Author Topic: Follow me vehicle problems  (Read 2817 times)

Charles246

Follow me vehicle problems
« on: October 30, 2015, 08:08:38 pm »
I have seen many recent posts regarding the FollowMe vehicle's erratic behavior. I suppose most of these can be blamed on the airport's AFCAD, whether default or not but what I do know is that I used to rely on the FollowMe vehicle an awful lot in the past and it was mostly accurate and logical. I have had GSX for quite some time now and loved it.... and still do. I have seen recent posts where the poster meticulously submitted detailed pictures and explanations as well as the required details regarding speed, acceleration, position etc of their aircraft and the followme vehicle but no satisfying reply.

Like other previous posters have stated, I personally am not doing anything different that I used to do several months ago when the Followme vehicle was not suffering from dementia. Now, I may be successful once or twice in getting to my parking spot with the help of the followme vehicle after a dozen or so landings(different airports). More often than not, the car rushes at me (I am standing still) runs behind me and sits there ; when I then get behind IT, it would go in the same direction as I was headed in the first place; at other times, regardless of my acceleration speed, it would just run away; or it would give me a grand tour of the airport and would end up nowhere the designated parking spot, prompting me to warp instead. At times, even at Fsdreamteam Vancouver, I experience other problems like it failing to show up or running away far from my designated parking spot.

I realize that it must be incredible hard to write a code where the behavior of this vehicle is always rational and logic; I also admit that a lot of AFCAD files are at fault but the fact is that this behaviour just wasn't not there in the earlier versions.

Today I got this message but I blame it on a non-default scenery of CYBL. I would be interested to know however what it says.
May I add that I hardly ever get these Couatl errors.  ALSO, I would like to add that GSX is a wonderful product, regardless of my misfortunes with the Followme vehicle. I still enjoy all its other features.
couatl v3.0 (build 3156)
panic log started on Fri Oct 30 11:18:41 2015

problem raised by addon <unknown>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "couatl\GSX\parkingServices\followMe.py", line 542, in run
  File "couatl\common\simObjectMoverIK.py", line 347, in run
  File "couatl\common\simObjectMoverIK.py", line 202, in smoothPath
  File "couatl\common\line.py", line 9, in __init__
ZeroDivisionError: float division by zero

I know I spoke in generalities but I was just expressing a feeling rather than making an objective report.
By the way, does the fact that I am using FSX-SE and / or Windows 10 make a difference on the code for the Followme vehicle because it seems to me that these problems (real or perceived) happened when I changed over to both, a few months ago.

Thanks for listening.

Charles
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 11:12:36 pm by Charles246 »

bobsk8

Re: Follow me vehicle just not reliable any more
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 08:04:36 pm »
I have seen many recent posts regarding the FollowMe vehicle's erratic behavior. I suppose most of these can be blamed on the airport's AFCAD, whether default or not but what I do know is that I used to rely on the FollowMe vehicle an awful lot in the past and it was mostly accurate and logical. I have had GSX for quite some time now and loved it.... and still do. I have seen recent posts where the poster meticulously submitted detailed pictures and explanations as well as the required details regarding speed, acceleration, position etc of their aircraft and the followme vehicle but no satisfying reply.

Like other previous posters have stated, I personally am not doing anything different that I used to do several months ago when the Followme vehicle was not suffering from dementia. Now, I may be successful once or twice in getting to my parking spot with the help of the followme vehicle after a dozen or so landings(different airports). More often than not, the car rushes at me (I am standing still) runs behind me and sits there ; when I then get behind IT, it would go in the same direction as I was headed in the first place; at other times, regardless of my acceleration speed, it would just run away; or it would give me a grand tour of the airport and would end up nowhere the designated parking spot, prompting me to warp instead. At times, even at Fsdreamteam Vancouver, I experience other problems like it failing to show up or running away far from my designated parking spot.

I realize that it must be incredible hard to write a code where the behavior of this vehicle is always rational and logic; I also admit that a lot of AFCAD files are at fault but the fact is that this behaviour just wasn't not there in the earlier versions.

Today I got this message but I blame it on a non-default scenery of CYBL. I would be interested to know however what it says.
May I add that I hardly ever get these Couatl errors.  ALSO, I would like to add that GSX is a wonderful product, regardless of my misfortunes with the Followme vehicle. I still enjoy all its other features.
couatl v3.0 (build 3156)

problem raised by addon <unknown>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "couatl\GSX\parkingServices\followMe.py", line 542, in run
  File "couatl\common\simObjectMoverIK.py", line 347, in run
  File "couatl\common\simObjectMoverIK.py", line 202, in smoothPath
  File "couatl\common\line.py", line 9, in __init__
ZeroDivisionError: float division by zero

I know I spoke in generalities but I was just expressing a feeling rather than making an objective report.
By the way, does the fact that I am using FSX-SE and / or Windows 10 make a difference on the code for the Followme vehicle because it seems to me that these problems (real or perceived) happened when I changed over to both, a few months ago.

Thanks for listening.

Charles

Frankly I wish I could revert back to the way it used to work before the update, which was reliable and easy to follow. Now it requires as much concentration as a Cat 3 ILS landing in a 18 knot gusty crosswind. As I posted on another thread, I have found that when starting off after the car arrives, if you can start at about 1mph ( not exaggerating) until the car begins to slowly move, and if it slows, you immediately slow back to 1-2 mph, until it starts again, 99% of the time it will lead you to the ramp with no problem. Was it easier and better to use before this latest update, yes it was, but it is what it is now.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 10:36:39 pm by bobsk8 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Follow me vehicle just not reliable any more
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 08:50:05 pm »
I have seen many recent posts regarding the FollowMe vehicle's erratic behavior.

The thread ended up with this:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,12587.msg96030.html#msg96030

Update on the follow me car issue. Since I have been using my new method, I have zero problems with the follow me car.

Like other previous posters have stated, I personally am not doing anything different that I used to do several months ago when the Followme vehicle was not suffering from dementia

Like other posters, you should realize that you SHOULD do something different, and understand that, because the Follow Me vehicle is now MORE reliable and realistic than it ever was, you must follow it more carefully.

More often than not, the car rushes at me (I am standing still) runs behind me and sits there

This clearly indicates you were too close to it, so it went around you. In previous version, it simply didn't care of this so yes, it was "easier" to follow, but less realistic.

or it would give me a grand tour of the airport and would end up nowhere the designated parking spot, prompting me to warp instead. At times, even at Fsdreamteam Vancouver, I experience other problems like it failing to show up or running away far from my designated parking spot.

This is no way to give a report. ESPECIALLY on an FSDT scenery, you must include ALL the following details:

- The scenery used

- Your approximate position when you asked for the follow me

- Your chosen destination

- Your approximate position when the "problem" happened, with a clear description of the problem.

Only this way we can try to REPRODUCE your situation, and assess if there's really a problem with the code, or you simply followed it in the wrong ( too closely, usually ) way.

Yes, most AFCADs out there are full of faults, but that's why we particularly interested getting detailed reproduction cases on FSDT sceneries, or DEFAULT sceneries ( using DEFAULT AFCADs, not those coming with AI packages ).

The previous version had so many bugs we fixed in this version, that's a wonder it even worked. But yes, it was far more tolerant to user's mistakes either...

couatl v3.0 (build 3156)

This shows you are not using the latest version of the code, since you are like 30 versions behind (latest Couatl.exe is 3187) so, try again with the latest version and, if it happens again, ALWAYS include ALL the information we need to try to replicate the error.