Author Topic: GSX in FS9?  (Read 11115 times)

asandrea

GSX in FS9?
« on: February 28, 2012, 04:10:32 pm »

Why not build the GSX program compatible with FS2004?

We know that the FSX program is incredible, but not all we have a possibility to buy a machine which can withstand the graphics generated by FSX.

Thanks

Cap. Armando Sandrea
Santa Barbara Airlines - Venezuela

ganesh

• Administrator
  • Developer of Couatl
    • Gamecentric
Re: GSX in FS9?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 05:15:17 pm »
First of all, FS9 lacks SimConnect, which is an FSX component that is heavily used by the Couatl Scripting Engine, which runs GSX. Secondly, FS9 does not support the complex skinned-based animations that you see in GSX. Therefore I sincerely believe a lot of features would need to be dropped and a good deal of the rest would need to be re-programmed from scratch using the limited FS9 SDK. We are a little team and we need to concentrate our efforts. Considering that GSX required nearly two years of development, an FS9 porting might take several months, during which we would not be able to provide support and the enhancements we already planned for the FSX version. Between the two options of having fewer satisfied users or a lot of dissatisfied users, I personally prefer the former. I hope you'll understand.
Ganesh
Developer of Couatl

NZEddy

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 05:22:55 am »
Just get Aerosoft AES if your gonna stay with FS9. http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/us/iboshop.cgi?showd,,D10333

asandrea

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 05:03:49 pm »
Thank you very much everyone for responding, Genesh, for one hand I understand all that and at some point I will have to migrate to FSX. And Eddy, currently i use the AES 2.21. Very good but limited.

fipsi

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 11:03:36 pm »
My opinios is that developer slowly but surely should stop developing new products for FS9, because in that way, the code isn't FSX only and at the end FSX user always have to deal with errors and bugs in the program caused by a non native FSX code. I mean Flight Simulator 2004 got released in fall 2003, that's nearly 8 1/2 years, let's be honest, in other game sections, no one would still play such an ''old'' game when there would be a sequel already. (Ok, now two but I don't count Microsoft Flight as a simulator as FSX, FS9... it is) I don't have any problems when people still use FS 2004 as it just needs much less hardware performance and I even understand people who don't want to change even if their system would pass FSX but who have purchased a huge amount of FS 2004 addons and everyone knows that the FS addons aren't that cheap. No, the only thing I want to mention is that you've to decide whether you go with the times or not. If you decide to keep playing FS 2004, then you even have to live with the thoughts that some new products won't be available for FS 2004 anymore. It's just time to go forward. I'm not a developer so I actually don't know the exact work when creating an addon, but I think it'd be better if developers release two seperate FS versions. One for FS 2004 only and with FS 2004 code and one for FSX only and with native FSX code so there wouldn't be that much erros anymore. Perhaps I'm totally wrong, then I apologize for every lie I said, but it's just my idea.