Author Topic: Question for those that know KLAX well.  (Read 3522 times)

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
Question for those that know KLAX well.
« on: October 16, 2010, 01:21:51 pm »
I was watching a show on what I think was the Discovery Channel maybe a year ago or longer, that covered a day with an airline, Southwest I think it was. This isn't the same show that was on CNBC a while back about American Airlines.

Anways, they were talking to one of the guys with the ground crew and I think it was his first day to drive the tug and push back on of the a/c. However the caveat to the whole situation was that the particular gate that the a/c was parked at was a gate that the a/c can only be pushed into and out of because its such a tight fit and has a really bad angle. The poor noob was pretty concerned about his first attempt to push the a/c out without hitting anything.

Can someone tell me which gate that was? I know the details are kind of vague since I cant remember the name of the show and am not sure about the airline, however I am pretty sure it was Southwest.

NG Pilot

• Who needs Airbus when you have Boeing!
Re: Question for those that know KLAX well.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 04:25:14 pm »
I was watching a show on what I think was the Discovery Channel maybe a year ago or longer, that covered a day with an airline, Southwest I think it was. This isn't the same show that was on CNBC a while back about American Airlines.

Anways, they were talking to one of the guys with the ground crew and I think it was his first day to drive the tug and push back on of the a/c. However the caveat to the whole situation was that the particular gate that the a/c was parked at was a gate that the a/c can only be pushed into and out of because its such a tight fit and has a really bad angle. The poor noob was pretty concerned about his first attempt to push the a/c out without hitting anything.

Can someone tell me which gate that was? I know the details are kind of vague since I cant remember the name of the show and am not sure about the airline, however I am pretty sure it was Southwest.

OOOO yeah i saw that on a show called AIRLINE with the ground crews trying to push back the southwest NG from the gate, i dont know the gate number tho, but those tug drivers have some skills :o

Dave81

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 10:48:49 pm »
I believe it's terminal 1 Gate 3 for southwest
Dave S

SirIsaac726

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 07:20:44 pm »
I am almost positive it is gate 1B.  And as someone already mentioned, the show was Airline and it actually went on for three seasons (or really 2.5) and the first season was actually released on DVD.  Word I heard was Southwest didn't want anymore bad publicity because some of the stuff they showed on that show actually made Southwest look bad, even if they did it by the book and every airline would do the same.

But just in case I am wrong in the gate number, here is the overhead view of it: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=33.946305,-118.400695&spn=0.000605,0.001832&t=h&z=20

If this is a recent satellite photo, it appears as if they may have stopped using the gate and I can see why they would.