Author Topic: New Hard drive for FSX.  (Read 4373 times)

laxclipper

New Hard drive for FSX.
« on: August 15, 2011, 06:18:53 pm »
Hello,

I was wondering if any one here has ever upgraded their old hard drive for FSx to a new one. I currently have 3 HD's in my system, 1) 74 Gig raptor for the OS, 2) 300 Gig Velociraptor for FSX only and 3) the 1T for storage. I would like to upgarde to a new 600 Gig Velociraptor for FSx with out having to reinstall every thing. I run Windows 7 64 bit.

Any Advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Edgar

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
Re: New Hard drive for FSX.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 06:23:48 pm »
Use something like Acronis to backup the FSX drive, amd just restore it to the new one.  Done!  ;)
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

laxclipper

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 08:09:55 pm »
Wow! Tha easy?

So just back up all 229 gigs and then restore them to the new drive.

I use lots of Photoreal sceneries that's why I use lots of HD space. Okay I will give that a once I buy my new 600 gig veraptor.

Thanks.

Egdar

msalo

• Reach for the sky!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 04:07:49 am »

Be careful.  You might want to De-Activate your FSDT airports before you do that.  I just replaced 2 of my hard drives (Windows Drive, and FSX drive) with new SSD's, and did a clone of the windows drive onto the new SSD.  When I was up and running, and launched FSX, every single one of my FSDT airports errored due to "Machine Mismatch", and I had to re-activate them all.   Funny thing is.  Windows 7 did not have a problem, nor did FSX itself, as far as needing re-activation, or any other software I have on that machine.  Only the FSDT airports.

Lesson Learned I guess...  Just thought I would throw the reminder out here.

-m@
Matt Salo - Minneapolis, MN, USA (KMSP & KFCM)

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 01:46:30 pm »
Be careful.  You might want to De-Activate your FSDT airports before you do that.

Good point, I'd forgotten about that.  Changing hardware will use one of your activations.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 09:11:32 pm »
Changing hardware will use one of your activations.

More precisely, changing hardware AND forgetting to deactivate first, will consume one of your activations. Which are 6, because people *do* forget...