Author Topic: KMEM Stuttering  (Read 54593 times)

gianlucaballoni

Re: KMEM Stuttering
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2016, 05:05:50 pm »
Hi Umberto,
yes,have another scenery FSDT like KJFK and CYVR...i have all scenery of FlightBeam...and...no problem. Repeat, the problem at KMEM it's very "not normal" because the performance are good, fps ok, but i have this micropause, no fps loss, performance loss...only this micropause. I have good pc, 4790k,32gb ram and 980ti, win 10 x64 and ssd for p3d. Only at KMEM i have this particular problem. I have last update of your addonmanager, but don't resolve.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2016, 05:14:18 pm »
Try with different AffinityMask settings. Start with 14, which is a good value to start with, on a quad core.

gianlucaballoni

« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2016, 05:26:35 pm »
i don't use Am, i'm use ht off without any entry for am.
Am=14, with ht on, don't like in p3d for me. In fsx best settings, but in p3d v3...not.
Now install KJFK v2 and CYVR and retest this for confirm if this scenery have or don't have same problem like KMEM.
Few months ago, in p3d v3.1 i don't see any micropause in CYVR and KJFK v2.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2016, 05:44:25 pm »
i don't use Am, i'm use ht off without any entry for am. Am=14, with ht on, don't like in p3d for me. In fsx best settings, but in p3d v3...not.

That doesn't seem to indicate you TRIED IT, at KMEM. Please do.

See some threads here:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=117372&p=129885#p129847
http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=117028

gianlucaballoni

« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2016, 05:57:17 pm »
Ok...but...with or without HT active?

...few minutes ago i test KJFK v2 and CYVR and no micropause, test KMEM again, with default F22 (light on fps and VAS), i have micropause.
For example...from stand cargo 653 when go to 18C micropause start when entering in main taxiway for 18C (from 653) and continue to enter in the runway. At parking don't have micropause.

gianlucaballoni

« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2016, 09:59:13 pm »
try am=14, same problem. :(

gianlucaballoni

« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2016, 10:12:08 pm »
...in prepar3d.cfg i have this settings for FSDREAMTEAM...

[FSDREAMTEAM]
AltitudeCull=1
AntiPopUp=21
GroundTraffic=1
ViewOptimization=0

it's correct? Any suggestion for this settings to resolve the KMEM micropause?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2016, 05:22:41 pm »

Every possible known suggestion has been discussed here. It's just strange that neither the affinity mask or the pre-rendered frames don't make any difference to you, because they have for other users.

garymcginnis

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2016, 12:21:12 am »

Every possible known suggestion has been discussed here. It's just strange that neither the affinity mask or the pre-rendered frames don't make any difference to you, because they have for other users.

I joined the forum today just for this..... I have been a long time user of FSDT with smooth results. The KMEM scenery just isn't as smooth. I've tried all the settings mentioned in this topic as well as others I've come up with (long time fsx.cfg tinkerer).

I can definitely report that my FSX was stutter free before install on KMEM and after I finally rolled back my FSX.cfg to pre-install KMEM FSX.cfg (the installer/add-on manager dumped some of my tweaks) I still see a slight hitch every couple of seconds on approach to runway 18L/C/R as well as half way thru my takeoff roll on 27. On roll-out from landing, about halfway down the runway, it goes back to 100% butter smooth. I can also report that KMEM is the only airport that does this within FSX (FSDT and other products). Before you ask if I tired to use the edited fsx.cfg from after the install, I did and FSX was a joke until I looked thru fsx.cfg and found what was removed by the install. Basically the hitch I am getting is almost not noticeable but it still is and it happens from about 3 miles out for the south runways up thru touch down (which seems to be reported by everyone across the board).

Again it is more a nuisance to me but I believe the issue can be resolved!

** Specs **
FSX
i7-4790K OC'd 4.4GHz (temps under load low 50*C area)
KINGPIN GTX980
840 SS (OS)
850 SS (FSX)
GSYNC/GSYNC Monitor (VSYNC off)
FSDTANTIPOP=30
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 12:24:40 am by garymcginnis »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2016, 05:23:32 pm »
(the installer/add-on manager dumped some of my tweaks)

The installer removes the BufferPools section, because it has been proven to be dangerous and a sure cause of crashes, at least with the non-Steam edition of FSX:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,13623.msg104768.html#msg104768

Before you ask if I tired to use the edited fsx.cfg from after the install, I did and FSX was a joke until I looked thru fsx.cfg and found what was removed by the install

I'm sorry, but that's not "a joke", and we cannot afford to have users reporting crashes and mistakenly thinking they are caused by KMEM, because they applied a setting which is known to be unstable (especially the PoolSize = 0)

Basically the hitch I am getting is almost not noticeable but it still is and it happens from about 3 miles out for the south runways up thru touch down (which seems to be reported by everyone across the board).

