Author Topic: FSX/P3D dual use: excludes  (Read 1916 times)

Henni100

FSX/P3D dual use: excludes
« on: November 08, 2016, 01:03:44 pm »
Hi,

I am in the process of moving to P3D, but since there is a lot to do I want to keep my FSX installation.

I managed to install GSX into FSX and P3D, everything is working fine.

Since I have some OOM problems in FSX (esp. using FSLabs A320) I thought I can save memory if I disable GSX at airports for which I have AES service.
I haven't found anything about this idea, maybe it won't help at all.

Trying to figure out how the exclude-function works, I realized that there is only one ini file used for both: FSX and P3D.

So if I would exclude the AES-airports from GSX in FSX, I exclude the use in P3D also. Since AES won't run in P3D that is exactly what I don't want at all.

My question is:

Is it possible to save memory to prevent OOM-CTDs when excluding AES-serviced airports from GSX?
If the answer is yes, is there a way to have a seperate exclusions for P3D and FSX?

Greetings
Henni

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSX/P3D dual use: excludes
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 04:54:26 pm »
Is it possible to save memory to prevent OOM-CTDs when excluding AES-serviced airports from GSX?

Surely not.

GSX doesn't take ANY memory if you don't call it, since its own logic runs entirely outside the sim (under the Couatl.exe process, so it has ITS own separate VAS). It will start to take some memory only after you start calling the services, which will cause objects/textures to be created.

So, the simple solution, instead of excluding airports, it's just not call GSX.

But don't think you are "saving" any memory using AES. In fact, it will be exactly the opposite: since AES runs entirely in-process (it runs in a .DLL, so it takes away VAS from the sim not just for the objects, but for the program logic, too), you are going to waste even more memory this way so, it would be best doing the opposite, and use only GSX, calling it only when you think there will be enough memory available.