Author Topic: Addon Manager tweaks  (Read 4891 times)

rayh

Addon Manager tweaks
« on: November 12, 2014, 10:54:38 am »
Hello,

I would like to disable the tweaks that come with Add on manager. (this is part of a troubleshooting process I am currently going through).
Some tweaks I set to zero but they are still in the FSX.CFG after restart
Some you cannot disable, but just lower to a setting of 1. I would like to disable these tweaks. Is this possible with Addon manager ?

Regards
Ray

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Addon Manager tweaks
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 06:55:32 pm »
I think you don't have a clear understanding about how tweaks works, both in FSX and the Addon Manager.

First, there are tweaks that are modified by the Addon Manager. Those settings you see there, are READ from your EXISTING FSX.CFG.  They are never written back, unless you press the "Save to FSX" button. So, those sliders are *just* an interface on your existing FSX.CFG file.

About FSX, is not that a tweak can be "disabled". There's no such thing as a disabled tweak, even if you manually remove the setting from the FSX.CFG, FSX WILL use a default internal value anyway. This value depends also by the system used, because FSX also does a very rough system profiling, so the "default" value might change depending on your system.

The Addon Manager is entirely unrelated to this but basically, if you want to have total manual control, simply don't press the "Save to FSX" button, never, and it would be exactly the same as if the Addon Manager never existed. If you remove a setting manually, you will still see it in the Addon Manager, with a value that matches what it believes the default value should be, but it won't be in effect UNTIL you press the "Save to FSX" button again, and restart FSX.

rayh

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 01:51:11 am »
Umberto, thanks for your reply.
I thought I understood fully how your Addon Manager works with FSX - so to avoid confusion I will explain my experience of the Addon Manager tweaks. Specifically SmallPartRejectRadius=1 radius (which I have tried to disable within in my FSX.CFG file) yet when I go into the Addon manager it still reflects SmallPartRejectRadius=1. If I choose EXIT without saving and check my Config file SmallPartRejectRadius=1 has been uncommented and is there in its active role (even after I had commented it out).

So from my understanding are you saying that SmallPartRejectRadius=1 is part of the FSX Default setup or have I missed a step here?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 08:24:31 am »
so to avoid confusion I will explain my experience of the Addon Manager tweaks. Specifically SmallPartRejectRadius=1 radius (which I have tried to disable within in my FSX.CFG file) yet when I go into the Addon manager it still reflects SmallPartRejectRadius=1.

Which is exactly how it's supposed to work. If you comment a line that reads SmallPartRejectRadius=1, you are not doing anything, because that's the default value FSX will use anyway, regardless of the tweak is there or not so, the Addon Manager *correctly* displays a 1, even if the setting was missing (or commented) in the FSX.CFG, because that's the default value used so, writing it back to 1 wouldn't make any difference compared to not having the setting to begin with.

If I choose EXIT without saving and check my Config file SmallPartRejectRadius=1 has been uncommented and is there in its active role (even after I had commented it out).

No, it's not happening. I've just tested it again (not that I had any doubt, but you never know...) and I made the following tests:

- Commented SmallPartRejectRadius=1, launched FSX, open the Addon Manager, it shows 1, and if I close the Addon Manager window with the "Exit" button without pressing "Save to FSX", then I close FSX, it STAYS COMMENTED

- Commented SmallPartRejectRadius=2, launched FSX, open the Addon Manager, it *correctly* shows 1 because the line IS commented, and if I close the Addon Manager window with the "Exit" button without pressing "Save to FSX" then I close FSX, it STAYS COMMENTED and it stays at 2.

I can only confirm the Addon Manager won't change the FSX.CFG if you don't press the "Save to FSX" button. If your FSX.CFG changed, it's either:

1) You pressed the "Save to FSX" button

OR

2) There's another utility running in the background that changes the FSX.CFG, there are several around, like all those made by FSPS for example.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 08:38:26 am by virtuali »

rayh

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 09:04:52 pm »
Ok, Thanks for your testing Umberto .

I checked again and  SmallPartRejectRadius=1 is still in the config file uncommented.  So maybe I have another addon that alters this? hmmmm.

Just one more question please;

Using Bufferfpools my understanding is that the default value is 4000000. If there is no Bufferpools setting added to the FSX.CFG file, FSX would automatically default to this amount correct?
So if I comment out your BUFFERPOOLS line in the Addon Manager file to usepools=0 and poolsize=0 (intending the resulting outcome to revert to the default)  - does this happen or does it actually set the Bufferpools to disabled?

Kind Regards

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 08:48:35 am »
I checked again and  SmallPartRejectRadius=1 is still in the config file uncommented.  So maybe I have another addon that alters this? hmmmm.

You should do my test, instead. Comment it, and verify it stays commented after launching FSX and opening the Addon Manager *without* pressing the "Save to FSX" button. This will confirm you the Addon Manager won't change a setting until you press the Save button.

Using Bufferfpools my understanding is that the default value is 4000000. If there is no Bufferpools setting added to the FSX.CFG file, FSX would automatically default to this amount correct?

I believe the default for FSX SP2 is 3000000, so this is the value FSX SP2 defaults to, if there's no setting, or the setting is commented. We have set it at 5000000 in the Addon Manager but, again, this will only used if you *first* click the "Defaults" button and *then* click "Save to FSX". Otherwise, it will READ your existing setting and will display it there.

So if I comment out your BUFFERPOOLS line in the Addon Manager file to usepools=0 and poolsize=0 (intending the resulting outcome to revert to the default)  - does this happen or does it actually set the Bufferpools to disabled?

Not sure I understand "comment out". If you mean you comment it, meaning the line would start with a ; sign and you save the FSX.CFG file, FSX will then use its own internal default values, which are poolsize=4000000 and usepools=1

The Addon Manager will DISPLAY 5000000, because this is ITS default, which is shown because it could't find any setting in the FSX.CFG file, but again, FSX will not USE it, unless you press the famous "Save to FSX" button.

Basically, you shouldn't think of the tweaks to be what FSX is *using* now. It's more like "what FSX WILL use from the next start IF you'll press the SAVE button"