Author Topic: Had an interesting experience yesterday...  (Read 5222 times)

WebMaximus

Had an interesting experience yesterday...
« on: April 25, 2013, 03:48:48 pm »
Yesterday I upgraded my motherboard BIOS version and I also restored my Windows disk from a Windows Backup image and after doing this I got some eSellerate error message (250006 or something like that) and then when starting FSX I was asked to activate GSX and the same thing happened for FSDT Geneva.

I read about this and found out this is something that happens as a kind of piracy protection when your hardware is changed but doesn't feel that good if the protection thinks of a BIOS upgrade (or a restore from an image backup) as a hardware change becuase fact is I haven't even touched any of my hardware. Most probably I guess it's the BIOS upgrade that triggered this because I've restored my Windows partition several times before this without any issues or having to reactivate the products from FSDT.

All is fine now after simply pressing OK to reactivate the products but feels a bit so-so having "wasted" an activation without having changed any of my hardware.

Any comments on this?
Richard Åsberg

StevenK

Re: Had an interesting experience yesterday...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 04:12:25 pm »
next time you plan to make any changes all you need to do is go to the addon manager and click "De-Activate"
this will give you back 1 activation so when you do re-activate you wont loose any.

hope that helps
Steven Kiberton
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | AMD Bulldozer FX 6100 3.3Ghz | Coolermaster Hyper TX3 | ASUS Motherboard M5A 78L-M | 16GB DDR3 RAM | EVGA Geforce GTX 550 Ti 1gb PCI Express DDR3 DVI HDMI | 750w Corsair AX750 | 1TB HDD + 120GB SSD | x2 - 20" WideScreen Monitors

WebMaximus

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 04:23:39 pm »
Thanks but I do know I can deactivate the product the way you suggest but since I didn't do any changes to my hardware I didn't think it would be necessary.

Rather I suggest to modify the protection making it a bit more intelligent not triggering for BIOS version upgrades.
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 04:24:58 pm »
As explained many times on the forum, an activation request might be triggered when EITHER changing hardware OR changing the boot drive, and, it's possible it happened because you did BOTH at the same time while updating the BIOS too.

However, is not certain this might have been seen as a new hardware, because the system is able to make a difference between a whole new system, or just a new hardware ID from the previous system.

As also explained many times too, the whole hardware detection strategy is done *entirely* outside our control, by the Esellerate engine. We don't know exactly what parameters are looked for, and we can't even change the policy.

But, since we DO know if you did an hardware upgrade or you installed under an entirely new system (because the difference IS logged on the server), in the unlikely case you'll ever run out of activations, and have to ask for additional ones, since we see the difference, it's fairly obvious we won't have any problems granting you additional activations, when it was clear that, for example, out of 6 reactivations, you made 5 upgrades to your existing hardware.

Not that we usually raise any problems anyway, we denied additional activations in very obvious (and very rare) abuse cases, such as users activating 3-4 different PCs from different part of the world in a very short time (like few hours apart), we had some users that had over 30 additional activations added, because all their requests were logged as hardware *upgrades*, not new systems.

And of course, if you SUSPECT you MIGHT lose an activation because of your maintenance, if you DEACTIVATE all your products BEFORE upgrading/restoring/reflashing your system, you'll gain an additional activation, so your counter won't go up after you reinstall everything.

And again, don't forget there's *another* safety measure in place, which is the 90 days from your last activation, which mean, even if you forgot to deactivate, you have used all your activations, and you can't contact us for any reason, IF your last activation was obtained more than 90 days earlier, a new activation will be granted anyway automatically, even if you have used all your available ones.

I really don't think there's ANY software activation system out there that has some many safe measures to prevent the case of not being able to use the software, and has such user-friendly policy.

WebMaximus

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 04:36:53 pm »
Thanks for the thorough explanation and luckily it isn't that often I upgrade my BIOS version and even less often I do any hardware changes to my computer so I don't think I'll run into any trouble if you have 6 activations "out of the box" and I will also remember to always deactivate your products before I do anything to my computer that would likely trigger the anti-piracy protection.
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 04:36:59 pm »
Thanks but I do know I can deactivate the product the way you suggest but since I didn't do any changes to my hardware I didn't think it would be necessary.

It was explained other times on the forum, that a change in the boot drive or a BIOS reflash might be see as an hardware change. Probably the fact that you did both increased the change of this being considered as such.

Note that some BIOS updates reset the mainboard in a way that is being seen just as if it was a brand new one.

Rather I suggest to modify the protection making it a bit more intelligent not triggering for BIOS version upgrades.

The hardware change is done entirely outside our control by Esellerate, and it's working very good. But that's not the point. The whole point of being worried about "consuming activations", is WHAT you do when they are all gone. Contact support, which means us.

At THAT point you are dealing with actual people, which are (hopefully) more "intelligent" than any software will ever be, which will of course see your situation and it's really easy to make a difference between legit use and abuse. 99.9% of users ARE clearly legit, so they will be reactivated over the 6th activation without any problems.

The really few cases (which are REALLY rare, like 2-3 people every *year*, out of many thousands of customers) that were clearly sharing their serial with someone else might be denied of their activation, but we do that only when it's sure beyond any reasonable doubt.

For example, someone that consumed 4 activation the same DAY of the purchase, and the Serial was activated in the US, then somewhere in Asia after 10 minutes, then somewhere in Europe after 15 minutes, then they require a 7th activation after 1 week...THESE are the cases we question about, everybody else is usually reactivated with no questions asked.

And note, that even those "sharers", WILL be reactivated after 90 days anyway, without our intervention.

jimmynes

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 12:12:41 am »
I have this esselerate error thing now and I didn't upgrade anything.

What should I do???

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 12:34:39 am »
I have this esselerate error thing now and I didn't upgrade anything.

The reason why this could happen even if you haven't physically changed hardware, has been already explained in this very thread. Just confirm the activation and, in case you get the OTHER message, which is "too many activations" THEN you should contact us for a reactivation.

jimmynes

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 12:58:54 am »
Yeah, after a happening a couple of times it seems to have sorted itself out now.

Thanks for replying though!!! ;)