Author Topic: -14 C and no deice option? **SOLVED**  (Read 14774 times)

Jeff869565

-14 C and no deice option? **SOLVED**
« on: December 01, 2014, 01:14:38 pm »
I'm sure I'm missing something. I have used the latest installer and just purchased GSX last week. I have the new push back options but have never seen the deice option even though the temperature has been well below 4C.  Any advice is appreciated.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 09:42:22 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: -14 C and no deice option?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 03:00:24 pm »
Nobody else has reported this before.

Either your outside temperature wasn't really below 4°C, or you were looking at some other kind of temperature instead of the the one on the surface, or your FSX for some reason is not using the weather correctly, possibly because of a 3rd party weather addon that is changing settings in the background, so even if you see a temperature in the FSX user interface, it might be a different one in the FSX internal simulation.

It's not that GSX does anything strange to check the temperature, it simply makes the official Simconnect call that retrieves the official FSX internal variable for the "ambient temperature".

Jeff869565

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 06:30:17 pm »
Hmm,,I am using Active Sky Next with the iFly 737.  I'll try running it without ASN and see what happens and report back.  Thanks.

amberfluid

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 06:34:39 am »
Hi,
I'm having the exact same problem, I've downloaded everything twice and even uninstalled Norton Internet Security and reinstalled everything but still no de-icing option. I went into FSX weather options and changed the temperature to -15 and it made no difference. My system says I'm using GSX version 1.9.0.2 and I can see the new straight pushback option but no de-ice.
Steve

amberfluid

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 06:56:15 am »
OK, I've just tried it again with no Opus weather, I started FSX and selected Whitehorse airport in Northern Canada at dawn and selected FSX weather to be "heavy snow" and my aircraft showed the OAT as -9°C but still no de-icing option available. Can I suggest you remove the temperature as a criteria and just allow us to select de-ice whenever we want it.
Regards
Steve

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 01:49:43 pm »
Can I suggest you remove the temperature as a criteria and just allow us to select de-ice whenever we want it.

I don't think is correct to do that, just because there's a 3rd party weather program that might have a bug in setting the temperature.

Let's forget about GSX for the time being: don't you find worrying that, even if the 3rd party weather program is telling you the outside temperature is below zero, this is NOT reflected in the FSX variable that holds the ambient temperature ? That would have an effect on all the things FSX is simulating which might be related to temperature, like engine performances, ice accumulation, etc.

So, rather than worrying about always having deicers, I would try to understand why, if the program is telling your your temperature is such, this doesn't seem to be really happening in FSX.

Just as a test, what happens if you go into the FSX weather, and set the temperature manually ?

amberfluid

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 03:02:41 pm »
You obviously didn't read or understand my previous post. After the first time when I was using the 3rd party weather program (Opus) I did another flight without using Opus and chose a very cold place (northern Canada) to start the flight and the FSX temperature was -9°C and I did not get an option in the menu for the de-ice vehicles. I only started FSX and no other program.
Regards
Steve   

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 03:09:44 pm »
You obviously didn't read or understand my previous post. After the first time when I was using the 3rd party weather program (Opus) I did another flight without using Opus and chose a very cold place (northern Canada) to start the flight and the FSX temperature was -9°C and I did not get an option in the menu for the de-ice vehicles. I only started FSX and no other program.

I obviously BOTH read AND understood your message but, since this doesn't happen here, and the only two users that reported it so far ALL used some 3rd party weather program, the only possible explanation is that program is STILL affecting the ambient temperature somehow, even if they appear not to doing anything.

Question: with "without Opus", you mean you disabled its module entirely ? As I've said, what happens if you go into the FSX weather, and set/check the temperature manually ?

Do you have multiple temperature layers ? GSX will only look the "ambient temperature", which is affected by the surface temperature layer.

amberfluid

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 03:25:44 pm »
Opus weather engine only works if you actually start the program after you start FSX. It can't possibly effect the FSX weather if the program isn't running. I joined this discussion because you made the statement that nobody else had reported this problem so I just wanted you to know that I was also having the same problem as the person who stated this thread. If you want to get defensive and just automatically blame 3rd party programs then so be it. That's not going to get us very far is it. I didn't see anywhere before I bought GSX where it says this only works with bare FSX and does not work with any 3rd party addons. Most serious simmers have spent a fortune on 3rd party addons just like YOURS and don't expect to be fobbed off with lame excuses when trying to get support.
Steve

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 04:03:18 pm »
Opus weather engine only works if you actually start the program after you start FSX. It can't possibly effect the FSX weather if the program isn't running.

So it doesn't come with any modules ? That's good to know, but it's possible using it has changed something the FSX setting or your start-up flight ?

I joined this discussion because you made the statement that nobody else had reported this problem so I just wanted you to know that I was also having the same problem as the person who stated this thread.

Nobody else reported this problem when I replied it, now there are two of them, but the other poster said he *was* using Active Sky, but never posted back after he said he would try without it.

If you want to get defensive and just automatically blame 3rd party programs then so be it.

That's not the case, and you got it entirely wrong. I'll rephrase the question in a different way:

Let's EXCLUDE BOTH GSX AND OPUS, don't you find odd that, you said you had the temperature a -14°C, but the FSX internal variable that holds the ambient temperature doesn't agree with that ?

