Author Topic: FSX Access violation error  (Read 11984 times)

Fryman

FSX Access violation error
« on: September 14, 2014, 03:30:49 am »
Ever since I installed the latest version of vLSO 0.8.1.2 beta I have been getting the following error if I shut down FSX before vLSO.
    Access violation at address 004C68A3 in module vLSO.exe. Read of address 00000008.
This error just keeps opening a n error message one after another and the only way to clear it is to use The task manager to end the program. My FSX also gets messed up at the same time. When I try to start over I get a message to update my keyboard commands to a new version and this causes more problems. Has anyone else had this problem?

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
Re: FSX Access violation error
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 05:58:20 am »
Trying to re-create the problem, I did download whole Meridian FCLP stuff (the KNMM scenery, uchi's mod and my Mk14 pack) as well as vLSO 0.8.1.2 beta and then installed the scenery in FSX. Loaded FSX and started vLSO - everything worked as advertised. Two FSX installations were tested (XP SP3 and XP x64).
This and the fact that the program works fine for hundreds of other users makes me believe that something in your system causes this problem. What about previous betas, by the way?
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

Mickey_Techy

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 06:46:50 am »
Paddles,

I have had this issue, off and on, for last few updates now.
Unfortunately,  I can't recreate it with any assurance, so can't help debug it

sometimes it happens,  and sometimes it doesn't.

Having said that, I must admit that due to my pit my FSX setup is slightly complicated and quite a few other programs need to run (some in the background). I cannot overrule if some of these are not incorrectly interfering with vLSO.

I agree with you,  if it works flawlessly on so many different computers,  it should be something local to my computer which is throwing these errors.

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 07:21:07 am »
Yes, this off and on nature of the error suggests there's something local (software or even hardware) making the program to access certain memory areas.
Anyways, I will try to do something about that and localize the error.

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 01:07:04 pm »
Ok, here's another 0.8.1.4 beta specifically compiled to help fix that nasty 'access violation' and 'range check' errors. Nothing has changed in the code, just more debugging options turned on. Please run this version and report any errors with screenshots and brief descriptions (i.e. when and how the error occurs).

That being said, those of you who don't experience any errors can skip this version.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 06:51:13 am by Paddles »

Fryman

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 05:49:52 pm »
I have been away for awhile and have tested this problem again. I downloaded your new beta and have recreated the problem.
To get the problem I started and run FSX in the following order:
Started FSX
Started TIR 5 pro
Started vLSO
Stopped FSX with Esc
Error occurs when the FSX Free Flight screen appears.
Cannot stop vLSO nave to use task manager to end task.

Second test I repeated all of the above but stopped vLSO first then FSX no problems occurred. Pictures are included in doc file.
Do you need additional information?

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 08:02:27 pm »
Fryman, thanks for the bugreport.
I have slightly modified the same 0.8.1.4 beta (fixed issues with locating custom sceneries) so I suggest to redownload the program from here and do the test once again.
Also, could you test the program without TrackIR?

Mickey_Techy

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 08:35:57 pm »
Error occurs when the FSX Free Flight screen appears.
Cannot stop vLSO nave to use task manager to end task.

Second test I repeated all of the above but stopped vLSO first then FSX no problems occurred............

Paddles,

I can confirm that I face the 'issue' in the same manner as described by Fryman above. Unfortunately, at just this moment, I'm unable to do a bug-test and report.

I hope to fix my pit tomorrow and run a few tests tomorrow and will give a feedback.

Fryman

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 06:04:58 pm »
I loaded your last update and here are the results of the tests I did:
Test 1
Started Target software
Started FSX
Did not start TIR
Set up cockpit
Started vLSO
Stopped flight with esc, no problem occurred
Shut down FSX, no problems occurred
Shut down vLSO
Test 2
Same procedure as test 1 except the TIR was started after FSX and left on. No problems occurred
Did same shut down.
Test 3 Same as test 2 but I flew a mission for 45 min. Shutdown was the same as test 1 & 2.
No problems occurred.
Unless something comes up later it looks like your last modification has corrected the problem. I do not normally start up in any other sequence so the solution looks good. Thanks for solving this.

Mickey_Techy

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 06:34:47 pm »
Paddles,

Have spent the last many hours with FSX. It was a Sunday, and I had a lot of catching up to do. :)

During the first flight, I started FSX and then spawned a TacPac carrier WITHIN 50nm of host base, and THEN started vLSO. It threw an exception at me, but only once. I was able to 'okay' it and then carried out my flight as planned. Did three traps during day time, came back to base, changed time to night, took off again and then did a few night traps. No issues.
After RTB and shutting down the plane, I 'escaped' out of FSX and vLSO started to throw the exceptions again.

Shut down vLSO through End Task.

For all the remaining six sorties.......and FSX was restarted each time......vLSO didn't throw an exception.

All flying was done with 0814 ver, and TIR5 was on for all instances, as also a REX, Phidgets and Fibre Accelerator.

I understand that nothing was changed with 0814, except a greater logging level. The symptoms were also as seen in the past. Sometimes the error gets thrown around and other times not.

Thanks for looking into it, :)

Fryman

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 01:48:28 pm »
I still get some errors when flying a mission and shut down while in the air. They have occurred at different times and I have not been able to recreate them well enough to sent in a report. I will try to get information at some point.

MikeB54

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 05:26:49 pm »
Was the cause of the access violations in vLSO ever discovered? I get mine whenever the FSX menu is displayed, especially after I have ended a flight They will continue to pop up until I shut down FSX.

Mike
Snake 21

Mickey_Techy

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 06:36:00 pm »
Was the cause of the access violations in vLSO ever discovered? I get mine whenever the FSX menu is displayed, especially after I have ended a flight They will continue to pop up until I shut down FSX.

Mike
Snake 21
To the best of my knowledge, the exact cause has not yet been discovered.

I get them during FSX shut down also, just like you have described. Additionally, quite often, I get the Exception Error thrown in even when the FSX is running. Just shutting down the vLSO and restarting it usually fixes it, till it happens again.

Despite watching for it, I haven't been able to tie down these errors to any pattern in FSX, and consequently, Paddles is unable to reproduce it at this end.

MikeB54

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2014, 03:29:34 am »
For what it's worth, the access violation problem is gone with 0.8.2.0.  :)

Mike
Snake 21

Mickey_Techy

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2014, 06:23:55 pm »
For what it's worth, the access violation problem is gone with 0.8.2.0.  :)

Mike
Snake 21

I have undertaken six traps in two sorties, since 0820 got released, and am happy that the dreaded AVE (Access Violation Error) has not manifested till now.

I just hope you are right Mike, :)

But, in the past also, I have gotten stumped at various times, so, I will fly it a little longer before waving the green flag :)