Author Topic: Trouble with gate assignments  (Read 10866 times)

Captain Fred

Trouble with gate assignments
« on: January 03, 2016, 06:15:56 pm »
The listing of gate assignments is rather confusing. The listing just states medium or large. Is large for heavy aircraft?
I am flying an Airbus A330-300 and the gate assignment I chose was for a "large" aircraft. The gate was totally wrong.
The Airbus did not fit. The gate was more for an Airbus A321 or Boeing 737. etc The gate is A223. How can I determine what gate
is correct for the aircraft I am flying?
Once again, medium and large descriptors are confusing and not accurate. Please advise. :-[

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
Re: Trouble with gate assignments
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 08:26:45 pm »
 Similar to planning your flight and having the correct ILS and navaid frequencies ahead of time is having an idea on where you will be parking when you arrive. Or you can wing it using the aerodrome chart when you land or GSX even will advise you what spots are available for the type that you are currently in and if they are occupied etc.

Captain Fred

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 06:58:16 pm »
It's not parking that's the issue, it's starting out at the stand or gate. The listing is way too confusing and not accurate. For such a great airport and scenery
the gate selection is a let down. :-[

mosteen

Trouble with gate assignments
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 12:34:42 am »
I'm using Navigraph groundcharts and/or rw info to determine my best std. Then fire up my networked Aivlasoft EFB to see if std is avail., and spawn.

Rarely missed GSX with that procedure, unless there's a developer that took a shortcut, they sadly do sometimes. If so, I jimmy it in 2 secs wlth the GSX custom.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 01:28:54 am »
The listing is way too confusing and not accurate. For such a great airport and scenery the gate selection is a let down

This has been discussed so many times on the forum.

The parkings have been all set to GA not because of an "oversight". They have been obviously INTENTIONALLY made like that, to get rid of the default ground vehicles, which will both slow down fps and will interfere with objects and ground details from the scenery. This is a common method used by many other developers.

HOWEVER, since GSX is free to use at JFK, so we can safely assume you can use it. And with GSX, you can select a parking from the GSX parking list. The GSX parking list is way better than anything that could be done with the very limited default FSX naming conventions, which IS "confusing".

GSX, instead, properly name terminals with their real world name, and group parkings by name, to make it easier to select them. And it tells you if the parking is free, if it has a jetway, and if it can fit your plane, by checking the proper parameter, which is the actual size, not the "confusing" default convention of Small/Medium/Heavy.

And, the GSX parking selection menu can handle parking names that are impossible to do with the FSX naming convention, for example something like "Terminal 4 Parking 35A" is NOT possible with the FSX menu, but it can be done in the GSX one.

Coupled with the "Just warp me there" option, the GSX parking menu can REPLACE the default "Go To Airport" function so, there's no reason to still using it, especially if you are starting a flight from a gate.

Just place the airplane on the default runway with the FSX "Go To Airport" menu, then use the GSX menu to select the parking using the much better GSX selection, and then select "Just Warp Me There" option, which will JUST place the airplane, without doing anything else with GSX.

Captain Fred

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 06:14:30 pm »
I am sorry that it has been discussed so many times but it is an issue and does detract from your scenery.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 10:38:37 pm »
I am sorry that it has been discussed so many times but it is an issue

What "issue" ? I clearly explained that, with GSX, you can simply IGNORE the default "Go To Airport" menu, which has MANY limitations in parking names, and get a BETTER method to position the plane. Are you sure you understood how it works ?

and does detract from your scenery.

No, it doesn't, because with GSX you have a far better positioning method and a far more realistic parking naming, with terminals having their real world names and better grouped with more information.

You know what would "detract from the scenery", instead ?

If we used the default FSX gate assignments so, we would have wrong names ( as I've said, naming a parking like "Terminal 4 Parking 35B" is NOT POSSIBLE with FSX, so other developers that don't have GSX are forced to do strange naming conventions, but we have that in GSX..) and if we had to fight with default ground vehicles (and the slow fps that comes with them) mixed with pieces of the scenery, which would be difficult to control, because they are placed depending on the parking radius, which ALSO affects AI assignment so THAT would be a BIG MESS that would DETRACT from the scenery!!