Author Topic: New York download error  (Read 3505 times)

JohnB777

New York download error
« on: October 15, 2012, 03:53:22 am »
When I try to download New York JFK intl. airport add on(I have downloaded this product before and there were no errors), My anti-virus program kicks it out immediately after download. It says there is a virus or something called 'WS.reputation.1' and says the it is not safe. Does anyone know what this is.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: New York download error
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 10:40:32 am »
Yes, this has been discussed a lot.

Your antivirus ( I bet it's Norton ) is defective and it's using questionable methods to detect "virus". The "WS.Reputation" is NOT the name of a virus, it's just a silly way to say the file you are downloading doesn't have enough reputation to be considered safe. Which of course doesn't make any sense, since we update our installer so often, they'll never get time to build a "reputation".

And, we keep reporting this to Symantec support, they keep replying this will be fixed in the next virus definition upgrade but, they way their flawed method works, it's enough we simply recompile the installers with a new version number without even changing files inside, that it's considered an unknown file without reputation, hence the bogus "WS.Reputation" alert.

So, as explained in countless of other threads which deal with antivirus, the only way to download when using a flawed antivirus product, is as follows:

- Download and install with the antivirus entirely turned off

- Before turning back on, configure it to exclude the following files from scanning:

YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\Couatl\couatl.exe

YourFSXFolder it's usually C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X, if you installed it in the default folder.

- Now you can turn the antivirus back on, and launch FSX.

- Check you are seeing BOTH the "Addon Manager" menu AND the "Couatl powered products" menu under the "Addons" menu.

Of course, the real solution would be switching to a better antivirus, one that doesn't mistakenly flag legit products as threats and doesn't require any configuration to begin with. For example, the Microsoft Security Essentials, which is both FREE and always updated, is one of the good ones.

JohnB777

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 10:28:19 pm »
How do I configure it to make sure it dosen't scan the two files?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 10:31:53 pm by JohnB777 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 01:02:03 am »
How do I configure it to make sure it dosen't scan the two files?

That depends on what antivirus you use. Refer to your antivirus documentation.

JohnB777

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 03:48:54 am »
It's too confusing, Ill just switch to the antivirus you reccomended. (Microsoft security essentials)