Author Topic: Coatl editing my FSX.cfg  (Read 3244 times)

bjratchf

Coatl editing my FSX.cfg
« on: April 26, 2013, 12:50:56 am »
Does your software edit the FSX.cfg -without- the user's knowledge. I've found my texture max load set to 4096 each time I start FS. How do I turn this "feature" off?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Coatl editing my FSX.cfg
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 01:02:42 pm »
Does your software edit the FSX.cfg -without- the user's knowledge

Couatl doesn't have anything to do with that, it's some of our installers (because some of our sceneries use 4096x4096 textures) and it's the Addon Manager, when inside FSX. But none of them alter that setting "without the user's knowledge"

If you installed any of our recent sceneries that requires that resolution (KLAX, CYVR), their installer told you it had enabled the 4096 texture resolution.

Also, you can change that setting in-game, without even restarting FSX, by using the "Force HD textures" option, which clearly shows the current texture resolution.

And it's a GOOD feature, because opposite to any other utilities that works *only* on the FSX.CFG, this works BOTH on the FSX.CFG AND directly in memory, which means you can change the setting without having to restart FSX but again, everything is done under YOUR control.

And just to be clear, that setting doesn't mean FSX will use 2048x2048 or 4096x4096 textures everywhere, it only the maximum allowed size, provided a specific scenery/airplane SUPPORTS IT. If you are flying over a scenery or with an airplane that uses standard texture sizes, even if that setting is 4096, FSX will still continue to use standard 1024x1024 textures, no memory will be "wasted" if the product doesn't use HD textures.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 01:06:12 pm by virtuali »

bjratchf

Re: Coatl editing my FSX.cfg
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 12:18:45 am »
Thanks for the info- I did have a closer look at the addon configurator and indeed, 4096 was checked.

I've been battling with OOMs lately and thought that was the culprit. It turns out so far that deleting my FSX.cfg file and starting fresh might have solved it.