Author Topic: DRZEWIECKI DESIGN and JFK FSDT  (Read 6580 times)

nordicman

DRZEWIECKI DESIGN and JFK FSDT
« on: November 09, 2015, 06:14:51 pm »
Good day, not sure if a lot of people are having this problem but i recently purchased the D.D New York Scenery V.2 and every time i come close to landing at JFK i get OOM messages and FSX shuts down completely. I have reduced the settings to near poor man levels and still cant get a flight into JFK. Any advice or fixes. I am running a 980M/32 GB RAM so my system is well versed for this. Thanks.

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
Re: DRZEWIECKI DESIGN and JFK FSDT
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 07:52:42 pm »
FSX is a 32 bit program, 28GB of your RAM is not being used.  Reducing your settings won't help, you need to reduce resources being used in the background.  Easiest way to do that is open MSCONFIG, and on the services tab, click the box for "Hide all Microsoft services", click disable all, and click apply.  Then on the startup tab, click disable all, click apply, then click restart.  Just reverse the procedure when you finish flying.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 10:13:01 am »
i recently purchased the D.D New York Scenery V.2 and every time i come close to landing at JFK i get OOM messages and FSX shuts down completely. I have reduced the settings to near poor man levels and still cant get a flight into JFK.

Keeping in mind the problem doesn't obviously have anything to do with FSDT JFK, since you say it happened only after purchasing the D.D. design N.Y. scenery, the two most effective memory savings you can do in FSX are:

- Use DirectX 10

- Use the FSX Steam Edition, which results in less memory used overall.

- Don't use memory-hungry airplanes.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 10:21:54 am »
you need to reduce resources being used in the background.  Easiest way to do that is open MSCONFIG, and on the services tab, click the box for "Hide all Microsoft services", click disable all, and click apply.

This won't change anything with FSX when *memory* is concerned. It might help a bit with fps (or stutters) if there's a background program which is taking away processing time, but not memory, ESPECIALLY considering the users has 32GB of RAM, so I assume he uses a 64 bit OS.

The issue with FSX memory limitation is the absolute maximum of 4GB of addressable space for each single .EXE, which cannot be improved by closing *other* executables, because each one has its own *separate* address space, which can go up to 4GB, without any adverse effect on FSX usable memory.

The only memory that can be "saved" in FSX, is the one used by:

- Airplane models, gauges and textures. With some popular memory-hungry airplanes this is by far the most memory consuming item.

- Scenery. This can change a lot depending on the area and the addons installed there, and having a very detailed Manhattan scenery with all buildings AND a very large airport fairly close with TWO other big airports (LGA and EWR) nearby, makes it for a very critical zone.

- Under DX9, video memory allocated by FSX will be copied into system RAM, reducing the memory available to FSX, that's why it's best to use DX10 when short on memory.

Michael Moe

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 09:10:32 pm »
On my system its says that the couatl is being reset all the time by an unknown , need to be restart all the time or download latest addon manager.

There is some kind of conflict. Do you know what to do ?

Michael Moe

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 09:27:34 am »
On my system its says that the couatl is being reset all the time by an unknown , need to be restart all the time or download latest addon manager.

Why you posted here, which is a thread about another how a scenery taking a lot of RAM ??

The message you are describing doesn't say JUST that. It will also tell ask you to open your log file to see the error details. If you reply YES to the request to open the error log, it will open Notepad with the text of the error. Please post it here.

If you missed it, you can check it in the %APPDATA%\Virtuali\Couatl.ERR file or, if logging is enabled, you check the %APPDATA%\Virtuali\Couatl.LOG

DO NOT reply in this thread. Open a new thread, with the proper subject (that might be used by other users with the same problem to FIND IT in the future), and post your error logs there.