Author Topic: Upgraded to Windows 10 - Partly missing terminals and black spaces **SOLVED**  (Read 6232 times)

Gerpilot

Hi,

i upgraded to Windows 10 Professional a few days ago. Migration went well.
FSX SP2 is running, but i have the problem of partly missing terminals and black squares (please see attachements).
They reappear when getting really close.

These appear at all couatl driven airports (also flightbeam), e.g. KMEM, KLAX KLAS, KIAH, KSFO HD, PHNL, etc.

What i did so far after reading several posts:

- I updated my NVIDIA  drivers --> Clean install
 - I checked any compatibility mode of fsx.exe couatl.exe --> No compatibility mode running.
 - I downloaded the latest KLAX installer and re-installed. (as Admin, AV and firewall turned off)
 - I then downloaded and re-installed GSX (as Admin, AV and firewall turned off)
 - In game i was advised of a new version of Addon Manager. I downloaded and in installed the Standalone Addon Manager (as Admin, AV and firewall turned off). Version: 3.0.0.15
 - I deleted and resetted my FSX.cfg

Couatl and Addon Manager are showing in the menue bar.

My system:
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 10586)
Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5650  @ 2.67GHz (6 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 12288MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 12286MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750

Any help and advice is kindly apreciated.

Thank you

Dirk
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 03:38:03 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
FSX SP2 is running, but i have the problem of partly missing terminals and black squares (please see attachements). They reappear when getting really close.

The antivirus doesn't have *anything* to do with this. If the antivirus was a problem, the programs wouldn't even start, and there would be NO objects whatsoever.

If instead, if the objects appear when you are getting close, I'm afraid I can only repeat and confirm the only known causes are:

- A problem with video drivers and/or FSX settings, which can be fixed by resetting the drivers to default and/or resetting the FSX.CFG

- FSX running in "Compatibiity" mode

- Another 3rd party addon that starts with FSX in Compatibility mode.

Sorry, but there are no other known causes and no other known fixes.

In addition to that, I can only confirm the problem doesn't have anything to do with Windows 10, which is surely supported, and it's the only OS we use at FSDT right now.

Gerpilot

Hi Umberto and thanks for your hints.

- A problem with video drivers and/or FSX settings, which can be fixed by resetting the drivers to default and/or resetting the FSX.CFG
- Done. No improvement. Reset to my backed up NI-Profile and added the tweaks from Addon Manager again to FSX.cfg.

- FSX running in "Compatibiity" mode
- No. Right click --> Properties --> Compatibility shows unchecked

- Another 3rd party addon that starts with FSX in Compatibility mode.
- I checked the programs in exe.xml and none of them is running in compatibility mode.

I just wonder, because this setup ran well on my Win7.
Well, it runs well now too, except for the problem stated above at all my FSDT and Fightbeam airports.

Anymore hints maybe?

Kind regards

Dirk

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
I just wonder, because this setup ran well on my Win7.

The only thing I can think of, is a difference in video driver settings, which is why I said to try a video driver clean installation.

Reset to my backed up NI-Profile[/quote[

What's an "NI-Profile" ? Are you using an additional video driver tweaker ? Don't. Just make a clean driver installation. Not all tweaks are consistent and usable between different versions of the drivers and OS.

Gerpilot

Hi Umberto and thanks for your further support.

NI= NVIDIA Inspector.

New Observation from my side:
The problem appears in the default Glieder (as shown in my attachments) and in the QW 757, but not in the AS Airbus.

Has it something to do with viewpoints, Zoom settings, etc.?

Any hint?

Thanks and kind regards

Dirk

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Has it something to do with viewpoints, Zoom settings, etc.?

Only if the video driver has a problem with a tweak OR if the Compatibility mode is enabled. It looks as if LODs are entirely screwed up, and they ARE dependent on BOTH the zoom setting AND the video resolution. Maybe, because of a video driver issue, the sim calculates LOD wrongly, because it reads the wrong screen size.

That's the only explanation I have. LODs are obviously needed (not all developers use them, that's why their fps is usually worse), but if there's a bug in their calculation, due to problems in the video drivers, is nothing we have any control over.

Gerpilot

Hi Umberto.

Thanks for your reply.

I just redownloaded and installed the most up to date video driver (clean install). No improvement. At that moment no graphic card tweaks applied.

Testing the PMDG 777 all buildings are there as they should. But still not with the default glider, the QW757 and PMDG 737NG.

Is it a problem of the current driver?
Do you have hints what FS related programs could run in compatibility mode? As i already mentioned i checked those written in the exe.xml of FS.

Thank you and kind regards

Dirk

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Is it a problem of the current driver?

We all use the current driver, and never able to replicate on any of our systems before, with every Windows version, every version of the driver and every possible tweak.

The only reason why we suggested this, which we were never able to witness first-hand, is according to users report that HAD this problem, even in other driver releases and other Windows versions, which was ALWAYS cured by either:

- Resetting the video settings to default

- Ensuring that NO FSX addon or FSX itself runs in Compatibility mode.

There are no other KNOWN solutions. Which doesn't obviously mean there might not be other solutions, just we don't know about them because, as I've said, the only knowledge of this problem comes from users reports and users reports about how they fixed it.

Do you have hints what FS related programs could run in compatibility mode? As i already mentioned i checked those written in the exe.xml of FS.

Anything that starts in the EXE.XML, or the DLL.XML, or that launches FSX.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 10:14:32 pm by virtuali »

Gerpilot

Anything that starts in the EXE.XML, or the DLL.XML, or that launches FSX.

In dll.xml are only dll modules. I don't know how to check those if they are running in any compatibility mode. I don't think that is possible, isn't it?
All programs stated in exe.xml are checked from my side and they are not running in compatibility mode.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
In dll.xml are only dll modules. I don't know how to check those if they are running in any compatibility mode. I don't think that is possible, isn't it?

You don't, but if they do something that would cause the sim to run AS IF it was in Compatibility mode, there would be nothing you could do. Except disabled them.

Have you tried to disable *everything* ( setting the <Disabled>True</Disabled> line in the XML file ), except our modules, bglmanx.dll in the DLL.XML file and Couatl.exe in the EXE.XML ?

And, have you checked if you haven't mistakenly set a Compatibility mode for Couatl.exe itself ?

All programs stated in exe.xml are checked from my side and they are not running in compatibility mode.

Maybe you have a program that start with Windows that does that. Something that have an interaction with the video drivers, like a screen capture or screen overlay, or something similar.

If not, it must be a video driver problem. As I've said, they are the only KNOWN causes for this problem and, right now, EVERY single user that ever had it, fixed it as already explained: resetting the video driver AND the FSX.CFG OR removing a program that ran into Compatibility mode.

Gerpilot

Hi Umberto.

Now everything is back running. One time i suddenly was advised to re-install the standalone addon manager. I also bought some Orbx scenery and instaleed (OpenLC NA).
Boom: Everything works fine again now.

But anyways: You mentioned some great points to check if the problem should reappear.

Thank you and kind regards

Dirk