sure you want to uninstall Coatl...the addon manager... etc.'  It's really important to me to not mess up how FSCaptain and GSX work as I have a perfect routine for all aspects of their interactions and how I use them.

Many Thanks--I really enjoy GSX but would like to again enjoy the airports that I did use in the past.  I just remembered I posted something on this in the Hawaiian Airports forum but I see no one has yet responded.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 09:35:50 pm by Noel »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Can I install the latest version of Hawaiian Airports to P3D V3.0 and ...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 01:47:56 pm »
As far as 'some problems', firstly, there was a conflict or something w/ the PMDG 777 such that when I changed views in the VC, or even hit specific buttons, there would be a 1-2 second latency or pause in the video display, and also I happened to be at the gate at CYVR and it was snowing, and every time I changed views or hit another controller button the snowfall would stop for that 1-2 second pause.

This doesn't obviously have anything to do with GSX and surely not the update, you simply loaded a plane very heavy on performances, so it's normal there will be some lag when changing views, since the simulator is struggling trying to optimize memory and not loading too much stuff that might not be visible, in order to try to prevent you from crashing due to an OOM.

Nothing related to GSX, of course.

The second problem has to do with how FSCaptain worked w/ GSX in the new GSX de-icing entries.

I'm sorry, but I cannot help you here. I never seen this product and I'm not entirely sure what it does, or how it interacts with GSX. We are trying to add some additional control, using Simconnect, to 3rd party developers, this will hopefully help them improving the interaction with it.

So again if you will:  if I reinstall the Hawaiian Airports is it possible to not touch GSX at all?  I don't see a way to revert back to the former version of GSX, and I'm never sure how I should respond when prompted 'Are you sure you want to uninstall Coatl...the addon manager... etc.'  It's really important to me to not mess up how FSCaptain and GSX work as I have a perfect routine for all aspects of their interactions and how I use them.

I'm sorry, but you can't. You should consider FSDT as being just a single product, GSX+sceneries, and the sceneries being downloaded separately only to save you from downloading something you might not need, but they are basically all part of the same system.

Case in point, we made an update of the deicing strategy, and affected both GSX, Zurich and O'Hare, that used to have some deicing vehicles. This way, users of such 9-years old product, got an update without any effort, for a scenery that might have been otherwise abandoned.

Noel

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 06:05:01 pm »
This doesn't obviously have anything to do with GSX and surely not the update, you simply loaded a plane very heavy on performances, so it's normal there will be some lag when changing views, since the simulator is struggling trying to optimize memory and not loading too much stuff that might not be visible, in order to try to prevent you from crashing due to an OOM.

I'm sorry, but you can't. You should consider FSDT as being just a single product, GSX+sceneries, and the sceneries being downloaded separately only to save you from downloading something you might not need, but they are basically all part of the same system.

Well, first, thank you for the reply.  However I'm afraid you are 1000% wrong on this comment, 'you simply load a plane...so it's normal...'  I use the plane often for a couple of years and NEVER, has it had this issue.   It's absolutely unusable with what it did after the changes w/ the install of the airports/or GSX upgrade.  As I mentioned, it's not simply changing views, it's some button presses as well.  I'm quite sure it was the airports install w/ GSX changes that finished it off, I have no other viable explanation.  I try very hard NOT to upgrade things because of the massive dependencies and potential for exactly this sort of problem.

Thanks again, I'd best hold off on the Hawaiian Airports since there is no option to not upgrade GSX at the same time. That is a shame they can't be treated independently.   There is some discussion ORBX may come out w/ Hawaii at which point I can consider that route.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 06:09:23 pm by Noel »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 06:32:39 pm »
However I'm afraid you are 1000% wrong on this comment, 'you simply load a plane...so it's normal...'  I use the plane often for a couple of years and NEVER, has it had this issue.   It's absolutely unusable with what it did after the changes w/ the install of the airports/or GSX upgrade.

