Author Topic: Defragmenting the hard disk  (Read 5200 times)

danydj718

• FSX and FS9 user
Defragmenting the hard disk
« on: January 20, 2009, 05:58:25 pm »
Good evening

Today, I defragmented my main hard disk. A few minutes ago, I made a flight in FSX from LSZH to LFLB (FranceVFR). So I took off at Zurich and overflew the airport again, when I noticed (I may be wrong, but it was my impression) that the airport's textures were loading slower than usually. I took about 5 to 6 seconds.
As I approached Chambéry from north, I saw Geneva from about 13'000ft, and I noticed the same thing. During the flight, the fuselage textures of my Wilco 319 were sometimes there and sometimes just black.. And it isn't a performance problem at all.

Is this all because I defragmented the hd?

Kind regards
Proud LSZH, LSGG, KJFK, KFLL and KDFW owner!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Defragmenting the hard disk
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 08:02:14 pm »
Just degrafmenting the hd will not always get performance advantadges.

Part of the loading process is the actual loading process of the file, which might be improved if the file is not too scattered around the hd, but part of the loading time is also depending on *locating* the file in the directory structure, which is more and more important, the more files you have in a folder.

So, on top of just defragging the hard drive, another thing to note is what algorythm and strategy is used to optimize the files, like sorting for name, were to physically put big/small files or frequently/rarely accessed files. All of these have an impact and might be more or less suitable for flight sim use.

O&O defrag 8.6, using the COMPLETE/NAME method is reported to be very good with flight sim, have a look at this thread as well, which covers a lot about defragging:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=27932

danydj718

• FSX and FS9 user
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 08:35:05 pm »
Thanks virtuali, but that's not cheap at all..  :-[

I think I have to re-install all the products if I don't want to buy this defrag program, right?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 08:36:34 pm »
No, of course not, unless you want to reinstall Windows just install a defragger, which is surely not needed!

danydj718

• FSX and FS9 user
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 08:43:55 pm »
I used the windows defragging program.

I'll try to reinstall the airbus, which is the main problem. But I don't think that the texture files are out of order, because sometimes they appear.

Gunfighterj

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 12:42:04 am »
If not that maybe your archive directory, or registry directory is looking in the wrong place for the files. After you de-fragged, it probably didn't "notify" either of the directories. If you go into the folder where these issues occur, open the folders properties, go to advanced (under attributes) and deselect and archive/index properties. Restart your computer ( to clean the archive) and reselect the properties that you un-selected. This fixed a problem I had awhile ago.

Flyingnut

• Flyingnut
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 03:27:19 am »
OO Defrag has a 30 day free trial.  It is an excellent defrag tool that is worth the money.

Marty
Marty
PPL - Instrument Rating