Are you sure you were looking at right temperature ? Which was the temperature indication you relied on to save it was -14°C ? The default FSX weather menu ? An instrument on your airplane ? Something else ?

That's not going to get us very far is it.

Exactly, especially since you still haven't replied to the question which I already asked twice, let's try the 3rd time:

"what happens if you go into the FSX weather, and set/check the temperature manually ?"

And the question I've asked once in my previous reply:

"Do you have multiple temperature layers ? GSX will only look the "ambient temperature", which is affected by the surface temperature layer"

I didn't see anywhere before I bought GSX where it says this only works with bare FSX and does not work with any 3rd party addons

First, we are not required anywhere to say it will work with ANYTHING other than the system requirements, which are just FSX + SP2, and that's it. The only 3rd party addons we officially advertise being compatible with, are the supported 3rd party airplanes.

To check if/how/how well it works with other 3rd party addons, WE HAVE A TRIAL VERSION. The whole point of having a Trial version, is to allow you to check how it works with your combination of 3rd party addons.

That's to clarify the point about how we should supposedly guarantee or even tell you that GSX will work with any foreseeable 3rd party addon, and why it's wrong to expect that, especially considering there's a Trial, and the existence of a Trial is clearly indicated everywhere on our site.

Do all your other 3rd party add-ons provide a Trial version, so you can check they work with GSX before you purchase them ?

Most serious simmers have spent a fortune on 3rd party addons just like YOURS and don't expect to be fobbed off with lame excuses when trying to get support.

You ARE getting support, but until now, you are failed to provide all the informations I've asked, to start troubleshooting your issue.

And, are you even SURE the problem has something to do with the temperature ? THAT'S another reason why I asked to check it in the FSX weather menu.

Maybe you don't see deicers for another reason, for example if you are trying to use an unsupported airplane and haven't created a configuration for it with deicer points.

Or you don't see them because you haven't installed the latest version.

Or you don't see them because you are trying to use them on a too small airplane (airplanes with wingspan less than 22 meters are not supported)

amberfluid

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 04:37:11 pm »
OK,

I'm looking at the surface temperature layer in the FSX weather options which agrees with the OAT showing on the panel of the aircraft.

I've tried manually lowering the OAT and it makes no difference.

I've just checked the dimension specs for the ERJ135 and it says it's wingspan is only 20.04 m so I guess that's the problem but when I went into the GSX aircraft configuration it shows the two deicer points which I correctly configured so I assumed it should work. Why would you bother to show deicer points on an aircraft which is too small?

Sorry to have wasted your time and mine, off to bed now it's nearly midnight here.

Regards
Steve

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 06:12:34 pm »
I've just checked the dimension specs for the ERJ135 and it says it's wingspan is only 20.04 m so I guess that's the problem

That's surely the problem. However, you should have seen a warning from GSX that deicers are not available for your aircraft, which would immediately cleared up the issue wasn't related to the temperature in the first place.

Maybe you turned the "Verbosity" slider all the way down ? That way, you won't see warnings from GSX.

but when I went into the GSX aircraft configuration it shows the two deicer points which I correctly configured so I assumed it should work. Why would you bother to show deicer points on an aircraft which is too small?

That limitation is a constraint of the specific deicer vehicle which has been supplied with GSX now, that might not be able to maneuver correctly  around a smaller plane, but we might add smaller deicing vehicles in an upgrade, so we put deicers points in the airplanes anyway.

This, and also because we need to know the precise position of the wing, that will be useful to future improvements to the refueling service to get, for example, a visible fuel pipe being placed under the wings.

Jeff869565

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2014, 02:56:58 am »
hi,,,I've gone back and started JUST fsx, no third party weather software.  I've manualy set the temperature to -4f in the FSX weather module. I still do not have the option.  The aircraft model I'm using is the iFly 737-600. Thank you
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 02:59:24 am by Jeff869565 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2014, 10:34:20 am »
hi,,,I've gone back and started JUST fsx, no third party weather software.  I've manualy set the temperature to -4f in the FSX weather module. I still do not have the option.  

Have you read this thread ? A problem with the temperature or 3rd party weather program is NOT the only reason why you might not see the deicing option, there might be other reasons like:

- you don't have the latest update. You need BOTH GSX and the vehicles updates, or the GSX full installer

OR

- your aircraft wingspan is smaller than 22 meters.

OR

- you customized an already-supported airplane, so your customization is taking over the one that comes with GSX, which have the deicer points indicated.

In this case, either trash your own customization (using the "Reset" button of the airplane configuration editor), so the one that comes with GSX will be used, or edit it to add the deicers points on the wing, as explained on the manual.

Jeff869565

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2014, 01:40:20 pm »
Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes I have been reading the thread. Like I said at the beginning, I'm sure I was missing something just not sure what it was,,,,hence the request for help. In the thread I've not seen the need for a "vehicle" update before.  Since I'm brand new to your software and don't know what that is I'll hunt around and figure it out.  I've not modified anything, and as stated I'm using the iFly 737 with plenty of wing.  Thanks again, dirty to have annoyed you so.  Have a great weekend.