Author Topic: GSX not working after last update - P3D 3.3  (Read 16447 times)

azragod

GSX not working after last update - P3D 3.3
« on: July 10, 2016, 12:48:55 pm »
Hi all,

Like many other users said in many other forums, after last update, GSX doesn't appear in addon-menu. First error was the already explained "unknown add-on error", so I manually updated GSX (stand-alone manager). No more succes.

I already tried to :

uninstall all, re-install, restart all, de-activate and re-activate from addon manager (which unistalling and reinstalling worked well...), nothing works. Couatl.exe still not running.

I also could see that nothing relevant was written on de dll.xml file.

So, also tried to add manually the lines :

Launch.Addon>
<Name>Addon Manager</Name>
<Disabled>False</Disabled>
<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
<Path>bglmanx.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>

But no more succes so far...

Any idea ?

Thanks for reply.

Lionel

azragod

Re: GSX not working after last update - P3D 3.3
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 12:57:57 pm »
Just tried to launch couatl.exe manually (from Prepar3d\fsdreamteam\couatl folder) after P3D start, and suprise... It works now ! But P3D still don't run it automatically.....

Lionel

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 10:51:01 am »
I cannot be sure if your EXE.XML is correct. It's surely wrong as you posted it, since it's missing an opening tag. If the EXE.XML has an error, the sim will ignore it entirely.

Also, if you use P3D, the correct place for the file is the %PROGRAMDATA%\Lockheed Martin folder, not the %APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin folder
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 11:28:51 am by virtuali »

azragod

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 11:14:03 am »
Thanks for your reply, but...

The FACT is that everything worked well before your last update.

Problems came WITH and because of your update.

It's quite annoying, at least, that your customers have to check all their system and find by themselves where your program made errors.

Please don't invert responsabilities.... and please work on your update program which cause these problems to finaly fix them !

Thanks.

Lionel

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 11:25:52 am »
The FACT is that everything worked well before your last update.

Problems came WITH and because of your update.

You are confusing the effect with the cause. What you are labeling as "fact", it's what is happening now, so it's the effect. But it's not what has CAUSED it.

It's quite annoying, at least, that your customers have to check all their system and find by themselves where your program made errors.

According to your own report, you first had this error:

First error was the already explained "unknown add-on error"

Which is caused because you haven't updated the software when prompted.

Then, you have the issue of the Couatl.exe which doesn't start automatically, but it WORKS if you start it manually (always according to your report, so I guess the initial error is gone, right ? ) AND you posted an XML that, as you posted it, is surely wrong, because it's missing an opening tag.

This will explains exactly why the sim doesn't launch it automatically but of course, since (as I've said) I cannot be sure if your EXE.XML is correct, but It's surely wrong as you posted it, since it's missing an opening tag, what other options I have, other than suggesting a fixed based on what data YOU are supplying here ?

Please don't invert responsabilities.... and please work on your update program which cause these problems to finally fix them !

That's precisely the mistake you did: inverting responsibilities. I already clearly indicated a possible reason of the problem, which seems to be caused by a problem in the XML file, assuming you posted it as it is, which is not even certain.

And, as I've said, if you use P3D 3.x, the correct place for the file is the %PROGRAMDATA%\Lockheed Martin folder, not the %APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin folder, this just to be sure you are looking at the correct file.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 11:29:26 am by virtuali »

azragod

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 11:37:27 am »
Just updated to last version, same issue.

Once again, this problem came with your update.... My system worked perfectly before and supported previous updates, even with lots of other add-ons installed, setted up and so.

As usual, I'll do by myself and find alone what is wrong. Obviously, your program did (or didn't) changes in .xml or .cfg or whaterver other files.

As customer, I'm disappointed. Blaming your users is quite simple. Thinking about errors and word on fixing them could be better. Don't worry for me, I'll find a solution, goggle is my friend and hopefully the simmers community is really more objective. I just hoped that reporting bugs and errors could help you to fix your bugs and errors.

What a poor support....

Regards.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 01:56:58 pm »
Just updated to last version, same issue.

What do you mean with "same issue" ? The "unknown program" error, or the fact the program doesn't start automatically with the sim ?

From your initial report, you said you ALREADY "updated to last version" and this should have fixed the first error (which was caused by the fact you never updated in the first place when notified).

If the "same issue" now is the program doesn't start automatically, but otherwise works if started manually, this WON'T be fixed by "updating to the last version", simply because it's nothing that we could or should fix in the first place so, if this is the issue, why you updated again, instead of posting your XML files, so we could check them ? The file WAS surely wrong as you posted it, but I already explained why it's best if you posted the actual file, not just copying it manually a part of it in the message.

Once again, this problem came with your update.... My system worked perfectly before and supported previous updates, even with lots of other add-ons installed, setted up and so.

Stop repeating this. You are again confusing the effect with the cause.

As usual, I'll do by myself and find alone what is wrong.

So you'll maybe find what you did wrong. Like having edited the xml file manually trying to fix the problem, for example.

Assuming your XML file IS really as you posted it, which I cannot possibly be sure of this unless you posted the ACTUAL file, instead of copying & pasting it on the forum message, since you might have simply made a mistake (it's easy to make mistakes...) copying it in the forum, but the file is otherwise fine.

So, again, I based my reply on what data YOU supplied, which was a corrupted XML file, and this is consistent with the issue you reported, that the program RUNS FINE when started manually, but doesn't start automatically.