Well, regardless of what you might be convinced, the fact is that we haven't done ANYTHING that would change how the 777 would work at CYVR. It was a very heavy airplane on a detailed airport before, and it still is, and NOTHING in the GSX update could have any effect on it.

I'm quite sure it was the airports install w/ GSX changes that finished it off

No, it wasn't. Unless, if with "airport install", you mean you reinstalled CYVR so, this times, you chose different texture sizes install options compared to the last time you used the scenery, which will obviously affect memory quite a bit, which is of course the whole point of the options.

Noel

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 12:16:30 am »
However I'm afraid you are 1000% wrong on this comment, 'you simply load a plane...so it's normal...'  I use the plane often for a couple of years and NEVER, has it had this issue.   It's absolutely unusable with what it did after the changes w/ the install of the airports/or GSX upgrade.

Well, regardless of what you might be convinced, the fact is that we haven't done ANYTHING that would change how the 777 would work at CYVR. It was a very heavy airplane on a detailed airport before, and it still is, and NOTHING in the GSX update could have any effect on it.

I'm quite sure it was the airports install w/ GSX changes that finished it off

No, it wasn't. Unless, if with "airport install", you mean you reinstalled CYVR so, this times, you chose different texture sizes install options compared to the last time you used the scenery, which will obviously affect memory quite a bit, which is of course the whole point of the options.

It was clearly the airports/GSX install that finished it off.  Why however, I agree is up for debate.  I don't have CYVR, so it was P3D oem CYVR.   Now what makes me conclude something happened was that I fly out of FTX Nor Cal and So Cal KSFO-HD & LAX, and these are very complex areas, and I never have the slightest hint of a lag w/ any aircraft PMDG 777 included.  I've got massive unused VAS while at the gate at CYVR and everywhere else, solid frames locked at 30, and have never witnessed this issue.  I'll concede I don't know the true cause, but absolutely it was after doing the installation.  Hence I'm pretty nervous about attempting this again.  Plus, as I say, I have FSCaptain and GSX working perfectly with the prior GSX version and don't want to mess that up.   Dependencies, this is the problem!  Which is why I maintain I wish LM would release full updates to P3D only, stop w/ the incremental updates.   This way content developers like FSDT could count on a particular version lasting at least 1-2 years w/ no need to make their content compatible.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 04:48:53 pm »
Which is why I maintain I wish LM would release full updates to P3D only, stop w/ the incremental updates.   This way content developers like FSDT could count on a particular version lasting at least 1-2 years w/ no need to make their content compatible.

I think you'll get what you wish for.

Noel

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 07:18:32 pm »

I wonder if you might consider having the add-on manager and update routines look at what products are active, and offer the ability to not upgrade GSX whenever there will be no FSDT sceneries dependent on the latest GSX update as in the example you gave as a rationale for asking me to consider FSDT as a single product.   You may not be aware of FSCaptain but it's another add-on that mingles w/ GSX and so end users who use FSCaptain might prefer control over updating GSX.  I know it's doable, but you may not see it as worthwhile, so this is respectfully asked for you to consider.

Cheers

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 11:14:09 am »
I'm sorry, but what you are asking is not feasible, because it would be impossible to offer any kind of meaningful support, if we are not sure you have the latest version of everything.

It seems, your only real issue is this FS Captain product, which seems to have troubles keeping up with GSX updates. I'm not sure why is the problem, exactly, since I'm not familiar with it.

Noel

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 12:42:45 am »
Actually, I think it's more I have trouble keeping up with updates!   I've just lost interest in troubleshooting whenever changes are made so I tend to avoid keeping up with the pack.  Thanks for listening I'll just live with it for now.   At some point I will update everything but all is working so well now I hate to mess with it, truly.  I was almost going to update P3D from V3.0 to V3.4 but after reading an entire article about potential impacts on 3rd party add-ons I lost interest once again.  There was a time when I enjoyed the constant tweaking but those days are long gone.

I can only imagine what you folks have to go thru whenever P3D goes thru an update!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 12:44:22 am by Noel »