I'm afraid that if it's "almost not noticeable", that's the best you can do. The only thing it might be worth trying, is to play with the AffinityMask settings, as explained in earlier posts.

garymcginnis

« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2016, 06:20:35 pm »
Well just an FYI it also removed my SWAPWAITTIMEOUT setting and something else. I don't recall exactly. I had to go line by line with the last known good .cfg I had to replace the items. The bufferpool tweak is something I won't touch with a 10 foot pole but to honest, I flew a round trip without it (KMEM-KIAD) and it was not smooth at all compared to previous settings. So if it works for some that is great but I find it screwy that you forced it to be removed for just a single airport instead of giving us the choice or finding a better solution.

All I am trying to say is outside the AF=14 (which I guess I can try), there is something causing these pauses and it is, if nothing else, slightly discouraging that FSDT is just going to say "its ok" especially if KMEM is going to be the start of a new direction at FSDT. Is the new KORD or the next FSDT announcement going to have this same stutter? Just makes you go hum  ???
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 06:24:50 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2016, 06:41:44 pm »
Well just an FYI it also removed my SWAPWAITTIMEOUT setting and something else

No, it hasn't.

As I've said, the installer removes ONLY the [BufferPools] section. The SWAPWAITTIMEOUT is NOT touched by the installer or the Addon Manager.

The Addon Manager is *able* to change the setting, but it won't do it automatically. It will only do it under YOUR command, when you press the "Save to FSX" button. If you don't press that button, the FSX.CFG is not changed.

The bufferpool tweak is something I won't touch with a 10 foot pole but to honest

Exactly. It doesn't exists by default, which is why the installer correctly removes it, because it has been proven to be dangerous.

I flew a round trip without it (KMEM-KIAD) and it was not smooth at all compared to previous settings.

It's possible that, depending on your combination of video drivers and settings, the bufferpools might not crash your sim, and even make it smoother, but since we proved it WAS causing crashes for lots of users, and it's also very well known it could be dangerous, since by default that tweak doesn't exist, we simply cannot afford to leave it enabled.

All I am trying to say is outside the AF=14 (which I guess I can try), there is something causing these pauses and it is, if nothing else, slightly discouraging that FSDT is just going to say "its ok" especially if KMEM is going to be the start of a new direction at FSDT. Is the new KORD or the next FSDT announcement going to have this same stutter? Just makes you go hum  ???

You seem to believe your computer has "infinite" power. It doesn't. KMEM is several times more complex than anything anybody ever did in flight sim. If someone else would tried to do it just the same, it won't EVER fit in memory. In order to have it fit in memory something that will never do, normally, we must create and destroy objects, and there is already A LOT of code that PREVENTS stuttering, but there's a limit to what we can do with it, objects must be created and destroyed, eventually.

Once both sims will be 64 bit, we might do memory-management less aggressively, so the same sceneries with probably work much smoother by then.

It's the clear case of wanting to eat your cake and have it too: if you want a smoother scenery, you have to allocate *more* memory. If you want to prevent OOMs, you have to *save* memory, which means destroying unused objects as soon as possible, and this will create some minor stuttering.

I'm assuming it's minor, according to your own "almost not noticeable" wording, which seems do indicate we reached our goal, of displaying a scenery more dense than anything else out there, and save you from OOMs at the same time.

And just to be more clear: when I said "a scenery more dense than anything else out there", you should take the scenery area into account. KMEM is mostly made of huge empty aprons, and if we used an object density comparable to any other scenery out there, it would looked like a ghost town.

garymcginnis

« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2016, 08:18:02 pm »
I disagree but that won't get me anywhere in this discussion. There is some noticeable stutters, that you can set your watch to but if you are going to insist "its fine" then there isn't really any purpose for me to continue in this discussion. You say they are OK then so-be-it. I'll go back to being a lurker.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 08:27:48 pm by garymcginnis »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2016, 08:58:21 pm »
There is some noticeable stutters

I based my comment on YOUR OWN words, that the stuttering was "almost not noticeable". And I find this entirely within our design parameters and goals.

If with "almost not noticeable", you really meant "almost not noticeable, yet unacceptable to ME", that's a bit different. You are obviously entitled to your opinion: I just explained why we'll always put reliability ahead of everything else.

Michael Moe

« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2016, 09:53:10 pm »
I am normally quite impressive and positiv with your achievements. KMEM is no less but an airfield suffering stutter micro pauses on approach and during takeoff is really taking the greatness to not deserved meanings.

I have testet with HT ON=85. and best results are with 3 prerendered fps.

Should i test with HT off and AM=14?

P3DV3.3.5

Thanks Michael Moe

« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 09:55:21 pm by Michael Moe »