Obviously, your program did (or didn't) changes in .xml or .cfg or whaterver other files.

"Obviously" not.

The installer surely changes the xml, but it will NOT corrupt it!! It only uses the official XML routines that are in Windows to add/remove sections from it, and it won't dare touching it if there's already a problem with it.

There has been several reports here of OTHER adons corrupting the xml files in the forum, but NOBODY ever reported an xml file corrupted by any of our installers.

As customer, I'm disappointed. Blaming your users is quite simple. Thinking about errors and word on fixing them could be better. Don't worry for me, I'll find a solution, goggle is my friend and hopefully the simmers community is really more objective. I just hoped that reporting bugs and errors could help you to fix your bugs and errors.

Everybody knows that we always fix what SHOULD be fixed by use. This problem is NOT something that has anything to do with any of our software.

Of course, if you took the time to post your XML files properly, which means ZIPPING them together, and ATTACH them to a post, I could have a look at them, and CONFIRM if this was really a "corrupted XML" file problem.

And as I've said, several times, we are not even sure that what you posted is the file *actually* used by the sim.

1) Be sure you are looking at the EXE.XML file in the %PROGRAMDATA%\Lockheed Martin folder

2) DO NOT copy it in a post. ZIP the file (perhaps together with the DLL.XML too), and use the "Attach" function of the forum to Attach it to a message, this way I can be sure I'm looking at your ACTUAL file, as it is, instead of the part that you copied it in the forum.

THEN, after we assessed whether the problem is a problem with the XML file OR it's something else, we can start CONTINUING in the Troubleshooting process, that will eventually find what's wrong in your system that is preventing the program to start automatically, assuming THIS is still the problem you are having now.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 02:06:42 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 02:12:28 pm »
Of course, if you don't want to do all of this, we can always have the option to have a Teamviewer session, so I can check your system directly, and fix it in no time, and show you what the real problem was to begin with.

Send me a PM ( Private Message in the forum ) or an email, and we can arrange this.

RacsLee

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 07:42:32 pm »
Dear Support!

I have the same issue, since the last update the gsx is not working. It's unable to open the gsx window with the CTRL+SHIFT+F12, and from the Add-ons - GSX - Show GSX menu.
I tried to uninstall and reinstall, but nothing changed.

How can we solve this, what do you need from my side?

Thanks in advance
Charles

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 05:08:19 am »
I have the same issue, since the last update the gsx is not working. It's unable to open the gsx window with the CTRL+SHIFT+F12, and from the Add-ons - GSX - Show GSX menu.

You don't have the "same" issue. The OP said it cannot get the Couatl program starting automatically with the sim, while you clearly have it running, otherwise you wouldn't have the GSX menu under "Addons", which clearly indicates everything started properly.

Instead, your issue is one that has been discussed so many times already on the forum and it's not a GSX problem. It's a P3D 3.x installation bug that is very well known but still hasn't been fixed yet.

If you upgrade P3D using the "Client" installer, NO 3rd party application with a menu will work, because the Client installer is missing some files in the sim that needs to be updated. To fix this, you must install the P3D "Content" or the FULL P3D installer.

swaluver88

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 10:37:52 pm »
Im having the exact same problem, i do favor its in the update, ive tried opening it manually still didnt work. i did just install AS2016 idk if that can be the problem
swavirtual.com member. Pilot id: SWA5931

FSX FREAKZ

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 12:34:49 pm »
Is there a fix being made as I have the issue where its in my menu but CTRL F12 wont open anything? And I have checked all the content re done that used the full P3D installer. I am annoyed as I haven't been able to fly with realism since the new update.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 02:15:22 pm »
i did just install AS2016 idk if that can be the problem

One user here reported a problem caused by AS2016, maybe a key conflict:
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,14071.0.html

Another user here reported the XML file being corrupted after installing AS2016:
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,14044.msg104015.html#msg104015

I haven't verified this, just linking what users are reporting.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 02:26:59 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 02:20:19 pm »
Is there a fix being made

You mean a fix for P3D made by LM to fix the problem caused by the Client installer not updating the menu system ? We don't know, but we can only hope...

as I have the issue where its in my menu but CTRL F12 wont open anything? And I have checked all the content re done that used the full P3D installer.

With "won't open anything", you mean any 3rd party application with a menu ? That's precisely what the problem is.

I am annoyed as I haven't been able to fly with realism since the new update.

Sure, we are as annoyed as you, because users are mislead thinking this is something that has something to do with GSX, when in fact it's a P3D installation bug.

Assuming, of course, you REALLY have the SAME problem discussed here, which is:

- GSX menu visible under "Addons"

- No transparent in-game menu when pressing the default GSX hotkey or when selecting to start GSX from the "GSX" menu too.

If, instead, you don't even have the GSX menu under the "Addons" menu, that's an entirely different issue, and it indicates GSX hasn't started.

FSX FREAKZ

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 04:17:41 pm »
No transparent in-game menu when pressing the default GSX hotkey or when selecting to start GSX from the "GSX" menu too.
That is my issue :-)
If it helps this is what the panic log says

couatl v3.1 (build 3467)
panic log started on Wed Jul 20 11:36:18 2016

problem raised by engine or unspecified addon
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: Bad magic number in C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\fsdreamteam\couatl\wx\__init__.pyc
Application aborted because of a Python error
{}
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 04:26:06 pm by FSX FREAKZ »