Author Topic: FSDT Airports  (Read 5489 times)

mpochylko

FSDT Airports
« on: February 10, 2016, 09:42:21 pm »
Are 6-9 FPS good? at most FSDT airports?

I noticed the 2d panel gives me an increase of 5fps, 3d is bad.

What am I doing wrong and can someone work with me to increase performance?

Intel I7 860 2.8ghz
8 core processor
gtx 970 gpu
8gb mem
win 7 64 bit

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSDT Airports
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 07:15:30 pm »
Are 6-9 FPS good? at most FSDT airports? I noticed the 2d panel gives me an increase of 5fps, 3d is bad.

Nobody ever reported fps so low. There's something seriously wrong in your FSX installation and/or settings. Most likely, you have problems with your video driver. Usually, the 2d panel should be the slowest, which confirms you have video drivers issues.

Try to reset your video driver to all default settings. And reset your FSX settings to default too, by removing the %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG file.

Also, be sure you do not run FSX in a "Compatibility" mode (like Windows XP mode under Windows 7/8/10), because this will force the video drivers to go into a reduced performance mode.

Lude2Envy

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 05:43:08 am »

Intel I7 860 2.8ghz
8 core processor
gtx 970 gpu
8gb mem
win 7 64 bit

I would try to overclock your CPU higher or upgrade to an Ivy Bridge or higher. Any K model Intel CPU that can be overclocked is best.
Ian

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz
16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4
ASUS Z170-Deluxe
Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
Samsung 950 Pro SSD x2, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

bradl

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 07:41:29 pm »

Intel I7 860 2.8ghz
8 core processor
gtx 970 gpu
8gb mem
win 7 64 bit

I would try to overclock your CPU higher or upgrade to an Ivy Bridge or higher. Any K model Intel CPU that can be overclocked is best.

This definitely does not seem like a CPU issue. I'm running multiple FSDT airports on FS9 and P3D on a Sandy Bridge CPU (Core i5-3570K, 16GB memory, Radeon R9 290 GPU, also running Windows 7 64bit), and I'm getting well over 30FPS in P3D (and near 100 in FS9). CPU shouldn't be the problem, as mine is well underpowered than the Core i7 the OP is using. Something else is the problem here.

How many FSDT airports are being used? any other scenery near or around the airport? Could only 1 FSDT airport be activated and see if the same problem exists? More troubleshooting needs to be done here.

BL.

Lude2Envy

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 11:39:11 pm »

Intel I7 860 2.8ghz
8 core processor
gtx 970 gpu
8gb mem
win 7 64 bit

This definitely does not seem like a CPU issue. I'm running multiple FSDT airports on FS9 and P3D on a Sandy Bridge CPU (Core i5-3570K, 16GB memory, Radeon R9 290 GPU, also running Windows 7 64bit), and I'm getting well over 30FPS in P3D (and near 100 in FS9). CPU shouldn't be the problem, as mine is well underpowered than the Core i7 the OP is using. Something else is the problem here.

How many FSDT airports are being used? any other scenery near or around the airport? Could only 1 FSDT airport be activated and see if the same problem exists? More troubleshooting needs to be done here.

BL.

The 3570K is an Ivy Bridge - it's 2 generations ahead of his and as far as FSX/P3D go, they don't use Hyperthreading - the only difference between the i5 and the i7. I have the 3570K running in one of my systems at 4.5Ghz and it's a solid processor. If he's running his 860 at stock speed (2.8Ghz), then a bump in clock speed would do him wonders.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 11:40:43 pm by Lude2Envy »
Ian

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz
16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4
ASUS Z170-Deluxe
Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
Samsung 950 Pro SSD x2, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

mpochylko

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 04:08:36 am »
Awesome guys, I figured the CPU is lacking however after I did some research and tweaking, used the nVidia inspector and the DX10 fixer I have increased the FPS to 19-22 at all the FSDT airports. They look great, and run smoothly, I turned my AI traffic down to 7% from 20% which still populates everything and looks good at the same time. This issue I have is not being able to overclock, any processor model that doesn't end in "K" cannot be overclocked. I'm stuck with the 2.8ghz unless I get a new processor, then I fear the motherboard will be too old to support the new processor, and it compounds from there. The GTX970 that I recently installed has made a world of difference so far, but I would love to upgrade the cpu still.

The 2D still gives me a huge increase in frames vs. the 3D. from 19-22 on the 3d to like 50 -100 on the 2d.

I bought 5 airports in a bundle a few weeks ago, I wanted KJFK, then noticed the savings the more I bought and blew through $250 bucks in one sitting. They are all activated and installed correctly.
KLAX
KJFK
KLAS
KORD
KDFW

As I fly to one of the airports the frames are great (27-30), then as the scenery loads it drops 10 fps or so. It's not a huge deal now that its better than 5-6fps, just want to make sure I'm getting the most from the system and the scenery. Also I should have mentioned too I just moved to FSX:SE. I feel like the fsx.cfg file is good, and the installs are fine. the Driver for the GPU is up to date so who knows.

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 02:43:52 pm »
You should be able to get a decent processor and motherboard for about what you paid for the graphics card.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

mpochylko

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 06:33:23 pm »
Ive been looking around. Not sure what motherboard to go with.

bradl

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 07:54:26 pm »
Ive been looking around. Not sure what motherboard to go with.

I went a little bit interesting, but gives a lot of power. I went with a mITX build. I figured that at the way I'm going now, I really don't need a huge tower for all of the things I do on a PC (mainly flightsimming) and it was too much of a cost to overpower it, when the only tweaks I'd need to do would be a CPU, memory, or HDD/SSD upgrade.

With that said, that didn't mean that the case had to be some small box to match the size of the motherboard. So with that, here's what I did:

• Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI mITX motherboard. This is an unlocked board, and easy to overclock. But stock settings are just as beefy.
  • Intel Core i5-3570K CPU. Like the motherboard, the CPU is unlocked, and can be overclocked as well.
  • 16GB DDR3 memory. Mine are by Corsair, but already had them. Suit to pleasure.
  • AMD Radeon R9 290 GPU. Again, already have this.
  • Bitfenix Prodigy mITX case. This doesn't look like a mITX case, but it is. Fits everything wonderfully, plus can fit up to 9 2.5" drives.

Basically, I followed similar to these two builds:

http://gizmodo.com/5955172/how-to-build-a-small-gaming-pc
http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-builds/74854-bittermelons-chip-build-ga-z77n-wifi-i5-3570k-hd-6870-a.html

Plus if done right, this could be turned into a Hackintosh. But since I already converted everything I do except FS to Macs, I'm good there.

However, this was a build from two years ago, so there is a new revision for the board:

Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI

This could fit a Core i5-4670K (if you want to go with an unlocked CPU; they have a supported CPU list on that product's page). Other than that, everything else will fit. There are mATX and ATX variants of this as well, but it all depends on how big you want your PC to be.

BL.