Author Topic: Taxiway markings - None  (Read 5632 times)

jpmouse

Taxiway markings - None
« on: April 29, 2013, 12:55:51 am »
In the overhead view I can se the taxiway markings very clearly.  In the VC view, I see only tarmac and I also have no taxi guide marks, (no Red in vc, no yellow in overhead view.  Any thoughts?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Taxiway markings - None
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 01:08:34 am »
Already asked and answered two posts below:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=8525.0

jpmouse

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 01:43:03 am »
Already asked and answered two posts below:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=8525.0

Thanks.  I was able to retrieve the taxiway markings by changing my VC Zoom to 50%.  However still no Progressive taxi markings.

Hnla

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 03:36:02 am »
However still no Progressive taxi markings.

Progressive taxi has never been supported by FSDT, but, do pilots in real life have a magical line telling them where to go ?  :)

jpmouse

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 09:02:40 am »
However still no Progressive taxi markings.

Progressive taxi has never been supported by FSDT, but, do pilots in real life have a magical line telling them where to go ?  :)

Not to my knowledge. The "magic line" helps me to enjoy the simulator within the limitations of a 23" cockpit where it is difficult to read taxiway signs at very large airports.  Thanks for letting me know that FSDT removes this feature.  I found the same problem at KLAX.  However they did not remove them at any of the other FSDT airports I have so I assumed I had done something wrong that caused them not to be visible.  I'm surprised that they did not tell me that they were removed when they responded to my post.  Thanks for filling in for their omission.  Much obliged as I won't worry about the line not being there.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 12:31:45 pm »
Thanks for letting me know that FSDT removes this feature.  I found the same problem at KLAX.

We haven't "removed it", it's a side effect of how the scenery ground layer is made, with native FSX commands and shaders. We simply decided having a better looking ground and a better frame rate ( JFK gained 30% fps from V1 to V2 because of this ) is better than having the Progressive Taxi.

However they did not remove them at any of the other FSDT airports I have so I assumed I had done something wrong that caused them not to be visible.

Only our recent airports use that method (KDFW, KLAX, CYVR and KJFK V2), that's why you still have the Progressive taxi line at the others.

I'm surprised that they did not tell me that they were removed when they responded to my post. Thanks for filling in for their omission.

You never asked for the missing progressive line, you only asked why the yellow taxilines were not visible from the VC, I don't see why such question should trigger a complete reply of *everything* else that we "removed" from the scenery, for example we also removed default ground vehicles...when you subsequently added the question about the progressive lines, you ARE being replied now. I'm sorry for not having replied *immediately* to your 2nd question which mentioned the progressive lines, but it was 12:43 AM in the night here when you posted it...

However, at least for arrival (and we'll eventually add the Follow to the runway feature), the progressive line is basically replaced by the GSX Follow Me car, which at least IS a real-world procedure. It also has the advantage of being available at ANY time, and can direct you at ANY parking of the airport, while the progressive line works only if you enabled the FSX ATC and only to the parking assigned by the ATC.

alehead

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 12:43:35 pm »
Umberto, with all due respect, he did ask about the removal of the progressive taxi aid...

"In the overhead view I can see the taxiway markings very clearly.  In the VC view, I see only tarmac and I also have no taxi guide marks, (no Red in vc, no yellow in overhead view.  Any thoughts?"

No taxi guide marks, no red in VC... is exactly that. I had to read the thread a couple of times, but he did actually ask about the progressive taxi indication...

He only used the phrase Progressive taxi after the exact phrase was mentioned in a follow up post by Boone, upon which he then used the correct term progressive taxi instead of his former confusing term taxi guide marks...

I would say this one is down to language that only native speakers of English can fully assess or appreciate...

I am definitely interested in trying out V2, particularly under the rather generous upgrade offer conditions.

Andrew

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 12:53:07 pm »
Umberto, with all due respect, he did ask about the removal of the progressive taxi aid...

No, he didn't. Maybe this was what he meant, but it's not what he said:

"In the overhead view I can see the taxiway markings very clearly.  In the VC view, I see only tarmac and I also have no taxi guide marks, (no Red in vc, no yellow in overhead view.  Any thoughts?"

He's mentioning TWO things here: a thing he can see (the tarmac), and another thing he cannot see (the taxi guide marks). And he said the marks could be seen from overhead, but not from VC. The progressive lines don't work well in either mode (not always, but usually), so if he's referring to something that is visible only from overhead, but never from the VC, it confirms the interpretation he's referring to the real taxi markings.

When he finally mentioned the Progressive taxi he said:

I was able to retrieve the taxiway markings by changing my VC Zoom to 50%.  However still no Progressive taxi markings.

This seems to indicate he refer to the real world taxi marking as "taxi markings" (which were the only one he mentioned in the first post), and when he refers to the Progressive taxi lines, he clearly add the term to it, so that's confirm exactly what I've understood initially, when someone refers to "taxi markings" only.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 12:55:51 pm by virtuali »

jpmouse

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 10:08:46 am »
To Umberto - thanks for your comments and clarification.  I hope my questions did not offend anyone. I would rather just deal with what I have than to create any ill feelings.  I have most of the FSDT products and enjoy them all.  They are fine products at a reasonable price and I look forward to more of them. Thanks to every one on the forum.  You folks always try to be helpful and I appreciate it.  I have been flight simming for 30 years.  Greatest hobby one could have and we are all blessed to have forums where we learn the most about our craft.  Thanks again.