Author Topic: The addon <unknown> is causing the couatl scripting engine to restart  (Read 8394 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: The addon <unknown> is causing the couatl scripting engine to restart
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 10:33:55 am »
2. The scenery I used is Download ID No. 189874 from AVSIM: "LIMC - Malpensa Intl Airport - Milan, Italy" written by Ray Smith and Craig Scott.

I downloaded this and yes, of course, the problem is the scenery. I cannot see the error anymore, because we are testing an updated version that doesn't display the error anymore, but the problem happens because the scenery AFCAD has been skipped, because it's larger than the default threshold GSX use to speed to the cache regeneration, as explained here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,14187.msg107184.html#msg107184

boilerbill

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 01:10:18 am »
Umberto...

Just to let you know, I did as you suggested by adding airportCacheMaxBGLSizeBytes  = 4000000 to the couatl.ini file. That seems to have solved the problem. I'm just getting back into FSX and I didn't connect my problem to the other thread as I try to catch up again. It surprises me that a free addon airport could be so big since I've got many payware airports that would seem to be much bigger and I've never encountered a problem. Anyway, thanks for being as helpful as always.
Stu

Specs: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07 Hz, 12 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX 465 w/4 GB RAM, Driver v301.42 , LG W2753 monitor (1920x1080x32), Windows 7 x64 Home Premium

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 10:47:34 am »
It surprises me that a free addon airport could be so big since I've got many payware airports that would seem to be much bigger and I've never encountered a problem.

The problem is not the total size, but the size of the AFCAD. Commercial developers knows very well that, lots of the issue/bugs in a scenery are usually related to the AFCAD, so they keep it separate in a small file, in order to be able to update it more quickly. AFCADs for the default scenery are all quite small, even if they contain more than one airport, so GSX tries to take advantage of this, in order to speed up the cache regeneration time, so it won't even look at a file, if it's considered "large".

However, the FSX SDK allows to place airport data (AFCAD) together with objects or even textures, and some freeware authors take advantage of this, making a single .BGL with all the scenery, because it might be easier to install by simply adding it to the "Addon scenery" folder, so they might exceed the default threshold we set, which is 1.2 MB.