Author Topic: Airport Lights  (Read 2796 times)

gfd

Airport Lights
« on: December 13, 2013, 10:45:05 am »
Greetings
I have purchased CYVR and KJFK. Very well done. I am a newbie to custom scenery and there is something I would like to understand. Example: Sitting on runway at CYVR. Light rain. Runway lights appear to be about 8 to 12 inches off the pavement. There is a bit of haze around the lights and it looks rather artificial. Sort of like a fuzzy ball with a light in the middle, sitting on the runway. Lights above runway not limited to CYVR. Now I don't expect you to speak on behalf of other developers, but you are generous with your advice and guidance. Here is my scenery. Perhaps you could suggest something at my end:

-FSDreamTeam: CYVR, KJFK
-FlyTampa: Montreal
-Orbx: FTX Global, Pacific Northwest
-REX
-FS Global Ultimate Mesh (all 3)

I did not use Orbx runway lights. I previously used REX, but I reverted back to default textures, unchecked runway lights in options and then reloaded REX textures. Maybe I messed up.

It probably sounds like I am buttering you up to get an answer. That is not the case. But as I said above, posting here is an education. You show respect for your customers' needs and intelligence. Any advice on what I might do would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Graham

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Airport Lights
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 11:26:12 am »
Runway lights are a bit of an hack in FSX, because they are by default "effects" and are treated differently than other scenery objects, and don't even share exactly the same coordinates system, similar to airplane wing lights, etc.

However, some considerations should be made:

- Some of our sceneries don't use the default FSX runway lights system, because we need it to be custom in order to precisely control their relationship with the rest of the scenery flat background, prevent flickering, etc. We also use custom lights for PAPIs and approach lights too.

These are KDFW, CYVR and KJFK V2. Using custom runway lights, it means they are NOT affected by any replacement/enhancement product that is normally supposed to affect runway lights, like REX, etc.

- Other sceneries we made DO use standard runway textures, so they might be affected by such add-on products. In this case, there's nothing we can do to control their appearance, either under default conditions, or when using add-on textures replacement products.

gfd

Re: Airport Lights
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 11:41:24 am »
Thanks for the reply. Are you saying then that given the goofy way runway lights were implemented in FSX, it can be impossible to have them sitting on the runway, instead of in the air? How strange!!! If I have to live with it...then that's that. Any chance that the mesh program has 'corrected the elevation'?