Author Topic: No Sounds at all for GSX  (Read 6493 times)

atrailblazer7

No Sounds at all for GSX
« on: June 09, 2015, 07:31:54 am »
I been looking for this and I found it a while back on a fix for no sounds in GSX on FSX, but the link for the fix is no longer active.

Last week, I reinstalled my Level D 767.  Up till then, I had all my sounds in GSX.  After completing a flight, I started my next and had nothing.  No warning beep to close a door, no sound from the ground controller, no sound of passengers coming on board, no sound of the food cart rolling into the aircraft during the catering service.  I do have the latest version with all updates, including my graphics and sound drivers... but like I said...it was fine till last week.  I honestly don't know if the 767 had anything to do with that.....

Am using FSX, Win 7, and the no sound happens with Level D 767, PMDG 777's, PMDG 737.

Thanks...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: No Sounds at all for GSX
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 12:37:08 pm »
Last week, I reinstalled my Level D 767.  Up till then, I had all my sounds in GSX. 

I honestly don't know if the 767 had anything to do with that.....

The first sentence seems to answer the question. However, I cannot see how the Level-D 767 could have anything to do with GSX sounds, unless for some reason, the airplane uses DirectSound, and it doesn't correctly set it up for the cooperative mode, which is needed to allow multiple programs to access the same sound context of an app.

The Level-D has a module that is loaded automatically on each FSX startup, so you might try to disable that one, and see if it makes any difference.

Open your DLL.XML file in %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX with Notepad and set this line:

<Disabled>True</Disabled>

On the line that loads LVLD.DLL

atrailblazer7

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 10:15:58 pm »
I added it to the line...it was the first one....nothing.  Even did a live update without quitting FSX, and tried it on an MD 11...nothing.  I hate to uninstall/reinstall, cause the last time I did that to get the push back tow, it totally messed up my PMDG 744 and MD 11 for FSX...and still having a time getting the 744 right
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 09:43:25 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 09:52:18 am »
I added it to the line...it was the first one....nothing.

You shouldn't add anything. You should replace the <Disabled>False</Disabled> line in the same section as the one that calls LVLD.DLL, and change the "False" into "True"

Even did a live update without quitting FSX, and tried it on an MD 11...nothing.

You mean GSX Live Update ? This cannot possibly have any effect on sounds. If it had, I would have suggested to try that.

I hate to uninstall/reinstall, cause the last time I did that to get the push back tow, it totally messed up my PMDG 744 and MD 11 for FSX...and still having a time getting the 744 right

You mean Uninstall/Reinstall GSX ? I'm sorry, but it's impossible that uninstalling/reinstalling GSX would have any effect on any of your airplanes. NO files from your airplanes are ever touched by the GSX installation.

Maybe you are referring to the XML file corruption bug caused by Active Sky Next, discussed here ?

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,11473.msg88386.html#msg88386
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,11796.msg91032.html#msg91032

If this is what happened, that's not a GSX problem, of course, it's a normal result of your choice of continuing the installation with a brand new XML file ( a backup was made, of course ), which was necessary because of the error introduced by ASN.

So yes, one thing you can try, is to uninstall/reinstall GSX, and be sure you use the CURRENT installer.

If that doesn't change anything, at least you would know it's not a GSX problem.

atrailblazer7

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 06:56:42 pm »
No luck..and even downloaded the latest version of GSX....

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 06:59:53 pm »

I'm sorry, but we cannot reproduce the problem in any way. Check all the following:

- You have selected the correct sound device in GSX

- You don't have another 3rd party application that forces itself in the foreground, so FSX goes in the background and then it lose the sound.

atrailblazer7

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 10:17:33 pm »

I'm sorry, but we cannot reproduce the problem in any way. Check all the following:

- You have selected the correct sound device in GSX

- You don't have another 3rd party application that forces itself in the foreground, so FSX goes in the background and then it lose the sound.

Like I said...I ain't no computer pro, but where do I find if the correct sound device in GSX is selected..
And to see where in FSX which sound is running

Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 10:43:28 pm »
Like I said...I ain't no computer pro, but where do I find if the correct sound device in GSX is selected..

In the Sound tab of the GSX Settings menu.

atrailblazer7

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 11:01:56 pm »
I got a message within the Diagnostics saying:
The audio subsystem seems to be working properly.

But the next line puzzles me...
The following devices have been disabled because they failed to initialize:
Generic Software on Speakers (Realtek High Def Audio)

Going to see if there is an update for the drivers for that.  But looking the volume is turned up and everything else is working fine...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 11:22:28 pm »
I got a message within the Diagnostics saying: The audio subsystem seems to be working properly.

GSX is saying ITS audio system is working. The audio system could possibly use different audio devices, for example if you have separate devices for the speakers and maybe an usb headphone, you might want to route the GSX audio to a different device.

The following devices have been disabled because they failed to initialize:
Generic Software on Speakers (Realtek High Def Audio)

But THIS audio device ( assuming this one is the one you want to use ), has failed to initialize, so GSX will not try to use it (will likely crash your PC if it tried )

GSX uses the OpenAL sound library so, it's possible your audio drivers has a problem with it. Or, possibly, another game that uses OpenAL too, might have installed a conflicting version.

When OpenAL support is concerned, sometimes, audio drivers that comes with Windows are better than the one supplied by the audio card or mainboard manufacturer, sometimes is the opposite. You just have to try.