Author Topic: Compared FSX vs FSX-SE, decided on FSX-SE, how to uninstall FSX properly??  (Read 2696 times)

jimstiles

Hi all,

I've been an FSX user for years but have been testing FSX-SE to see whice one would give me the best performance on my system. I've decided that FSX-SE works the best for me. I am not overloaded with addons so switching over will not be a problem, everything I have installed on my FSX will work on SE.

My question is, what is the correct and/or best way to completely uninstall FSX so that there won't be any leftover files that might confuse any SE installers? Also, will this require me to also uninstall my current FSX-SE and reinstall it so it will creat the proper files/folders?

Thanks for any help, I tried searching the different forums and didn't find anything but I think I've seen it posted somewhere. If you have a link to it I could use that too.

Thanks

rabulafia

Hello,

As per my experience I can share with you this keynotes

- For a Clean FSX:SE installation, I would rather suggest to reinstall from scratch the OS (Windows 10 Home highly recommended) and FSX SE
- Best scenario is to have the OS within an SSD and install FSX SE on a separate HDD or Hybrid HDD (not solid state). This is because the disk C windows always complaints about permissions and stuff like that with Program Files Folders
- The only stuff I had issued and coulnd´t worked arround were the VATSIM Pilot software: Squawkbox, FSinn, FSCopilot and vPilot. The only that worked partially is vPilot but the problem is that you cannot used with FSX SE Full Screen and sometimes (most of the times) when you try to exit FSX SE to connect vPilot it will crash. The reply from Vatsim is that the programs are written in different language. I will try IAVO which has a software that works fantastic.

Suggested Add-on:

- REX HD & Overdrive
- 3D FSPS Cokpit
- xTreme FSPS
- Active Sky
- PMDG Products (737 & 777)
- iFly 747 (is superior than PDMG´s)

Hope it Helps,
Cheers

RA

PhantomTweak

First and foremost, you don't HAVE to uninstall FSX to have FSX-SE installed. They can both be present with no conflicts. The only problem you MIGHT encounter is with some add-on's autoinstaller. I don't trust those things anyway, and always point them at a Temp folder, then install the results myself, with cut-n-paste. The only autoinstaller I ever trusted was the one they made for the FSDT FSX BA F/A-18C, v16.1, a wonderful plane, from this wonderful site (yeah, I'm a suck-up :) )

Having said that, there is a thread here with pretty detailed info on How-to uninstall FSX: http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx

Does that help any?
Pat☺