Author Topic: Anti-virus/security software removed coutal.exe!  (Read 4805 times)

Captain Fred

Anti-virus/security software removed coutal.exe!
« on: May 06, 2014, 09:19:31 pm »
I install new anti-virus/security suite by Norton/Symantec. I loaded up Prepar3d and the software gave
a message that coutal.exe is not safe and can't be trusted so it removed the program. Is this normal?
Do I have to reinstall GSX to get coutal.exe again? Please advise.  Thank you and chao.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Anti-virus/security software removed coutal.exe!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 09:35:27 pm »
I install new anti-virus/security suite by Norton/Symantec. I loaded up Prepar3d and the software gave a message that coutal.exe is not safe and can't be trusted so it removed the program. Is this normal?

If the antivirus is defective, then yes, it is normal. And Norton is very well known to be the most bugged about detecting false positives.

Do I have to reinstall GSX to get coutal.exe again? Please advise.  Thank you and chao.

This has been discussed countless of times on the forum. When the antivirus is bugged and mistakenly detects the modules as a threat, it must be *entirely* disabled when installing, and be configured to exclude the following files from scanning BEFORE launching FSX for the first time:

YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\couatl\Couatl.exe

The real suggestion, would be switching to a more reliable antivirus, one that doesn't mistakenly identify legit programs as threats, for example the free and always updated MS Security Essentials, which doesn't require any special configuration to run our products.

Captain Fred

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 12:10:45 am »
Thank you, Umberto. I will disable the software.

Chuck Dreier

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 08:47:50 pm »
I also have/had the same problem.  Everything was fine until yesterday when I opened FSX and found GSX was missing.  I went to my add-ons and coutal wasn't there!  I then went to two of my FSDT/Flight Beam airports, KSFO and KIAD and they were only partially there - no buildings, only gates, etc..  What I finally resorted to was a complete uninstall of my add-ons and then FSX Acceleration and FSX.  I'm now in the process of rebuilding everything, but this literally will take days to accomplish.

I've been a Norton user for several years since it was recoded and certainly like it.  But this is unacceptable.  Maybe ESET would be a better choice?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 08:53:18 pm by CDreier »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 03:36:38 am »
I've been a Norton user for several years since it was recoded and certainly like it.  But this is unacceptable.

Sure it's unacceptable and maybe, if you (as a Norton customer) would report that is unacceptable for your that their product mistakenly block a legit product as a threat, they might start to hear it and do something about.

Unfortunately, I given up hope with Symantec, it's their entire program logic that is blatantly flawed, with their absurd "reputation" system. Yes, when you see a report that Couatl.exe is being "infected" by the "WS.Reputation", make it sound as if it was a virus, that's a shameful way to cover their product flawed design.

"WS.Reputation" (if this is the report you got, which is the most common from Norton), is NOT a virus name! It's an indication that a file has been blocked because it hasn't gained enough "reputation" with THEM! This means, every time we update Couatl.exe, and it happens fairly often, because we obviously continue to update it, its reputation with Symantec goes back to zero.

Yes, of course, we can report the issue to Symantec, and I did it countless of times. The result is always the same, and it always happen as a two steps process:

1) When I send the 1st false-positive report, by sending the Couatl.exe for examination, a copy&pasted reply from a Symantec representative arrives, saying that the .exe that has been sent is NOT detected by the antivirus, and they can't replicate the issue.

2) When I reply to this, explaining this .exe is contained in many installers, and is also downloaded online because of the Live Update feature (yes, they even block our site...), the reply is always they WILL white-list it in their next virus update definitions.

That's why their entire design logic is flawed: since they CANNOT recognize a virus there ( of course they can't, there is none... ) but they see a file that has no reputation, when the file is white-listed, is ONLY the file itself, but all the installers that *contains* it don't get any benefit from their white-listing.

We should ideally send every new installer to Symantec, which would amount to several 3GB of data every week or so, which doesn't make any sense, just to conform to their flawed logic.

Another developer ( that doesn't have anything to do with flight simulation ) view on the flawed Norton "reputation" system:

http://www.codeandweb.com/blog/2012/06/23/how-symantec-ruins-independent-developers

Maybe ESET would be a better choice?

Everything would be a better choice. But I keep asking myself why anyone would want to spend any money on an antivirus, or even worse to keep an antivirus subscription current, when there are perfectly fine free alternatives. The MS antivirus is perfectly fine, is not bloated, is always kept updated, and it doesn't mistakenly detect any of our products as threats.

This is what I use since years, before MS Essentials, I used to like the free AVG, and never got ANY virus, ever.

Use the saved money to get more flight sim products, and support smaller developers, instead of such large corporation that profits over the fear of virus and, in order to get a marketing advantage over their competition (the free products don't need to do that), use very questionable heuristic methods to be able to boast the "more virus catched, even those not yet catalogued" catchphrases which means, basically, they just do wild guess at the risk of blocking legit programs, instead of doing the right thing, and blocking only what has been *proven* to be dangerous.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 10:10:44 pm by virtuali »

pete_auau

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 10:55:00 am »
yup   that's why I went  to use mse   its free and havnt  had any issues with it

Captain Fred

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 09:08:32 pm »
UPDATE: I removed that Norton/Symantec crap and purchased and installed ByteDefender Security Suite. No problems at all. GSX and coutal run just fine.
By the way, BiteDefender was rated much higher than Norton.
I downloaded the Norton junk from my cable provider as a "free" part of my cable subscription. I sure will let them know regarding this issue.