Author Topic: V3 Readiness and other stuff  (Read 14314 times)

bilookhan

Re: V3 Readiness and other stuff
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2015, 09:13:44 pm »
Hi Virtuali,

I am bit confused. I own a lot of FSDT FSX products like KJFK, KDFW, KLAX, KIAH and GSX.
Can I safely move these products to P3D v3 folders (simply copying and pasting) without breaking anything or should I wait for future installers ?
Would there be any additional price cost attached to using the future installers ?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2015, 11:11:10 pm »
Can I safely move these products to P3D v3 folders (simply copying and pasting) without breaking anything or should I wait for future installers ?

You CANNOT "move" anything!! You must run the proper installers that, as I've said in this same post some messages before:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,12555.msg95176.html#msg95176

The installers recognize V3 since several months by now

So yes, you need updated installers, and they are all already available now. Just download them and install into P3D V3 when asked. They are all totally free, of course...

Bobby

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2015, 05:49:37 am »
Hi Virtuali,

I am bit confused. I own a lot of FSDT FSX products like KJFK, KDFW, KLAX, KIAH and GSX.
Would there be any additional price cost attached to using the future installers ?

I just "ran" the new installers directly from this site and all the airports loaded fine. In fact, I didn't even have to re-enter my product keys.....the airports were active. Works great in P3D V3.
Thank you Umberto.

Bobby

streichholz

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2015, 11:41:13 am »
Umberto, you are the one knowing this.

There is a "rumor" around saying we shouldn't install sceneries (airports and stuff) into the root folder of Prepar3D v3 because of the updates LM offers in the future.

Is this true, or can we continue install sceneries and stuff like we did in v2.5?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2015, 02:02:44 pm »
There is a "rumor" around saying we shouldn't install sceneries (airports and stuff) into the root folder of Prepar3D v3 because of the updates LM offers in the future.

During the Beta period, I always updated P3D using the new system of updating just the client, instead of reinstalling everything ( which means just 100MB to download instead of 10GB ), and there weren't any problems with any of our products.

Yes, the general principle of developer not having to change "core" files, sounds reasonable, except it cannot always be applied in real world. What about, for example, if a core P3D file file MUST be changed, otherwise the addon product would have issues ?

Let's the take default Pushback truck, that we must remove when installing GSX (otherwise there will be two trucks, possibly on top of each other, wasting VAS and fps...). Since there's no way to disable *only* that vehicle, without disabling the whole Scenery\Global\Scenery in the scenery.cfg and thus killing most of the default airport objects, we don't have any other choice than patching the .BGL to remove *just* the default pushback truck, leaving all the rest intact.

This was just the first example that came to my mind, but I'm sure there are plenty, considering how many 3rd party addons are out there.

Even LM has admitted that some addons (such as OrbX) MUST be installed in the root folder, otherwise they won't work, but I'm sure they are not the only ones.

Yes, I agree the new structure has some merit, but it's just a suggestion, because some changes might be reverted by LM updates but, at least as far our products are concerned, the worse you'll have to do is that you will have to relaunch our installers, in case this will ever happen.

Which, at least in our case, will not have any impact on the product activation, since we never stored such information in the root of the sim, and not even as files, but they are safe in the registry in their own section, separated from the section used by the sim itself, allowing to uninstall/reinstall our products (and even the host sim) an unlimited number of times, without worrying about activation.

Is this true, or can we continue install sceneries and stuff like we did in v2.5?

I cannot comment on any scenery or product out there, but you can surely continue to install FSDT products using their current installers, which works in P3D V3, and trust the installers and the uninstallers will do their job correctly.

detheridge02

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2015, 02:36:12 pm »
Is GSX supported yet in v3? Only I just re-downloaded the latest installer from the website and although the button says FSX / P3D the only installer is the FSX one which only installs to FSX/FSX:SE.

Many thanks and keep up the good work

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2015, 03:24:33 pm »
Is GSX supported yet in v3?

Reading this thread would have provided you with the answer.

the only installer is the FSX one which only installs to FSX/FSX:SE.

Have you TRIED the installer, or you assume it will "only installs into FSX", just because it's CALLED gsx_fsx_setup.exe ? It has always been called like that since the first P3D v1.x was released, years ago.

nbl5370g

• Noble Air Virtual Airline
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2015, 01:59:36 pm »
Yes, we still need a 64 bit version.  May be better on VAS, but still has a 4 gig limit.  I respect Rob A., but I'm skeptical of his 800mb-1gb assessment.

Am wondering why you say need a 64 bit version as they have not gone to 64 and now that V3 is out and is Vas friendly would not expect to see it for sometime.
Geoff
NBL5370
Hub Captain
Fleet Manager
Noble Air Virtual

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2015, 10:38:31 pm »
Well, there's the danger that, should a 64 bit version would eventually come out in the future, developers won't restrain themselves anymore, and they might be feel entitled to waste GB of data with no regard of optimization whatsoever "because it's 64 bit".

The end result will be the sim won't crash for exhausting VAS anymore, but it will be slow as hell...I'm playing Galactic Civilizations 3 right now, which is ONLY 64 bit, and sure it doesn't crash, but sometimes (when the game has progressed for a while and you have hundreds of planets active) you must wait one minute or more for your next turn.  But it never crashes...

Raphael

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2015, 06:26:44 am »
Hello FSDT Team,

Just to say thanks for quick update for P3D.  Downloading all sceneries again for my V3.   Its a shame that many of the most important developers still delay their updates, but glad to see you are among the little risponsible to go ahead for your clients...  ;)

A little comment: May be its a good idea to put kind of sticky thread above for quick refference regarding the V3...

8)